Bunkai video clips

Posted by: Stormdragon

Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 03:16 PM

http://www.karate-shotokan-kata.com/Karate-video-clips.html
Check out these Bunkai video clips, they look really good.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 04:51 PM

the performer looked ok, but the uke was half-heartedly throwing straight punches from a mile away. I'm sure anyone could get some pretty cool stuff working with those conditions...you may even have time to target a pressure point!

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 06:28 PM

If you look at it like that, then most all Bunkai techniques won't work, not against a fast hitting fighter anyway. Give me an example of a Bunkai technique that works against a good jab or straight right.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 06:54 PM

Parry the strike, backfist to the face while using tai sabaki to get a good angle, knee strike to the thigh, front snap kick to the leg while overhooking the opposite arm to trap it, then punch to the ribs/or face, and then sweep and throw them to the ground. And this is just three moves form pinan shodan. At the advanced level it REALLY starts to get good.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 07:03 PM

Can you substitute the backfist with a forearm strike?

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/01/06 08:51 PM

and if YOU look at it like that...maybe it's time to try different interpretations.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 12:36 AM

Quote:

If you look at it like that, then most all Bunkai techniques won't work, not against a fast hitting fighter anyway. Give me an example of a Bunkai technique that works against a good jab or straight right.

Second direction in the very first Shito-ryu kata, Shiho no Kata. Goes like this:

Head block, front kick, head punch.

The bunkai is self evident, and if it doesnt work then that is the fault of the karateka and not the bunkai.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 02:56 AM

You mean like a high block? I doubt it works azgainst a good boxers punches but ok.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 04:15 AM

Thing is Storm it isnt designed to work against a good boxers punch, thats not a street attack my friend - thats a skilled fighter - different game!

however after saying that if you work your basic technique from a 2 handed guard position (you see alot of the older masters with both fists in front) then you will see that all the basic movements are really very usefull - even against a boxer!

Keep the faith mate

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 09:00 AM

a boxers punch seems alot more likely than an oi-zuki

in any event, nobody keeps their arm out. that method is for training other things.

for starters try this: both stand facing each other in a normal standing position. arms down by side. no stylized kamae. about arms length distance away. the opponent throws a sloppy but hard boxer-like one-two combo (one to the side of the head, one to the side of the body for instance).

now defend and counter using kata principles (or non-kata for that matter) of your choice.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 09:25 AM

ah combination attacks, this is when bunkai becomes very, very difficult to apply!

Whilst I take your point Ed (and agree with it) common methods of assault start mainly with a push, then a big right hand round punch to the head.

If we dont take the initiative immediatly then the second, third punch etc etc become increasingly difficult to deal with (if overpowered tegumi is handy!),

hence aggresive defense to stop the combination developing - very difficult, very brave and very skillful in reality to do.

Thankyou for the drill idea, I will try that in the dojo. (although it misses out some awareness, distancing, fence, pre emptive strike principles I teach)

It never ceases to amaze me how simple my bunkai becomes the more I practise with some realism - and we are talking really simple!

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 09:46 AM

the combo attack approach is to give the uke intent, instead of the static 'one punch and wait'...in training it may very well be that you counter before the second hit comes in or simultaneous to it - but at least the attack coming in isn't dead.

the other thing about some of these bunkai we see in clips...can anyone catch a punching arm straight into a lock? doubt it. try it during non-compliant sparring.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 10:25 AM

LOL, but thats the fault of the practioners Ed, not the art.

non compliant training is definatly a wake up call to karateka generally, and something we do in my dojo - to a degree.

big right hands by untrained attackers are often left hanging for a moment and I have no doubts that a skilled martial artist can wrap an arm up, etc etc. But its not perfect so we train with other things in mind as well, particulary to stop the combination (stop hit is a primary method for me).

