Origins of Gojushiho

Posted by: HiddenFist

Origins of Gojushiho - 07/04/06 11:34 AM

Greetings all,
I am looking for information on the origins/history of the kata Gojushiho. Does anyone happen to know about this kata?
- HiddenFist
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/04/06 11:41 AM

My notes so far, nothing confirmed just collected ramblings from different sources -

Gojusiho (54 Steps) PHOENIX SYMBOLISM
Old Okinawan Useishi
Black Tiger?
Useishi (Gojushiho, Hotaku) - "the Phoenix", okinawanische Kata from the Itosu school with origin in China, in Japan "fifty-four steps" (Gojushiho) and occasionally in "woodpecker knocking" (Hotaku) renamed
Fifty-four Steps Phoenix 54 Ways to Kill. Go Ju also means Hard and Soft. Many subtle diversified movements.

The Korean animal spirit associated with the form is the Tiger. The desired intentions of the form are to be fearless, powerful, quick to walk away after the threat is gone. Speed of Performance and accuracy in focus of Delivery are key.

origin in the Phoenix Eye style

Gojushiho Dai consists of many advanced open-handed techniques and attacks to the collar bone

Gojushiho is an old kata that is mentioned in the Bubishi (Old Chinese martial arts text). The name means "Fifty four steps" and is referred to in the Bubishi as "Fifty-four Steps of the Black Tiger". The kata really shows the Chinese influences with it's many circular hand movements, finger striking techniques and fluid nature.

Some versions of the kata contain a "drunken" staggering type movement, although, this movement doesn't occur in the Matsumura version.

Useishi is usually called Gojushiho, which means 54 steps whose movements are said to resemble a drunken man.

54 Steps Black Tiger and use of White Crane Fist (Oldest Okinawan)

Hope that is of interest and some use, it should open up the discussion nicely, handy as this is my latest addition to my kata studies, useishi that is.

Posted by: medulanet

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/04/06 07:46 PM

Gojushiho, the Matsubayashi version is said to be that of Iju. Gojushiho is a complete system of palace hand or udundi and includes the drunken techniques as well(which by the way are used to throw your opponent clean across the floor just before smashing their face in.) An advanced kata which appears to have an overwhelming theme of immobilization followed with striking and finally slamming your opponent on a hard surface or into other people. I assume due to the indoor techniques in this kata it was specifically developed for the royal bodyguard to protect the king in the palace.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/05/06 12:11 AM

Thank you for this information.
I was aware of it's mention in the Chinese bubishi, and it's reference to 54 steps and the black tiger. I was hoping to find out more about how old this kata is, how it was developed, and why Shoshin nagamine's version ( drunken man) differs from Matsumuras ( black tiger) forms. thank you again - Hidden Fist

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/05/06 12:43 PM

I can't tell you why one does and one does not, but I can tell you that in Matsubayashi the drunken postures train a high level of kazushi(breaking your opponent's balance) so you can throw them on the ground very, very, hard and preferrably face first. It is a different way to train the sinking(falling) principles learned up to this point. It seems to combine several principles from katas such as Ananku, Naihanchi, Wankan, and Wanshu. I also believe that Matsubayashi maintains the principles of the Black Tiger as well as Phoenix.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/05/06 07:54 PM

Just to confirm the version I practise (Seito Matsumura Based) does not have the drunken movements, im sure you all knew that.

Be very interested in what the principles of the Black Tiger system are Medulanet, really help me out as info in that area is hard to come by.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/05/06 09:48 PM

I'm pretty sure Nagamine learned the kata from Kyan. Kyan learned it from Matsumura (or his head student Itosu). So any change between the Matsubayashi version and the Matsumura version must have come from Kyan. The same can be said of Chinto.

