Thoughts/Opinions?

Posted by: PierrePressure

Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/10/05 06:45 PM

I'm still pretty new to MA (I've only been in it for about a year), so I have very limited experience in kata. The only one I have been taught so far are the Taeguk katas (1,2,3, a little bit of 4, and 6), and I was curious about how these katas were viewed by other MAists. Now that I know of so many other katas, I'm curious to try some out, but in the meantime, I wanted to know how the Taeguk katas were ranked compared to others.

If this has already been asked a million times before (I don't come to this board enough to know ), just direct me to other threads.
Thanks!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/10/05 06:58 PM

What style does these kata?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/10/05 10:30 PM

Are these Tae Kwon Do Kata?

I'm sorry that I know nothing about them, except that amongst Tae Kwon do schools there seems to be some controversy over kata(if that is what they are called).

I think there are two kinds. Tae Guk(which you mention) and Pal Gwe.

Maybe a Tae Kwon Do practioner can help.

Page

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 12:12 AM

Hmmmm......I think I saw Tae Guk forms (we call them forms in our school, so I don't know if that helps?) in some Tae Kwon Do book awhile back, so I guess it would be pretty fair to conclude that they are indeed from Tae Kwon Do. I'm unsure because at my school there's no specific "style," it's mainly a self-defense school, so my instructor attends seminars and such to learn new things to maybe incoporate into our curriculum. He'll tell us sometimes where stuff comes from ("This is a self-denfense move from such and such."), but sometimes I just don't know. I do know that he hasn't just made it up, though .

Well, if no one is really familiar with Tae Guk, then don't worry about it. I was just curious .
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 08:22 AM

Try posting this on the Tae Kwo do forum. or kindly ask a Mod to move it for you. Or PM Oldman(moderator) he practices a korean art and is very in tuned with all things MA

Page

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 11:45 AM

Thanks!

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 06:38 PM

Quote:

I'm unsure because at my school there's no specific "style," it's mainly a self-defense school, so my instructor attends seminars and such to learn new things to maybe incoporate into our curriculum.

What!!! Seek a differen't "qualified" instructor.

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 09:31 PM

I'm not upset or offended, but can I ask why? He hasn't claimed to have made up his "own style" or anything, so in case that's what you're thinking. From what I understand, he attends different seminars and such every once and awhile to learn new things because he's a big believer in that all styles have their merits, and he likes to compare different techniques from all different kinds of styles. Again, I'm not offended or anything, but curious. What's wrong?

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 10:13 PM

He attends a seminar to "learn" new things and then teaches them to you guys.

Seminars are short and cannot encompass everything you need to know about a technique to teach it to someone else.

When you were taught how to do a technique did you feel qualified to run out and teach it to someone else? OR,after doing the technique and learning all that it covers and after alot of practice just to get good enough to do it yourself?

Seems this relates to "learning" from a video.

I wouldn't want that kind of instructor.

Re: Thoughts/Opinions? - 11/11/05 11:06 PM

Aaahhhh.....Thank you for clearing that up.

The only thing I will say is that, in his defense, he has always been able to answer our questions regarding any new technique that he is showing us, and certainly seems to know it well enough to be able to still show how a technique can work, even if the situation varies slightly (meaning he can asnwer our "But what if---?" questions). However, I will keep what you have said in mind, and watch very closely. For right now, however, he really is the best option in my area. Thanks again for answering my question .