chinte

Posted by: student_of_life

chinte - 03/25/07 05:50 PM

hey guys,

i just got back from a seminar this weekend and we covered the kata chinte for part of the weekend. i just want to say that i was real impressed with the bunkai shown. i wanted to get a distussion going on some other bunkai that you folks might have for the kata. i'll start by listing some of the things we did the weekend and we'll compare as we go if any one out there is interested,lol.

starting with the opening circular arm movement.
-i defence against a wrist grab where you loop your other hand under, peel off the attacker and strike anywhere from the bicep,clavical or nose.

the step out into kiba dachi with your hands out at head height, then shift into sochin daci shuto strike followed by a vertical punch into your hand.
-intercepting a round punch to your head with your left arm, and srtiking the neck with the other. the following knife hand strike strike the bicept of the opponent as he round punches at your head with his left arm, followed by a neck crank.

i hope that starts a conversation, if anything is not clear please ask again. let me know what you think!

yours in life
Posted by: Barad

Re: chinte - 03/26/07 08:36 AM

Chinte is girl's kata-you fight like girl. No, only joking-I like Chinte too. It is supposed to be a kata for women according to some Japanese. Presumably we are going to have to speculate on the jumps at the end, are they just to get you back to starting position or do they have a use (jumping on someone's head lying behind you maybe! )

I once saw an intersting bunkai suggesting the palm strikes in fudo dachi were against the head of a person tackling you round the waist (so his head at your chest height) followed by nakadaka uke to someone grabbing from behind (in truth to me the strike behind seems a bit weak but it may depend on whether you hit someone's ribs or temples) and then turning and using the same strikes again to follow up behind...alternatively the head thrust forward as hands go behind may be a headbutt to the grappler who you just hit with the palms and the turn with fists in nakadaka may be a throw.

I think chinte are also spikey bamboo staves that Okinawans tied to their forearms as weapons, reminiscent of the eye poke finger strikes in the kata.

B.

Re: chinte - 03/26/07 01:42 PM

I guess there are also:

-the throws practiced on both sides where both hands end up low to the side palm up (similar to the movement in Gojushiho)

-obvious one knuckle strikes to grabbing hand, uchi uke grip break and eye poke

-flinch open hand block against hook followed by slap to back of attacker's head with same open hand that just blocked and then punch into attacker's head that you are now grabbing, now at your chest level (fist into palm in the kata)...bad girl fighting!

Re: chinte - 03/28/07 09:40 AM

Since you started the thread, I kind of assumed you wanted to talk about Chinte?

B.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: chinte - 03/28/07 07:14 PM

Quote:

Since you started the thread, I kind of assumed you wanted to talk about Chinte?

B.

*Chuckles*
Poor naive fool...

Re: chinte - 03/28/07 07:52 PM

haha, sorry for the late reply my man, i've been real busy with school for the last few days.

i just had a whole post typed p and explorer kicked my arse off and i lost it all.....(calm your self mark....)

anyway, your bunkai sonds good to me. the only thing i would add is..

-the double inside outside blocks in kiba dachi then into crane stance= block a round house punch, while hitting his neck with your forearm, and feed your hand behind his neck and the knee rising for the stance goes into his ribs or other vital.

-and the "eye pokes" near the end i like to think of as egal claw type moves, where the first one grabs onto his bicept or peck or something, then the other palm strikes him in the chest and slides your fingers into his neck and grabs his windpipe for the win.

i have to say that chinte is fast taking the tekki kata's place in my list of favorites, the bunkai i've been taght for it really relates well to how i look at self defence, in close and going for the throat and the take down.

is it too much to ask of you to maybe post a vid of some of your stuff?? i can get a video camera in about a week and stick some of my stuff up so we can compare with a bt more clarity maybe??

thanks for the replies again

yours in life

Re: chinte - 03/30/07 04:25 AM

I have seen the two finger arm grips in kungfu styles but I have never seen how they are stronger than gripping with all fingers/thumb, although the principle is the same. Interesting idea about the palm followed by the poke to something soft-I am open to that as an extrapolation.

I agree I think with the forearm movements, seeing them as a sliding (as kata) choke/jacket grip perhaps pulling into a knee strike with arms apart (double gedan bari) as securing a neck and an arm, which I think is something like you were suggesting but I have seen other applications for this.

I am about to go away for a month and I don't have a camcorder (and I am not sure about putting myself in film on the net anyway) so I will not be filming myself anytime soon but I am happy to descibe in better detail what I have in mind if it is not clear.

B>

Re: chinte - 03/31/07 01:55 PM

ok buddy, im home for the weekend and my brother and i were bored so we picked up the camer and filmed some bunkai for chinte, he helps me out as best he could, and i want to thanks him for being brave enough to eb teh attacker in the vid,lol.

anyway, i know the angles arn't the best, but i was hoping you could see what i was talking about a little more clearly, please tell me what ya think of it

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2510689533044185306

yours in life
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: chinte - 03/31/07 03:09 PM

Great video Student, some very interesting ideas. I would consider revising whether one would require quite so many counters from wrist grabs. they are extremely common in fighting though most dont notice or realise when they are happening, but there still seems to me an exceptional number in your interpretation.

All the same nice work!

Re: chinte - 03/31/07 04:41 PM

points taken, now that i look at it, there are alot of wrist grabs, wow. i never even considered it when we were filming this morning, i just decided to start the applications from a close distance and against thoes commen acts of vilence (round house punches, and grabing alot due to close distance) its just the way it worked out. thanks for the comments tho.

anything else? lo, there's always something else...

yours in life
Posted by: pen_and_sword

Re: chinte - 04/01/07 03:11 PM

There are a few techniques that you seem to have skipped. I'm sure it was just due to lack of time or what have you, which is fine. The two downward fists before the finger strikes for example, Could be applied as striking the opponents collar bone which, I know from experience, rattles the cage quite a bit. Other then that. Nice vid
Posted by: tubbydrawers

Re: chinte - 05/29/10 08:13 PM

Hello,

Sorr im a few years late in seeing this post.!!! I have been thinking of doing the kata for my 2nd grading. I wanted to know what people thought of the 2 finger inside block.

ie the part where you do a inner block but with the 2 fingers sticking up as if i am swearing at you, just before the 2 finger strike.

as pen said above what do you all think the knuckle strikes are for.

thanks