As for the black tiger principles in Gojushiho...it's hard to see in the present version the kata. Of course, it could depend on which black tiger style might be referred to. There could be more than one. The Bubishi mentions it once, but doesn't say anything about what it is or where it's from. The black tiger I know is from northern China, Shantung Province. It is considered a Shaolin derived style. The more acrobatic elements from the northern system are obviously absent in the karate kata, like drop kicks, dropping iron broom sweeps, cartwheel kicks, and attacking from the ground (some of these techniques actually do appear in the Bubishi, however). The black tiger I know also employs lots of claws/palm techniques. The hand formation is loose, employing a whipping power. The part of the kata which feels most like black tiger to me is the shuffling forward steps with the knife hands. a small adjustment in hand position to a raking/clawing motion would make the technique almost identical to sections in a couple of the black tiger forms I know. The drunken/stumble motion in matsubayashi version could also fit in with black tiger methods, especially in the "wounded tiger". Of course, I am far from knowing all of the black tiger system, and Gojushiho obviously includes techniques from other styles as well (the phoenix/crane for one, with the beak).

On an interesting side note, I have a book on Shantung Black Tiger which shows an arm toughening drill which is identical to the arm conditioning drill used in my old karate school. (done with a partner, striking the forearms together). Coincidence?

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/05/06 10:44 PM

Yes, the palm strikes/nukites are what I was referring to as from the black tiger as well as the preceding nekoashi dachi shuto ukes. In Matsubayashi's Gojushiho the nukites are not only finger tip strikes but imply striking with all surfaces of the hand, which includes palm strikes and thumb strikes which is the old way of striking with a nukite from udundi. Phoenix techs are those such as the double upper strikes, punch and kick combos, and the back fist strikes used in conjuction with immobilization and some of the finger tip strikes. And yes crane is seen in the beak strikes and some of the double elbows. Again, I don't know everything about black tiger, phoenix, and crane, but I do know okinawan karate and that these elements were included in Gojushiho. Now, as to who Nagamine learned Gojushiho from I don't know if he learned it from Kyan. I personally believe that he learned it much earlier either from Arakaki(of a lineage independent from Kyan), maybe Iha Kodatsu, or may be an earlier teacher. I believe this simply because Matsubayashi's Gojushiho is different from those systems influenced by Kyan. Next time I attend a Takayoshi Nagamine seminar I will ask him if he knows who taught his father Gojushiho. Or maybe when I see Taba I will ask him. However, I am almost certain that Nagamine's Gojushiho is from a different lineage than Itosu. It is, again, an entire family system of udundi and contains many unchanged principles of that system. The dead give away is the nukite strikes used which contain the old method of striking, the suppression techniques, and the throwing techniques used. In udundi a practitioner would simply walk and could dispach his enemies as if strolling through a park with strikes and throws. Matsubayashi's Gojushiho's linear pattern straight forward and back mimics this.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 12:33 AM

Greetings all,
I just have to say that all this information is great and I have learned some interesting things on this topic.
Thank you all so much.
The version of Gojushiho I am familiar with consists primarily of tiger claw techniques to vital points and reverse round kicks that simulate the whipping of the tiger's tail, it also consists of 54 steps. - HiddenFist

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 04:22 AM

Hi Hiddenfist,

could i ask what version you practise? Just interested.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 10:27 AM

It may be of interest that perhaps the older name for Gojushiho is Useishi. John Sells ("Unante") calls Useishi a chinese derived word synomous with Gojushiho.

Sells also mentions that the possible Matsumura - Kyan lineage versions tend to begin by dropping on one knee with a reinforced forearm block/strike, where the more modern versions (Itosu-Mabuni-Funakoshi lineage) start with a standing mid level backfist strike.

Personally I find the emphasis that some versions contain drunken movement an overstatement of the movement. If there is a Chinese source for the form, and you take a look at other Chinese 'drunken' forms, there is no credible cross-reference. But perhaps drunken means different things.

One Matsubshi Ryu offshoot (Kashiba Juku) practices drunken versions of all of their kata movements.

Even with the continual tidal flow of kata movement there are great similarity between all of the Gojushiho kata if you step back a bit.

