What is it about Your ONE...

Posted by: Shonuff

What is it about Your ONE... - 10/09/05 09:46 PM

Following on from BuDoc's thread I am just curious to know in addition to what your favourite/most valued kata is, what principles you actually feel it has to offer.

I'm just looking for a little more background into peoples choices as its always interesting to get different views on a form.

For myself I chose Naihanchi (all 3 into one form) and for me this form epitomises the movement principles of Karate, i.e how to step, generate power over long and short range, grounding, body shifting throwing kicking techniques etc

As far as combat the multilayered applications of this form give you basic technique and concepts for long and mid range fighting (using legs to enter and momentum to maximise hand techniques) before exploding into a complex evasive and devastating close quarter striking system centred in blindsiding and imobilising the opponent which builds out of the entries developed in the long/mid range basics.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: What is it about Your ONE... - 10/09/05 11:28 PM

Quote:

Following on from BuDoc's thread I am just curious to know in addition to what your favourite/most valued kata is, what principles you actually feel it has to offer.

I'm just looking for a little more background into peoples choices as its always interesting to get different views on a form.

For myself I chose Naihanchi (all 3 into one form) and for me this form epitomises the movement principles of Karate, i.e how to step, generate power over long and short range, grounding, body shifting throwing kicking techniques etc

As far as combat the multilayered applications of this form give you basic technique and concepts for long and mid range fighting (using legs to enter and momentum to maximise hand techniques) before exploding into a complex evasive and devastating close quarter striking system centred in blindsiding and imobilising the opponent which builds out of the entries developed in the long/mid range basics.

I suppose Kanku Dai has the most in it...a wider array of self defense and fighting responses and concepts, in virtue of it's length and variety of techniques.

It's got a lot of tripping and throws. I never realised how aggresive it was after the initial shades of bassai dai/heian niadan bit.

I actually really like the applications of Chinte but haven't figured them all out yet.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: What is it about Your ONE... - 10/11/05 01:01 PM

Seiunchin, it's one of the first I learned many years ago.That's why I appreciate it the most,I know the most about it. Because I've practiced it the most,I can apply the self defense to resisting opponents the most effectively.It's a great kata!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: What is it about Your ONE... - 10/13/05 01:05 AM

As posted: Annanko
Because: Plenty of open-hand techniques, empi-uchi (elbow strikes), take-down w/ F/U, dynamic & subtle... It also opens w/ a technique that illustrates Sen sen-no-sen (pre-emptive strike).