I often invite begineers to punch hard, as they wish, it amazes me how difficult people find this (Its saved my skin a few times as well!), if one can read the signs well enough its not that difficult to handle really. Now I know this isnt strictly hardcore RBSD but then again we all have to work...........

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 12:20 PM

In some places "streetfighters" fight like boxers, like when I lived in a rough town in New Jersey a lot of the guys had done some boxing or just mimicked boxers and that's how they fought, now some of them didn't but, still. Now I live a small town in Oregon where hardly anyone is skilled and trained to fight so in this case your right. And it really is a different game.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 02:49 PM

I must disagree, bunkai not working against skilled fighters and combination attacks. So Matsumura, a royal bodyguard, was not trained to handle skilled attackers, yeah right. How about this, try a head block, but not to block but to strike in close to the face or chin after parrying a punch or locking a limb. Real bunkai works against real attacks from fighters skilled or not.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 02:55 PM

The arm wrap is not a function of long range fighting and catching punches, but of the clinch game in karate. Again, the difference between real karate and what most study is night and day. However, there is a means of trapping strikes in karate which are very useful, but again, this is a function of the in close fighting of karate and has a lot to do with following the arm that strikes back to its guard position and jamming attacks and messing up your opponents timing.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 03:21 PM

What's an exaple of a Bunkai technique against a Jab, Cross combination from a decent boxer?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 04:33 PM

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/8403/page15fm.jpg

Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 04:55 PM

Quote:

in any event, nobody keeps their arm out. that method is for training other things.

With you 100% we work our kata application against skilled combinations as well as wild flaying haymakers.

I never saw any great benifit in practicing bunkai against a single straight lunging attack. It just doesn't happen that way in the real world. The punches come one after another until the attacker has been stopped or he gets tired of swinging and decides to try and wrestle you.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 05:52 PM

Well Oldman, that's the answer, the Oldman is back!
Strong enough 'bunkai' for anyone.

Good to see you doing the hang,
Posted by: kusojiji

well, maybe one or two just to set something up... - 06/02/06 07:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With you 100% we work our kata application against skilled combinations as well as wild flaying haymakers.

I never saw any great benifit in practicing bunkai against a single straight lunging attack. It just doesn't happen that way in the real world. The punches come one after another until the attacker has been stopped or he gets tired of swinging and decides to try and wrestle you.

Or right from the get-go decides to wrestle you INSTEAD of just trading punches.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 07:31 PM

Quote:

I've been saying THAT for years! Finally someone else on THIS forum said the same thing

-John

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 08:05 PM

as always Medulanet you have given me something of significant interest to have a think about! My thanks to you on that.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 10:37 PM

Hmmmmm hard one.

Question posed: "What's an example of a Bunkai technique against a Jab, Cross combination from a decent boxer?"

Answer given: "It really should be rephrased to read, what bunkai technique can't work against a jab, cross combination from a decent boxer?"

From my experience almost any kata technique can perform such a minor task.

Look if we want to be exact using a term I dislike, 'bunkai' lets use it in is normal Japanese meaning, being to take apart, such as a mechanic bunkai's a car.

In that sense you might bunkai a kata to understand the underlying techniques. Nothing more.

Bunkai exploration then is a way to look at the tool box, or techniques. Once there is an understanding there is the requisite training program to takethe understanding to the desired level.

For most martial beginners, a standard straight punching attack is used to teach several underlying principles. 1) showing the basic underlying usage 2)Learn how a technique fits into the space offered.

But teaching a beginning undestanding isn't very much of karate's potential. You then need to randomize the attack to anything that is thrown. You need to learn how to change your orientation to the attack to deliver the technique. You need to understand the multitudes of options available. And of course you need to ramp up the delivery of that technique to flow through any attack.

Now I'm going to make some assumptions. Your 'decent boxer' is coming at you head on, and they're not obeying the rules of the Marquis of Queensbury, including gloves, but they're bare knuckling it with their one/two.'

Change the direction, change the 'rules' and the response changes.