Some views for contemplation

You find a pdf file showing one version of Gojushiho sho and dai (I'm not sure how close to shito-ryu and/or shotokan versions this is - haven't done the research)
http://www.bushido-kai.net/budoya/img/GojushihoDaiShoSeuqence.pdf

A different version can be found here: (Dentokan related to Kyan's)
http://proxy.ee.kent.ac.uk/~cpb2//Dentokan/Shorin_Ryu/Gojushiho.mov

Wado version
http://www.johnstonkarate.net/downloads/page0002.html
shito-ryu
http://shitokai.com/movies/manzoiwata.php

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 11:23 AM

'Sells also mentions that the possible Matsumura - Kyan lineage versions tend to begin by dropping on one knee with a reinforced forearm block/strike'

confirmed from the Matsumura lineage, not sure re the Kyan Lineage.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 01:44 PM

Interesting Victor. Although I have not read Unante is the difference in the initial technique in Gojushiho a function of the standing mid-level strike being more modern, or a different lineage such as Tomari rather than Shuri. Having trained with Matsumura for so long he was probably exposed to the karate of the other Peichin including Oyodomari and Kosaku Matsumora. Actually the suppression technique with the blow to the bridge of the nose is classic usage of Tomari principles. Especially when followed up by the joint locks and strikes in the second movement. Does anyone have any more info? Maybe bunkai of the Matsumura versions knee drop can give us more info. I know in the Matsubayashi version the goal is immediate knock out. If that is not accomplished then disorientation so a joint lock similar to a keylock can be applied and then more strikes to finish off what should have ended after the first technique in the kata.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 05:05 PM

In relation to the version I practise, I consider the drop/morote position to be a kamae, ie the kata begining from this position and then rise up into the double phoenix fists.

This sits well with a phoenix 'rising' symbolism, and from a practical level shows a kneeling start, obviously not uncommon in the enviorment the kata was perhaps formulated.

I have many years to explore further of course as this is a new kata for me, but this is my understanding right now and of course just a single intepretation of what might be going on.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 05:48 PM

I study Shaolin Shorin Ryu. Sometimes it is known as Matsumura Shorin Ryu.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/07/06 07:17 PM

med,

John Sells was simply describing that the more modern versions of 54 used a standing backfist.

As I would characterize it, the version used in Matsumura Seito (I have a copy of Tosheki Gillespie's Panther video doing the form and some apps.), and those from Kyan (ie. Seibukan, Chiniba, Matsubayshi and others) being descendent of Matsumura do the drop to the floor.

Those lineages from Itsou (Mabuni's Shito ryu and Shotokan) use the standing backfist. I guess his implication is those are 'newer' than the other versions. But how to 'prove' it I don't know.

Any of the answers have uses, it's just they're different ones.

Gillespie shows the opening technique blocking a kick and then rising.

The version of Gojushiho I practice (from Tristan Sutrisno) is related to the Matsumura/Kyan versions, but his Shotokan also has Gojushiho Dai and Gojushiho Sho.

I never went far enough with him to learn his 'bunkai' for the kata. And I have more than enough toys to play with, but his versions, a variation on the 54 theme, has other uses, and I work it specifically for the advanced breathing and energy release that is used in his practice. But that's another topic.

BTW, I only did some quick research picking up some Gojushiho examples. I'm rarely satisfied with the eye candy which is avaiable to look at. IMO, in most instances a great deal is being held back from even all out performance.

But they are useful for discussion, and of course anyone who really has a question can google them out for themself for initial research too.

I often wonder why more don't begin by looking at what's available themselves. Our discussions are fun, but they're hardly authorative as we really don't know each other.
Posted by: senseiaverywax

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/08/06 09:40 PM

Mr. Hidden fist,

Useshi or Gojushiho depending on the kata's Lineage from Shaolin to Oki to your teacher could perhaps be Huquan (Black Tiger} from Shantuang or (Qaihequan) (Druken Fighting)from Fukien. or maybe a mixture of both. There is also Baihe(Hakutsuru)or White Crane and Seisan (arise from the ashes or three Immortals)which in its original context contains alot of Pheonix Eye though some consider this Mrs Matsumura's Kata. somthing about fighting with a baby on your back or was that a monkey! Hmmm!
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/08/06 11:34 PM

HI

Im some what confused. I study karate, I train karate to the best of my abilities. You said that you know the Channans?

