Shotokan Bo Kata?

Posted by: HighfirstKyu

Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/04/06 09:03 PM

Hello, I am going to test for my Black Belt soon, and I was wondering:
What does 'Shoshinikan' mean?
Sorry if I spelt that wrong, but it's the bo form in Shotokan Karate.
Thank you for anyone that helps me!
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/04/06 09:25 PM

i've been trying to figure that out for about a year now, all i've got so far is that he's easy to anger, quick to take a shot back at ya, and his mother wares army boots!!

sorry, don't know that kata.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/05/06 10:13 AM

I would have to guess that it is a bo form unique to your school and your school only, as Shotokan is an empty hand system only. You might want to ask the person who is teaching you this kata.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/07/06 08:56 PM

Is it possible the kata you are refering to is Sushi no Kun? If so than that is bo kata of the ryukyu kobudo lineage. It is even rumored that Funakoshi taught this kata to Taira Shinken Sensei. Shinken Sensei is considered by some to be the father of Modern kobudo
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/10/06 08:26 PM

Shushi no Kon--> lit., "Shushi's stick (form)", "Master Shushi's stick method volume 1."

It is a good form with a lot of applications against empty hand and other cudgel and baton type weapons, with plenty of throws, sweeps and striking of vital points after disarming empty handed and armed opponents (striking of wrists, disarms).

It is worthwhile learning the Okinawan version (Soyeshi) taught by Patrick Mc Carthy Hanshi.

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 05:11 PM

Ok, thank you everyone for your help!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 05:49 PM

You are welcome,Dojostudent. Yes...we know.
Posted by: Dojostudent

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 06:14 PM

know what....that's not me haha. honest. that's my bro lol. He started the same day as me and still goes to the same dojo as me. He's getting his black belt this month, hopefully, n im getting it hopefully in Jan.

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 06:19 PM

Wow, I feel awkward...
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 07:12 PM

I'm not buying it. It's against the rules to use more than one screenname,just to keep everyone honest.

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/11/06 07:17 PM

well i know the truth and I only have one, and my bro only has one. Other than our words I don't know how else we can prove to you that we're not lying, and I'm being 100% dead serious right now. My bro is Highfirstkyu and I'm Dojostudent....TWO seperate people.....TWO seperate karate careers....TWO different profiles, how else can this be proved?
Edit: just curious, what do you think there is to gain from having more than one screenname?.....cuz i can't think of any logical reason.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/15/06 07:49 AM

Quote:

cuz i can't think of any logical reason.

Ah, a Troll Virgin.

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/15/06 10:08 AM

uh sorry......what?

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/15/06 06:44 PM

Please, I don't want to start anything. I just wanted to get my question andswered(which I did), I didn't want anything to happen.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Shotokan Bo Kata? - 12/15/06 10:26 PM

Yes, I think we can safely say that Dojo is not Dr. Jerkyll and High is not Mr. Hyde.