But I'm going to assume they'll just right foot forward right jab to follow with a left cross.

What shall I 'bunkai'?

Well as an Isshinryu stylist I'll begin at the beginning. the first technique is the Isshinryu version of the jab, but fortunately we've never worried about boxing gloves and always worked bare knuckles.

Against their jab, the simplest answer is to counter-jab on the inside of their jab, driving it to the outside, and slamming into their throat/jaw. Properly done they aren't going to get to their cross.

Or perhaps I'' begin with Seisan Kata's (Kobayshi Ryu version) Reverse punch that turns into a right side block.

But instead of playing games I'll strike across into the jabbing arm's shoulder with my ridge of knuckles from my vertical strike. And then I won't be as plebean as use the strike to parry the cross, no I'd use the side block/strike to drive my thumb into the side of their neck,and again they'd not get to their awesome cross.

Or perhaps I'll use the cross stepping of Naifanchi kata to just blast through their knee or lower leg, dropping them to the floor and there's no one-two to play against.

or... we believe me I can go on and on.

It's all what level we feel we need to train up to, but I doubt there are many karate techniques that can't stop this imaginary decent boxer.

It all depends on how far someone wants to train. It's not the technique.

Of course many of the kata contain the one two also, but I don't normally recommend that (for an interior line of defense) because they you might be looking like that decent boxer..... of course if you're taking the exterior line of defense, that's a whole other picture.

The purpose of kata isn't really an series of encyclopedia's of technique. That's far to limiting. The purpose of kata is totally for it's real chinese ancestors, that of superior energy development and release.

Then the other layers of training to link that energy into technique application

Of course the boxer has their 1/2 or 1/2/3, the well formed karate-ka has infinity of technique potential on their side.

And more importantly, the best tactical theory, which follows ancient directive, strike them from behind when they're not expecting it......

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/02/06 11:26 PM

What can I say, when your right your right. I still think it would be hard to actually apply those techniques against a Jab cross combination or a couple Jabs, but, your right on with the idea that it's how oyu train that's important rather than the technique, and, I have to believe that kata would contain techniques against every major type of assult including a boxer's fast punches. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/03/06 12:17 AM

Quote:

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/8403/page15fm.jpg

Pinan Shodan?

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/03/06 12:21 AM

Great applications Old Man, where do oyu get that stuff? keep it coming.

Re: well, maybe one or two just to set something up... - 06/03/06 12:32 AM

Quote:

Or right from the get-go decides to wrestle you INSTEAD of just trading punches.

I've seen good judo and jujitsu players go straight for a throw. But I've never seen anyone go straight to the ground outside of the UFC, wrestling or on the playground. So maybe my self-defense training is lacking because I don’t spend a lot of time training against this as an opening attack.

Besides in order to wrestle they have to close distance with me and when they do?

Pat

edited to fix quote
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: well, maybe one or two just to set something up... - 06/03/06 12:51 AM

Quote:

Besides in order to wrestle they have to close distance with me and when they do?

If they are better than you, you go down.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/03/06 05:52 AM

Stormdragon,

Ponders, 'I still think it would be hard to actually apply those techniques against a Jab cross combination or a couple Jabs'.

Well let's think about that. The first solution I gave is the Isshinryu version of that jab. If you're training against a jab at speed, you learn how to make it work or your get hit until you learn to make it work. Which is no different from how a boxer trains (and let's be honest most people who try boxing leave rather quickly when they get hit around a bit....leaving...).

The difference between the classical 'bunkai' and the boxer is the way they're delivering their strike. THe classical bunkai steps forward while striking (leaving hang time to work counters). The boxer stays within themself as they strike, and on the whole move or shuffle forward to force you into their zone to blast away, and toe to toe its who hits frist and more often (still occassionally accuracy wins too).

That's the biggest flaw against the boxer, in the ring they can back you up till you're a target. When there's no ring, if you have the awareness to stay away from 'walls or cars or such' you don't have to play their game, you can more more freely, and try to get them to drive into their strike, giving more hang time.