I live far to far from your self to ever visit. Do you have any okinawan katas in book form with the bunkia?

Hope you dont mind me writing this.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/08/06 11:45 PM

Hi

Did you ever get the bunkia to the kata?

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/09/06 01:39 AM

Yes I know the Bunkia and the Oyo to the kata!

Sorry to my knowledge no such books exist on the Real Channan Kata's. How ever I have heard that there is a fake book written by somone in Shotokan Karate named Smicer. But I saw no resemblence in his and the ones I know his look more like shotokans Heian's or Itosu's Pinnans Not at all like real Channan's

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/09/06 06:41 PM

Hi

Its none of my business but if you have this knowlege have you ever given any thought of putting it on paper?

I practice karate. I try to take it back to what I think it was meant to be as opposed to physical fitness and sport karate. I study with other people who have the same goal.

It would be great if that could be done.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/09/06 07:39 PM

Senseiaverywax -

Would you consider video taping yourself performing the kata? If you have no means to upload it to www.youtube.com or something similar, I'm sure you could send it to someone here on the forum who could.

I'm sure many people here would like to see it, especially if you could discuss the bunkai here as well.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/09/06 08:26 PM

Sorry,

I only teach by direct transmission. Real Karate can not be learned by a video or from reading a book. You must experience karate training to learn.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/09/06 08:29 PM

I do not charge for lessons and I have never given any money for lesson my self! nor have I ever bought any rank(paid money to be tested)!

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 12:54 AM

Well said Sensei Avery Wax. I agree 100%.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 09:11 AM

Med,

I've been thinking about your question on the application of the Gojushiho knee block at the opening of the 'older' versions.

Logically it may be important not to start looking at what the hands are doing.

The kata begins with stepping(stomping) out with the left foot and dropping to the right knee as the block/strike is delivered.

The more important uses of the technique section may well involved the hidden aspect everyone misses, the stomp or the leg trap takedown using the intitial stepping/stomping movmeent

** amendment ** Going back through my notes into a fractal analsysis of this technique, there are also both using the initial stepping movement as a shin parry for a kick (a common Okinawan technique) before dropping down, and of course a 'hidden' front front kick, both of which are additional ways to drop or deflect an opponent setting them up for the completion of the technique **

Full study of a technique application potential involves looking past the beginning answers.

After all most of us would not choose to drop to a knee to stop a kick, on the other hand if our stepping motion traps their leg and forces them down, dropping down to complete a lock or strike makes sense too.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 11:24 AM

Yet another Okinawan version of Gojushiho is at
http://www.okinawabbtv.com/culture/karate_top.htm

It's the 2nd form from the top on the left hand side.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 11:54 AM

Victor.
HI
I dont read Japanese or okinawan so can you tell me please which is the kata vidio?

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 12:03 PM

Hi
I see your point but some people couldnt make a journey because of distance,finance, and work committements.

I am very interested in what you say and realy would like to see perhaps sketches?

If that was possable?

I think perhaps in the old days kata was taught person to person but well it is up to your self.

Either way I would realy like to see your knowledge and indeed poss learn it.

Thanks

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/10/06 12:14 PM

Where the screen shows two columns of video, Gojushiho is the 2nd one from the top on the left.

But to be sure they first show "54" on the screen when it runs, and 54 is literallly Goju(5)Shi(4) Ho(Steps).

