More Bushi No Te Isshinryu

Posted by: Victor Smith

More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 08:26 AM

Several other Bushi No Te Isshinryu studies (in addition to our Isshinryu)

The Bando stick form came from a Bando Summer Camp I attended in 1982 in Maryland, and the Gojushiho is from the practice of another or my instructors/friends, Tristan Sutrisno.

The stick is included in our Black Belt kobudo practices.

Gojushiho is included in our Instructor studies.

Bando Form the Hidden Stick by Young Lee - 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YINL1XMHdm8

Gojushiho Kata performed by Young Lee - 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4m95IbL8vs
Posted by: JoelM

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 11:45 AM

Excellent performances!
Posted by: harlan

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 11:53 AM

Fascinating!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 11:53 AM

Hey Victor! Very nice forms, you should be proud! That's really a good reflection on his instruction. The stick form reminded me of a short-stick form that I used to do at my AKK school. Similar low strikes, but we did not have any locks like what seemed to be in your form.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 11:55 AM

some of the movements half way through gojushio look......more like a chinease way of moving then alot of other karate systems i've seen. by that i mean that he "rolls" through the moves and has a general flow that many karate ka don't. i like it alot.

you've posted alot of video's of this young lee, if you get the chance tell him that a bunch of faceless names on the internet think he is doing a great job.

the one question i have about his proformance of gojushio is that his head seemed to snap forward during alot of the moves. is this a purposfull thing, ie because of the particular way he's is generating power, or is it something else??

thanks for sharing victor

yours in life
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/26/07 01:02 PM

It's really more happenstance that Young is shown on the several videos. We don't spend time making video records, and as he decided to compete one more time for fun, that someone filmed him was the reason we have that record.

If you watch his Kusanku video from 1994 you get to see some of what 15 years of additional development does to one's technique.

His efforts are really because of the super focus he puts on his own training. I have other students that are similarly gifted, IMO, but I also have a very small program by design. Which means mistakes don't get hidden in group practice.

His stick performance is pretty good. His Gojushiho is fine, but he can and does do better. Performance is like that.

The Sutrisno kata technique are very much a combination of hard and soft, and the rolling through the moves is trying to stay in touch with its original version, this carries over into the application studies of that art.

Young's head movements are a product of his focus in the individual technique. Not taught a such, but a byproduct of generating the technique. It's more an individual variance of technique execution.

Matt, perhaps if we can get together this year I can show you some of those applications, they're quite interesting, and yes there are locks in the art.
Posted by: Stampede

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/27/07 10:30 AM

I hope one day I get near that level of technical proficiency.

The resemblance is probably due to the presence of the stick, but the Bando Hidden Stick form reminded me of the kobudo form Chizi kun bo.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: More Bushi No Te Isshinryu - 01/27/07 11:29 AM

very solid karate and bando Victor, thankyou for sharing with the group.