Bando/Thaing forms...

Posted by: Kintama

Bando/Thaing forms... - 09/11/05 11:00 PM

Bando/Thaing forms.
Does anyone know if they were created before the Japanese invasion/influence starting in 1942 during the Burma campaign? (I've never seen any of these forms...didn't even know they existed until Victor mentioned it in another thread) but I'm thinking they probably were much more Chinese influenced than anything else. The only piece I found from looking it up just now is that the forms have names after the animal fighting characteristics they represent.

any info would be interesting and appreciated...
Posted by: oldman

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 09/11/05 11:46 PM

Kin,
I don't know about bando but I have heard Thaing forms were created by a woman. She was known as Miss Thaing. People say she thought she was "all that". But it is hard to find reliable info on the web.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 09/12/05 09:57 AM

lol... well, as a case in point, I agree with the part of your post about reliable info.

BTW, you may be thinking of the Aerosmith band'o song "Don't want to miss thaing."
Posted by: oldman

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 09/12/05 10:03 AM

I think it was "Walk this Tao"
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 09/12/05 07:41 PM

I had the chance to train at a Bando Summer Camp about 1983, because my original instructor was friends with Dr. Gyi, the founder of American Bando. From my instructors previous training and from training I received at that camp I practice and teach Bando's short stick form "The Hidden Stick" and Bando's staff form "The Horsemans Footsoliders Form".

The purpose of that camp was not to teach Bando forms, though I saw the elbow form there in another training group. But one of the instructors saw me practicing the version of their short stick form that had been shared with me and had his studnets spend several hours showing me their version.

As I roughly understand it Bando is actually a group of maybe 12 other systems (like Cobra and Boar). And their forms from the little I've seen are more Chinese influenced, but still unique in their own right.

I would characterize Bando as covering the entire range of technique from karate into Chinese systems and up to Burmese Kick Boxing. I know they're big on elbow and knee strikes.

But all I have are the glimpses I've seen and the two forms I practice.

For various reasons Bando became splintered as I understand it over the years.

That's about all I know.
Posted by: ThaingFrance

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 05/20/07 08:17 AM

french video thaing bando:

http://meylanbando.free.fr/video%20bando.htm
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Bando/Thaing forms... - 05/20/07 08:26 AM

I suggest you contact Phil Dunlap. He jas moe knowledge on this subject than most.