But tactially speaking you can always wait non aggressively - your hands down, and if they're the aggressor you can turn your seeming inability to respond to an opening for other kata techniques.

The most frequent question about karate is you see one sort of training and assume that it covers everything. I kind of remember a dude named Motobu who had a counter for that boxer, once upon a time. Oooops did is it wrong to talk about actual events? Of course he had no restrictions about what he could do...but then again nor do I.

So while I could respond in kind, jab and cross, exactly from my karate vocabulary, there's nothing against me being stubborn and using karate outside of their range.

If I haven't prepared myself to handle that attack, I should be training harder to make it work.

One of my friend/instructors had his own answer for practice. He allowed any sort of attack, and you have to begin your defense from your arms hanging down at your sides, and of course the defense was only within the thousands of karate applications he taught.

It's even more fun when you want to begin with someone trying to do a shoot and you actually work karate responses for such, simple things where you slam a single knuckle strike into their eye orbit, a technique from Seisan.

Of course you have to train 'down' to that too.

pleasantly,

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/03/06 10:04 PM

I guess it's back to being a matter of the fighter not the art. By the way, we don't know just how good Motobu's boxer opponent was.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/04/06 06:55 AM

Storm gets to the heart of one issue with "By the way, we don't know just how good Motobu's boxer opponent was."

Very true, but then we don't know how good your theoretical boxer is either, or how good our theoretical karate-ka is too.

I normally spend very little time worrying about cross art attacks, but yesterday morning my students had some fun trying to use your jab/cross on my humble Isshinryu beginnings. They were quite supprised how the Isshinryu lead hand strike cut right through the jab.

Whether we have it right or not, I often take the time to use some of this discussion material for object lessons in class.

It ALWAYS is the person, NOT the ART.

Because even in an ART, any ART, the variety of options and points of view is staggering.

There is no single discussion, POV, or video clip that really describes any art's potential. All those things do is show what they are. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW the reason I rarely spend any time worrying about other arts is simple statistics.

Take wrestling, over the last century there have been what hundreds of thousands of american's who've studied wrestling. Where is there a body of evidence that their deadly art has been regularily used on the street.

There have also been thousands and thousands of indivdiuals who've studied boxing. Where is there a body of evidence that their deadly art has been regularily used on the street.

In the antidotal cases you're more likely to find someone who slightly trained in those arts used them, but the more intensly the indivdiual trained (ie, the better they really are) the less likely they are to ever have used it.

But the antidotal evidence the real fighers are the drinkers. I bet you the magintude of people getting in fights who've been drinking is millions of times more likely to occur.

So realisically who are you worried about? Trained fighters in any art, or sloppy drunks who have their senses turned down and are likely to pop off at any time.

I'm far more concerned about people drinking losing it and countering them, than any skilled MA.

You have to take a hard look at the BS of internet discussion compared to where the blood actually flows.
Posted by: adaca

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/04/06 10:52 AM

IN this hypothetical subject of what if? Is this super fast boxer or boxing techniques gloved or un-gloved?

Because if our super fast boxer/boxing technique is gloved then you might have problems unless you have trained realy hard using your karate technique to match him.
Namely for starters move your head?Plus however many more techniques that can be used in this scenario?

Now if our super fast boxer/boxing technique isn’t gloved then THEY have the problems namely because unlike KARATE TECHNIQUE (end of upper case) they could be be hitting with the wrong part of their hands and there hands will not have any conditioning(99% perhaps)

Most of the boxers I know. and indeed street fighters, who have fought at sometime ungloved can no longer fight effectively just using fists because of a few knuckles not being where they should be. This bunkia to such scenarios shouldnt take much to figure out.

Please exscuse this article if it sounds somewhat sarcastic but I am a wee bit fed up with the seemingly idea that boxing punching is better than karate punching.