Hope that helps.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/12/06 06:24 PM

Perhaps you should contact Al Martin Jr. His Website is http://karateinc.tripod.com. His father was my teacher.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/12/06 06:46 PM

Gojushiho / Seisan

These Kata have the same origin in a Southern Shaolin Style called "Pheonix Eye". The form they were taken from is called "Kaisan". The name on Okinawa was "Useishi" but this was changed to Gojushiho - "the fifty four steps". Seisan's name has stayed the same some say it means three Gates some say three fronts! There was also another form known as "Kaizoku" in Japanese it means Pirate. Some say Kaisan, Huquan, Baihe, Kaizoku, were the Original kata Sokon Matsumura learned in Fukein ie Kaisan=Gojushiho+Seisan, Kaizoku =Chinto+Chinsu+Chinte Baihe=Hakutsuru Huquan=Bassai however I do not know if this is factual could be chinese rumor!
Posted by: cxt

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/12/06 07:42 PM

Avery

Most of us have read that book as well--but thanks again for reading it to us.

Plus--some of what you posted is plain wrong.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/12/06 10:04 PM

would you mind sourcing your plagerism please? it gets tiresome to have to do it for you:
http://www.kua.com.au/Data_pages/katadata.htm

and the info about Seisan is incorrect.

these rumors get started by people taking a version they know (yet there are many versions), and visually compare it to Chinese forms, then take the meaning of what that Chinese form is called and apply it to their form. thereby establishing a fake link to the past.

why would they do that? because the perception of 'older is better' sells. you know what 'sells' for me? something that works and someone available to teach closeby so I can study often and long-term.

want to talk about something verifiable and current about Gojushiho? an interesting book by Bill Burgar called "Five years, one kata". I've never been taught the kata but the main theme was: take a classic kata, throw away all of the applications that you've been taught - then using Pat McCarthy's 'Habitual Acts of violence' sensability, apply defenses using the basic shape of the form.

personally, I didn't agree with the conclusions. The defenses looked ok, but the correlation between application and kata were not close enough to the form to make the learned form of any use. ...why not just practice the defenses themselves as in Ashihara or another non-kata based system? but I liked the moxie of giving a higher priority to application rather than form....THAT was the breakthru in printed material available on kata analysis in that book IMO.

a question I have for this thread is: why did he choose Gojushiho to be the one to study and analyize in this manner exclusively? and does that decision base itself upon the kata's believed origins?

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/14/06 08:34 AM

Ed,
I started this out of a basic curiosity as to what is known about this kata. The reason being is that there are so many different versions. This is not the only kata I could have asked about. I was just interested in what is known about it. My beliefs on this kata had nothing to do with asking the question, I was simply gathering information. If you would like we can change to another kata lol.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/14/06 09:09 AM

Wow, I was going to write something, but forgot.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/14/06 09:39 AM

Mr Wax,

While this isn't about Gojushiho, you might find the footage on the Battle of Okinawa on this site interesting.

http://www.okinawabbtv.com/culture/battle_of_okinawa/battle_of_okinawa_eizou.htm

Just click on the pictures down the screen, and there are 4 different video clips.
Posted by: sommers

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/15/06 10:17 PM

Hidden Fist,

I to am Interested in this topic. However it seems to be hard to get factual Information here most I have seen is playgerized from other incorrect sources and there is even some disagreement between mods from time to time.However there are some good people lurking around here but they seem to only lurk. when something exciting or informative does occur the thread is locked Imediately and the posters are exspelled. I know who you are now and you already knew who I was Coincidental do you think? I am sure we do the same Gojushiho at least same source. But I have always been Interested in why so many versions of Gojushiho. Seems the same way with Hakutsuru! Most of it may be a bit political among the styles even.

Keep training that cypress tree Brah;
Matt S.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/16/06 12:24 AM

Quote:

when something exciting or informative does occur the thread is locked Imediately and the posters are exspelled.

A bit dramatic, aren't you?

3 threads on the same subject concurrently were merged into one for the sake of clarity - the topic was not squashed in any way. And no one was "expelled".

On with the thread at hand.

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/16/06 06:22 AM

Matt,

You asked "But I have always been Interested in why so many versions of Gojushiho. Seems the same way with Hakutsuru! Most of it may be a bit political among the styles even."

Back when most of the changes occured, creating the different lines of Gojushiho, there were not styles.
Styles really began to arise in the 50's or so.

