Your application for Manji Uke

Posted by: naraebon

Your application for Manji Uke - 11/16/05 06:28 AM

Hi Forum,

I hope this topic hasn`t been discussed a million times before, I couldn`t find anything, anyway I apologize if it`s a repetition ..

What are your applications for Manji-Uke (kokutsu dachi, gedan barai to front, at the same time high uchi uke to back). The technique appears in so many Shotokan kata, but I couldn`t find a satisfying interpretation yet.

Anything helps, thank a bunch !

Nara Ebon
Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/16/05 07:39 AM

One of the possible apps is a leg grab takedown. Grab the leg (normally quite high up around the inside thigh but I guess it could be worked at different heights) with the hand that pulls back into "high uchi uke" and the "gedan barai" to the front punches and pushes to the groin. This does work as my instructor suprised me with it during some bunkai practice and I'm 6' 3" and think I was about 14 stone at the time (now pushing 16 stone - ouch) so I'm no lightweight.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/17/05 06:04 PM

Hi There,

right, block front kick with left hand against attacker 1, at the same time uppercut 2nd attacker behind you under chin with right hand.

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 06:02 AM

no one liked my little joke then ????????
Posted by: kyushoguy

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 07:06 AM

Hi shoshin

you got me.

I'm so used to seeing **** like that I thought you meant it LOL

Why did the Japanese tell us UKE means Block LOL

KG

moderator edit: I'm sure a japanese person would be offended. Please spell the entire word.
Posted by: naraebon

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 07:45 AM

well, at first I also thought he meant it.

thanks dogfaced !

seriously please: give me your real thoughts ...
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 03:50 PM

I think I know the technique you are talking about. http://www.karate-radolfzell.de/images/Manji.gif

Goju has a basic App to this...except in the Goju kata (seiunchin)
http://www.isshinryu.dk/index-filer/seiunchinLFA.jpg
it is done in horse stance, and with open hands.

try this app:
http://www.portaskarate.org/graphics/porta_bunkai-lg.gif
it's the only pic I could find online, but the pic shows it a bit different than what I intended to explain. first, the defender is too far away. get right in there, and it will make a follow up throw optional (hence the reason for the horse stance). also, this tech should be a simultaneous pull into strike action.

p.s. kyushoguy, would it kill you to type out 'Japanese' ? maybe the good sensei's don't teach you the good stuff since you still call them 'Japs'....just a thought.

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 04:18 PM

Im not going to go into detail, as im rubbish at explaining bunkai by text. But suffice to say that I view this movement as winding hip throw, both hands are grabbing the opponent. think of the movement before and after it in Pinan Godan.

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 05:52 PM

because thats what they were told maybee !
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 06:01 PM

I thought that from Pinan Godan the application was as follows.
...steps forward into zenkutsu dachi to avoid yoko tobi geri from attacker 1 to the side of you, whilst performing a right hand nukite to midget attacker 2 in front of you, at the same time blocking punch to the ear from attacker 3 to other side of you.
Shift weight back into kokotsu dachi avoiding ushiro-mawashi tobi geri from attacker 4 again to the side, whilst blocking mae geri from attacker 5 again to the front, whilst blocking jodan mawashi geri from attacker 6 behind you.
Don't they teach that where you are, sho?

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/18/05 06:21 PM

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/19/05 06:24 AM

Quote:

because thats what they were told maybee !

No its a Japanese word?

They know it doesnt mean that?

It was a rhetorical question really.

KG

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/19/05 06:25 AM

Quote:

I thought that from Pinan Godan the application was as follows.
...steps forward into zenkutsu dachi to avoid yoko tobi geri from attacker 1 to the side of you, whilst performing a right hand nukite to midget attacker 2 in front of you, at the same time blocking punch to the ear from attacker 3 to other side of you.
Shift weight back into kokotsu dachi avoiding ushiro-mawashi tobi geri from attacker 4 again to the side, whilst blocking mae geri from attacker 5 again to the front, whilst blocking jodan mawashi geri from attacker 6 behind you.
Don't they teach that where you are, sho?

you cant get me twice

another joke me thinks

KG
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/19/05 01:03 PM

KG,
Check out my username, I may be serious!

Re: Your application for Manji Uke - 11/20/05 01:26 PM

sorry my point being that the majority of Japanese karate possibly could have been driven by the understanding that UKE techniques were blocks, as perhaps they wernt shown the actual meaning - or perhaps it didnt suit the reason and 'standardisation' that karate went through to make it essentially a Japanese BuDo to fall in line with Judo and kendo.

it makes far more sense to me that the okinawans didnt tell the Japanese rather than the Japanese didnt tell the western world, of course a massive generaisation.