Make your own form

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Make your own form - 05/06/07 04:18 PM

Do you think I should make my own form using moves I need to work on? or should I stick with practicing the forms I already know?
Posted by: Ninarx

Re: Make your own form - 05/06/07 04:24 PM

I asked my Shihan this same question quite a few years ago and he said to me that making your own forms was a very good exercise because it gave you a deeper understanding of the application of techniques, if you perform a technique and create your own kata you understand the bunkai and you can apply that same thought process to other katas to understand THAT bunkai more effectively.

It really depends what you want to get out this excerise.

Re: Make your own form - 05/06/07 04:26 PM

Thanks,
I like making my own forms before other ones because sometimes I dont feel like I would do that move in a fight, and I would rather practice something I would actually do.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Make your own form - 05/06/07 09:23 PM

I think you should spend more time on the forms you imagine you already know. From there you can move on to imagining what you would do in a real fight or what it might be like to kiss a girl.

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 06:35 AM

Alright. Might kiss a girl?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 07:18 AM

Quote:

Do you think I should make my own form using moves I need to work on? or should I stick with practicing the forms I already know?

I was going to say, what the hell! You might as well as you probably suck anyway and making up forms won't do you any more harm than what you've already sustained.

Then Mark makes HIS point, which was great. So I don't know. I'd say, make some up.

(j/k)

(n/r)

-John

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 07:32 PM

Ok I got a problem. Why does everyone think I suck when they havent even seen me do martial arts before. Most likely I am one of the youngest here, 14, and I have had a lot of experience with Tae Kwon Do and Kungfu. So stay off me, if I ask a question I want a helpful response and not something to stir me up.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 07:43 PM

Quote:

Most likely I (am) one of the youngest here, 14

Which is probably the main reason you suck.

Again j/k and n/r

-John
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 08:30 PM

There are some folks here who have been practicing martial arts twice as long as you have been alive...I would listen to their advice. I've only been practicing martial arts for a little longer than you have been alive (16 years). I wouldn't recommend making your own forms. Give yourself another twenty years or so before you decide what should or shouldn't be in a form. Work hard at learning what your teachers are teaching, absorb everthing you can, even if you don't understand it yet.

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 09:40 PM

Ok thanks,
I respect those comments as long as they arent rude. And making generalizations about me. So thanks
Posted by: oldman

Re: Make your own form - 05/07/07 11:48 PM

Quote:

Why does everyone think I suck when they havent even seen me do martial arts before.

Dude, you posted a video.

I appologise for the crack about imagining kissing a girl. It's just that in my limited experience imagining something whether it is fighting or kissing a girl is often very different than what you imagine. Sometime it's better and sometimes it's much worse.

I would encourage you to work with the best teacher you can find. Listen to him or her. Then practice hard and stop listening to your parents music.

Re: Make your own form - 05/08/07 06:29 AM

Good point forgot about the video ha. Yeah I think today I am going back to kungfu. Its going to be hard tbough because I have football right before it and thats why I have had a break. I am planning on training hard in about 12 days when it is over.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Make your own form - 04/01/08 11:03 PM

Quote:

Did this ever materialize?
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Make your own form - 04/02/08 08:30 PM

I did this when I got my black belt. The katas I liked practicing were Bassai, Jion, Unsu and Heian Godan.

My personal kata had a similar embusen to Jion, with a lot of seizing and balance disruption leading into strikes as opposed to joint manipulation leading to strikes you normally see in kata. It had a lot of fast series of strikes. I'd say it was more Chinese in flavour than Okinawan and Japanese. It was a collection of the most effective self defence and fighting techniques I knew.

I wish I remembered it. It was surprisingly good, but I doubt it ever had the content of an original kata. I didn't know enough then.

A valuable exercise though. Perhaps we all should do something similar even if we aren't kata guys. Like in a flow drill with a partner etc. Anyway, the exercise helped me to understand more bunkai and concepts like evasion and distancing.

Re: Make your own form - 04/04/08 07:31 PM

Nope.
I am sticking with the forms I am learning now. I have been learning like 3 forms at one time, so I need to work on those.
And when I finish learning them, I am going to go back and practice the ones I do know.