u punch

Posted by: kibadachi1

u punch - 01/21/06 11:16 PM

does anyone have a good application for the u punch its a double punch with both arms at the same time 1 punch goes high and the other one low, does your punch go high on the same side as your front leg or the opposite
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: u punch - 01/22/06 01:51 AM

Cut Punch,
Set up for a Throw,

It also depends on the style, some drop their head so its between the arms, others keep it up with back erect.

So on and so forth, a "double" punch, as its sometimes portrayed, is what I don't think it is. Considering it splits the power away from the center of the body/shoulders. Thats just my take on it.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: u punch - 01/22/06 10:52 PM

In order to interpret a move in kata you have to look at the movements surrounding it. What happened before,after?

I think it is a set up for a throw also or a crosstorso type of strike to make pain meet in the middle before the throw.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: u punch - 01/23/06 08:17 PM

a nice simple interpretation of the stand along move is that its actually a double grab to the groin and throat, then when you look at what often comes before and after, ouch!

Its fairly well accepted that to grab the throat and/or groin is a base instinct in self protection, so I like this simple view.

of cours eit has lots of other interesting applications as well, but this is my starting point.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: u punch - 01/24/06 08:14 AM

AKK uses this move as a defense to an attacker pulling you in from a collar grab (or similar). This way you take advantage of the "free momentum" the opponent is giving you - the harder he pulls, the harder he gets hit.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: u punch - 01/25/06 02:42 PM

Once inside either to finish or setup a finish this technique can be used and it very hard to block/stop because it is two motions. Its also a very powerful move (try it on a heavy bag) very good before/after a elbow strike hit or miss. If done high and low it also setups throws like the two hand arm bar/throw.

From a distance it would be at a disadvantage because it is so open and two hand committed. But of coursed if timed right it can counter and strike simultaneous pending setup.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: u punch - 01/30/06 08:46 AM

Hello Kibadachi1:

Depends on the particular technique... are we talking combination punch (a jab + the reverse punch) or two hands parallel to both each other and the floor (sic. in some manner)? If the latter, is the next step of the kata end up 180 degree turned from the position of the original "double punch" technique ?

J
Posted by: Leapordsknowbest

Re: u punch - 01/31/06 06:47 PM

I'v seen it used to block a shot, or used as a shot. Just postion the hands a lil diffrent.
Posted by: charlie

Re: u punch - 02/03/06 04:33 AM

U punch (yama zuki) found in bassai Dai.

could be breaking past your opponents oncoming hands in order to grab you at the chest or grapple - then apply the head charge forward, so using the head as application within the kata - also teaches you to be aware of the head but attack yourself!

or - imagine you are in a head lock (rear) so you would be in a low position (check stance within kata - zenkutsu Dachi) then mountain punch - one hand to give you breathing space or grab certain vital areas!! or pinch the femoral artery and the high punch to attack the back of the head - GB20! (which they don't see coming)

then coming back up from the u punch could be drawing the head back and giving you control...

just another application to add to the list.

Charlie.
www.lonepineryu.co.uk
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: u punch - 05/08/06 01:37 PM

one I've seen demonstrated, but have never tested it's cred is: as attacker steps in with punch to face, your knee comes up, some people aply a kick tho there is none in the version we pratice, either way, the knee or the kick to his knee is desinged to cause an opening for the double punch to attack just above and just below the heart area, i was told that when it's done by someone who understands power transmition, it's near leathal.but like i said,thats only what i've herd and seen,not done.