There were just instructors who had different roots, and because real karate in those days wasn't documented, all we have are oral legends why change occured, if that even was passed on.

The old line "Kata must be unchanged" is, was and always will be words for beginners, not karate-ka. Becuase all the instructors uttering those lines changed their kata one way or another, especially as they could not point to a reference that what they're showing is really the old way.

The likely reasons for change were,
1. time - as one learns more their undertanding of their art changed and the kata followed.
2. forgetting - perhaps a kata was placed on the back burner, and a memory gap arose, something filled that gap and a new version may result.
3. new insight - a new attack is imagined and a new response is created and the kata changed.
4. public performance. many Seniors had a tradition of never performing their kata correctly in public (so it or it's true intent could not be 'stolen'). So they changed it for those performances (which sometimes continues to this day, in the 70's Demura did a Jiin or Jion in one of the magazines, one section was intentionally reversed so he could always identify anyone who tried to learn it from the magazine.) And perhaps that performance was so good the changed version stuck.
5. It really doesn't matter if the kata changes if the performer can make those changes work

On the whole you see less change as time passes in a gojushiho than you've seen in a Seisan or a Patsai. It was simpler to muck around with the simpler kata, IMO.

Does it make a difference, absolutely not. Intrinsically all Gojushiho versions can stop any attack, which is the core of Gojushiho or any other kata, as technique repositories.

Hakutsuru is even more problematical, as in most Okinawan traditions it was not present. Here I honestly believe many whooped up Hakutsuru to try and prove they were linked to some mythical tradition. But the proof in the pudding is can they make each technique in their Crane form work. If so who cares where it came from. If they can't who cares anyway.

pleasantly,

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/16/06 09:22 AM

a question I have for this thread is: why did he choose Gojushiho to be the one to study and analyize in this manner exclusively? and does that decision base itself upon the kata's believed origins?

Hi

Im not sure Ed meant your self?

Did you? Ed??

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/16/06 09:46 AM

Hi victor

I posted this in the wrong thread.

I was refering to some katas not particuler the kata that is being discussed here.

One thing I will say though is some one stated this forum is thought provoking.

Well my thought process is some what tired at the moment

And even during a heated turning bad debate information that is required can come through.

Any how this thread is for a kata that I have never heard of or practiced.

Thanks

Andy

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/16/06 10:23 AM

Andy, rather than deal with the abstract where we keep taking past each other too ofen..

Which version of gojushiho and which techniques are you talking about. can you go to yahoo or youtube and find something similar?

At a real level almost any technique can be successfully applied if you've been sufficiently trained. Of course that make take a decade or two for some techniques but if you eperience someone who can do it then it's not impossible.

I practice a version of Gojushiho, but it is rather unique as it is similar. Boomer on this list practices it too. And I've seen many others.

So lets get in the dirt, actually what techinques really can't work. i'd like to see what you're referring to, and make up my own opinion.

Of course one of my instructors shared a way of looking at the 8 isshinryu kata and using the movements for 800 applications with no changes. I might see things a little differently than you do.

pleasantly,

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/17/06 02:36 AM

Sensei Sommers,
Greetings, that is part of the reason why I am looking for the origins of this kata. I think it will help put into perspective as to why so many versions of this kata exist. I am aware that it is mentioned as 54 steps of the black tiger in the chinese bubishi. Problem is, that there are 2 chinese bubishi's, and about 10 random okinawan and japanese versions.
I don't recall the source, but I remember coming across a "story" about a warrior that had to defend himself against a large number of men and how he killed them all with the tiger techniques which inspired the black tiger kata.
oosh - okage sama de !
Posted by: Fordareals

Re: Origins of Gojushiho - 07/17/06 10:30 PM

I was told a long tie ago that the number Gojushiho (54) represented traveling half-way up the 108 steps of a typical Ch'an/Zen Buddhist Temple -or- in other words your journey in the Shaolin Temple way is half complete when you master the kata.

The origin is somewhere in China. I don't think any other specifics are that salient.