Hohan Soken Chinto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzWNg1xUtZQ&mode=related&search
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/06/06 10:39 PM

The katas make more sense.
good find victor
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/06/06 11:36 PM

O' Sensei was over 80 years old when that was filmed...

And his Chinto still looks far better than my own

Page
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 06:44 AM

nice find Victor, I have seen both before and find them very interesting.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 09:23 AM

What is new is they are openly available on the net.

There is an explosion of material showing up. Much that was kept private, and the future portends even more coming.

It appears if it's ever been filmed it will be coming to your pc screen, soonent.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 10:29 AM

Yes of course Victor, the youtube type of website is massivly popular.

good stuff I say as it opens things to people who are interested.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 11:02 AM

If I could ask, how do these versions relate to some of you practitioners out there and how you perform the katas.

Techinques the same?
Timing?
Stances?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 11:11 AM

You know...from a newbie standpoint...being able to view all this video has been very confusing. I asked before: what is real goju...because every goju video I saw was different from each other...and different from what I was seeing performed in the dojo.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 12:12 PM

Thats a younger Kise than I've ever seen before.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 12:33 PM

Oldman, The site has been revised, and changed form Kise Kusanku to Nishime - Kushanku. Apparently someone realized there was a mistake. I agree I first saw Kise Sensein in Penna, in the early 80's, and he was much older than that video.

Doing a google - Nishime began training in Shorin-ryu Karate when he was 14 years old. He belonged to the Shima Dojo and his teachers were Sensei Shima, Sensei Kishaba, and Sensei Taba. He also studied the Yamani Ryu system of weapons from Sensei Kishaba’s younger brother

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 12:46 PM

Hi Harlan,

I understand your questions about the different performances.

There are two likely lines of thought.

First different there are different lineages in the goju tradition, and the kata performances in those lineages reflect that. Miyagi did not develop a unified method of instruction, and trained many people in different ways, apparently. After his death as Gojo became more formally organized and they adopted different methods of study (such as learning all of the kata) the differences became more evident in the new factions that developed.

But another reason is that each performer is in a different level of training and development, and their kata execution reflects where they are. Then add different people have different physical potentials and more 'flux' enters the picture.

Unfortunately the differences too often keep people apart, instead of helping them work to understand the why, and growing together.

This is not a Goju problem, it's an issue in every system.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 01:55 PM

Victor, I doubt that is the Nishime you are speaking of. I have personally met him and his lineage is Matsubayashi, and that Kusanku, although performed well, is not Matsubayashi's. However, it may be him and he is simply performing another version. But the Kusanku of Shima Sensei, Taba Sensei, and Kishaba Sensei(when he studied Matsubayashi) is different.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 02:03 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately the differences too often keep people apart, instead of helping them work to understand the why, and growing together.

I completely agree with Victor on that. the only thing I'd add is the fact that someone who's been doing kata for a while like the men in the video, are likely able to control how much of the interpretations are apparent during performance. for instance showing 100% intent during kata would transform it into a kind of 'sloppy' looking shadow boxing. whereas on another end of the spectrum, is the formalized, stylistic and/or exaggurated kata shown during tournaments for instance - not being graded on showing purpose but rather the performers athletic ability and precision of movements and 'visual appeal' (dramatic pauses, low stances, enthusiasm, etc).

you can imagine the amount of gray area between those two extreams. the videos in the opening of the thread, to me, look as though these men are performing within that gray area....with a lean towards stylized movement. thats where criticism of kata stems from: evaluating stylized movement's 'effectiveness' instead of looking at the version which shows intent...and then, the person being able to demonstrate that aim against realistic attack.

thats where all of our disconnected views come from when commenting on kata video online, IMO. some are looking for the purpose/application and don't see it - some are looking at the technical performance and it might look 'sloppy' to them. We all evaluate with preconceptions of what our own ideas of 'ideal' are biases based on and what we've seen and are interested in.

not only are there gray areas in performance and purpose, but there are variations of observation. therefore my first question before veiwing a kata clip would be to the performer, "what are you intending to show?"

what is likely these men are showing?

misinterpret and you'll extract manufactured intent from stylized movement giving you one dimensional stylized responses from someone attacking you with no style in mind.

my guess is that 98% of kata practice is stylized movement and 'bunkai' derived from those less than natural movements. but it's also my guess that I'm 49% of the time wrong when I guess.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 02:36 PM

Hi Med.,

As to who the clip is, I only had their tag, and individual who posted it changed the name. It poses one of the innumerable questions about all material, books, videos and internet, is it correct?

What you see is what you see. The Kusanku is generic Shorin in many respects. I could take the time to dig out my video footage of Soken and compare them, or I could dig out my Toshiki Gillespie version and compare it too.

But the ultimate truth isn't mine to distinguish.

The clips are only touch points.

That Kusanku is similar to a Shorin Kusanku I studied many years ago, but also different and it is different from my Isshinryu version, but after a few decades of work I know I appreciate my own version more.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/07/06 05:45 PM

Whilst im no authority on kusanku (It is a kata I have just begun in the system I train now) I see massive similarities to the version we practise within Shinseido Shorin Ryu (Seito Matsumura based.)

Budoc or Bryan are the men for this one I guess.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/08/06 05:32 AM

Apparently I found the wrong Nishime. A friend in Japan is researching further but it's nto the one in America teaching Mabsubayshi Ryu and Yammani Ryu. Instead its a student of Sokeh Hohen.

