wow....wait!....wow???

Posted by: student_of_life

wow....wait!....wow??? - 03/16/07 12:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0tumrBK4w&mode=related&search=

these guys can really move, there technique is fast and their preformance is really in time with eachother. the bunkai......

unsu is a popuar kata to preform at the WTF competetions, its long and it takes some kind of athlete to preform it like they do.

what i wanted to ask was what every one thought about the bunkai for the kata they produced. i know its a competetion and to stay on top in the judges minds they have to come up with new ways of displaying their ability to get the edge on the other competetors.

i've never seen what i would consider good aplication to this kata, and i've never studied it in any depth what so ever, so i can't really have much of an opnion on the matter.

so, what do you guys think? even the ones who don't pratice the kata, is this stuff worth teaching as self defence?? (im holding back the laugh's) or is it left to the WKF athletes to impress judges and win shiny new medals while there young and in shape??

and, are there any reasources that you would point out that you consider good application for the kata unsu. any stlye is welcomed, hell i learned alot of bnkai from seeing goju kata proformed, so keep em coming!!

yours in life
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: wow....wait!....wow??? - 03/16/07 01:23 PM

The kata performance was fantastic!

I liked the interpretation of the opening sequence in cat stance. I think the rest was just for show but the camera was not well placed for some of the apps. Interestingly Harada Sensei the founder of Shotokai Karate once described the arial technique as a jumping back kick. I've never seen any good analyses of this kata.
Posted by: Ives

Re: wow....wait!....wow??? - 03/16/07 01:44 PM

I didn't quite like it that much.
It was to choreographied(sp?). And the bunkai was to 'in to the box thinking' nothing new.
In my opinion they see the embusen to much as their guideline. Whereas the techniques should be.

But I have to say, they do have great timing.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: wow....wait!....wow??? - 03/16/07 01:52 PM

you said-In my opinion they see the embusen to much as their guideline.

i think i agree, i was toght that the embusen is the direction in which the power is transfered, and not to be concerned really with sticking to it to a tee when preforming bunkai.

yours in life
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: wow....wait!....wow??? - 03/16/07 08:32 PM

Phenominal peformance of the kata, but I agree that some of the bunkai was less than practical.