Kata to music

Posted by: jc4199

Kata to music - 08/14/05 11:56 AM

Is it a good Idea to do kata to music? The faster the beat the faster I tend to move. What song do you use if you do?
Posted by: b_d_41501

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 01:16 PM

If you want to relax, do them to slow New Age stuff like Enya. If you want to do them to increase speed, do them with Metal music or Dance/Techno music.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 01:46 PM

If you talking about kata with with music in the background cool, I'd personally prefer something peaceful, keep my mind clear and on the kata. If your talking about doing kata in time to music then I think the technical term for that is dancing!
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 01:54 PM

Quote:

If you talking about kata with with music in the background cool, I'd personally prefer something peaceful, keep my mind clear and on the kata. If your talking about doing kata in time to music then I think the technical term for that is dancing!

Ditto,pretty much. I personally prefer no music. The gymnastic forms you see on tv done to techno is not kata.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 03:52 PM

Oh. My. God.

This thread should be burned. Kata to music?

*retching*
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 04:22 PM

Posted by: jc4199

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 05:20 PM

I was just asking I was working out the other night and had left my head phones to do kata. I did them faster then I normally would have. I guess my main question was is it ok to do kata at different speeds.

Re: Kata to music - 08/14/05 06:27 PM

In the name of good hummor I will awnser this,

kata - not to be practised 'to' music (inc headpones), perhaps soft oriental music is ok in the background, maybee......... but I would think not.

Your kata has its own rythum developed from understanding the combinations and then expressed by your interpretation and natural timing, found through many years of repetition and application training.

good luck with your karate !

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 11:42 AM

I don't see how a little music will make that much of a difference. I don't always use music, but sometimes it helps with the workout.

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 12:00 PM

hey whatever works for you,

My expierience is that anything that suggests a rythum external to the kata will effect the delivery of the combinations, pesonally one of the key reasons I train kata as my base art is to extract the application principles form it, so when I practise formal kata I try to work the same timing as my bunkai.

Like I said very soft background music im sure is fine, we have oriental music sometimes in general class with no problems.

Tina Turner would be a little different ! (good legs though)
Posted by: oldman

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 12:10 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 12:30 PM

Can no see picture.

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 03:53 PM

Yeah, I find that when I do kata with Metallica playing, not only is speed quicker, but the power of the blows is more significant. I'm not saying only to do kata with fast pumped up music, but it sometimes improves my workout. I don't always do it with music because like you said, I usually do it without because I am focusing mainly on technique and applications, not finese and speed.

Re: Kata to music - 08/15/05 04:55 PM

Maybee try doing basics to metalica and think about kata in a different way ?