It isnt.

Karate punching has hooks and all types of wonderful punches and counters.

THEY ARE FOUND IN MOST KATAS.

Thanks

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/04/06 10:59 AM

Take it from me Motobu was good .

How do I know?

Because he is on black and white film.

How good was his boxing opponent? pass.

Spose the boxer didnt last that long to see.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/04/06 01:58 PM

no Art has an exclusive copyright on technique. There are skillsets, training methods and solid tactics in western style Boxing just as there are useful aspects to Chinese boxing. instead of thinking in terms of which one is better, perhaps it's a far more useful exercise in determining either combinations of method or different views of method which make sense to you as a martial artist.

put it this way: learning western style boxing might give ideas on how to improve your karate. while learning Aikido could give a new perspective to expanding one's Jiu Jitsu. When looking at MA as a whole, there are far less lines of separation.

when things start to go wrong is when your training is static for years on end. then, when you expect a bad guy to throw that oi zuki and step into zenkutsu dach when he attacks - instead you get attacked by a rushing tackle and freeze for that critical second not having developed an instinctive response to such an attack. your subconscience gets confused for a sec saying 'whaa? hes attacking wrong!' ever try defending against an MMA style 'ground n pound' that everyone makes fun of or assumes the answer is in never to get in that position? bad logic. given the infinite amount of scenarios we could find ourselves in someday, finding ourselves defending from our backs to the ground is not so wildly impossible to imagine...now imagine being in that situation defending against a knife. thats a whole lotta reality to learn on the spot.

at least awareness in other things can NEVER be a bad thing, and only serves to improve our Art of choice.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/04/06 04:28 PM

I guess, properly trained, any art or fighting system is equally effective for the most part(other than the fact that boxing only uses hands). I think we should look more at how different arts can improve our overall fighting skills and our base arts. I know boxing has tremendously improved my overall fighting skills, but TKD, Karate, JJ and whatnot has filled in the gaps. We have MMA for a reason.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/06/06 12:04 AM

I think there is value in learning a base Art for a good 5-10 years first and either sticking with it, expanding upon it, or shifting to another.

personal choice really, but I think having some sort of base is important.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/06/06 02:31 AM

Well I sure did the opposite of that.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/09/06 04:05 AM

Quote:

can anyone catch a punching arm straight into a lock? doubt it.

You never do a lock as a first defensive move; the punching arm is always stopped/trapped/parried/or unbalance the attacker in some way before the lock is applied, just as the takedown is done as a second or third move.

Put your question another way -- can you catch a bullet? Answer, Yes, after the fired bullet is lodged in something else first.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/09/06 08:27 PM

Generally, with a few exceptions, it's best to strike your attacker first, at least once or even several times, and then follow with a joint lock or grappling move of some sort.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/16/06 08:09 AM

Head block?????

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/16/06 12:59 PM

for obvious serious/unknown self defense I agree, however there are times (proberly more likely for the most of us) that a 'passive' or relativly 'passive' response is preferable.

When Gran has 1 brandy to many and swings at you over the christmas table, springs to mind........... (best not to finger strike her eyes and then lock her up eh.....).

I tend to train 2 responses - passive and orrible, both have their place in my mind. And of course the passive can easily escalate to orrible as it has the same set up, generally.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 06/16/06 08:53 PM

True, I do realize that there are times when the dangerous brutal techniques just aren't called for, and in that case some good Judo or BJJ comes in handy.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 07/08/06 03:11 PM

Well, as I've been learning, I've come up with some pretty good bunkai techniques. I guess as you learn the kata better and become more experienced the bunkai techniques make themselves known.

Re: Bunkai video clips - 07/08/06 07:17 PM

Anyone want my opinion, lol?

-John

Re: Bunkai video clips - 07/08/06 07:56 PM

NO!!! lol I think we all know what your opinion is!

Re: Bunkai video clips - 07/08/06 08:34 PM

K

-John