If I find out more I'll post it.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 08/08/06 07:32 AM

I shall ask my Sensei today he will know for sure, im no expert and the video isnt particulary clear.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/13/06 06:51 AM

any confirmation on who this is training Kusanku yet?

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/13/06 07:51 PM

Quote:

Whilst im no authority on kusanku (It is a kata I have just begun in the system I train now) I see massive similarities to the version we practise within Shinseido Shorin Ryu (Seito Matsumura based.)

A 'big' differentiator that this kata is Seito, from general observation, is notice that on the shuto uke's the rear hand is palm down (well ok half down, at an angle) most other shorin systems I have encountered the rear palm is up.

My money is on that this is Kise Sensei and it is HIS Seito Matsumura, I think the guy may have changed the name for a reason??? perhaps copyright etc etc.

Budoc or Bryan are the men for this one I guess.

Hi Jim

Quick question. I have been studying kushanku (restudying)
and even in the same style the interpretation gets changed.
The grandmaster has the answers. The understudies(5th dans etc) have an answer that to me makes less sense and it isnt the principle the grand master is trying to put forward.

Might this apply to different ways of doing katas?
The change in techniques such as a fist or an open hand etc I think is subject to the specific target area reached by applying the principle.

Andy

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/14/06 04:55 AM

'Quick question. I have been studying kushanku (restudying)
and even in the same style the interpretation gets changed.
The grandmaster has the answers. The understudies(5th dans etc) have an answer that to me makes less sense and it isnt the principle the grand master is trying to put forward.

Might this apply to different ways of doing katas?
The change in techniques such as a fist or an open hand etc I think is subject to the specific target area reached by applying the principle.'

Personally for me each kata movement embraces a core priciple/lesson, often 2-3 actually. And generally instructors in the same system should undertand/demonstrate those principles - the system principles passed on in kata.

Then of course you get the 'little bits and bobs', which ultimatly become personal as each instructor is different, as is each student, so for application traiining this aspect shoud be considered personal, once the core message is understood and drilled.

now to the kata, I understand kata as meaning mould/shape and with that in mind it should look very alike technically from whatever instructor who demonstrates - this is the base form that is taught within the system.

however over time the base form will of course become part of the instructor and they will naturally perform the movements as the visualise what is going on better, and that changes day to day, moment to moment. My 'hard arse' Naihanchi looks different from my 'soft' naihanchi - but it is really the same.

I hope that makes some kind of sense and is of use!
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/14/06 07:13 PM

This is my first time here so please bear with me. I usually don't bother with these forums but I was so impressed with this thread I had to make a comment. First it is obvious to me that all of you have a really good grasp on the subject at hand and all have valid points. Here is what I have experienced. I began my training in Matsubayashi Ryu in 1968 under Terry Sweet. But I have been a student since I was 10 yrs. of age (Judo). I was fortunate enough to train in Okinawa with Master Nagamine. Name a major figure in Shorin Ryu between 68 and now and I have either trained with them or at least observed them at close range. I was granted my first dojo license in 1976 by Master Nagamine. Have any of you seen the first Matsubayshi Ryu video released by Takayoshi Nagamine? That old black and white film of Takayoshi doing kata----well i'm the guy who filmed that a couple of decades back. I have seen Kusanku and all of the other forms performed in person by father and son and by other greats such as Taba, Iha, and so on and on. And trust me, no one does them exactly the same. Last March I was reunited with Master Taba and had the chance to sit with him and four of his master instructors from Okinawa. The subject turned to kata and the differences in the way that all of the organizations calling themselves "Matsubayshi Ryu" interpret them. Taba had this to say. First of all Americans spend too much time with philosophy and trying to copy other peoples technique. While striving for perfection is admirable what is more important is the bunkai. There are too many kyu ranks and lower rank dans worrying about Kusanku when they don't even understand the Pinans. I have heard master Nagamine make the same statement on many occasions. When I asked Sensei about people changing the kata's he had this to say. That changing the kata is in itself not a bad thing if your purpose is "to take it higher". But to try to change something you do not fully understand yourself is just defeating the who purpose of the kata. He pointed out that all of the kata have undergone changes. A major problem he pointed out is Okinawan instructors who changed the forms to make them more pleasing to non Okinawan students. It was a very thought provoking 3 hour discussion way to long to cover here. But I believe that all of you have the right idea. Anyhow, forgive me for rambling on. You are all a credit to the art. Keep punching and kicking. Respectfully. Bob
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/14/06 09:45 PM

Wow you are so fortunate to have had such experiences. Welcome to the forums. I look forward to hearing more about your experinces
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/15/06 02:21 AM

What's up Bob. It's Marcel, I was there at the seminar with you. I especially enjoyed the last day in Columbus where there were only 3 of us being instructed and corrected by Taba and the okinawans. I hope everything is going well.

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/15/06 05:57 AM

Welcome Bob.
I also look forward to hearing more about your expereinces

Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/15/06 06:31 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Give me some time to navigate and I will post my profile. Marcel it is great to hear from you and I hope you are well. The seminar was fun. But one thing will stick in my mind a long time. It was trying to learn Bo technique in a room full of low hanging crystal chandeliers. Now that is bound to improve your technique.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kusanku - Kise - Chinto - Soken - 09/15/06 09:56 PM

Welcome, Bob. Thank you for the insights.