Shaolin- Do Katas

Posted by: b_d_41501

Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/05/05 04:52 PM

This is my first post, sorry if it's a repeat. Does anyone know of a site with drawings, pictures, or movies of katas found in Shaolin-Do. I'm very new to the art and I'm looking for a guideline to go by outside of class. Also, I would like to advance with an understanding as quickly as possible through the belts. I've found a few sites of descriptions of katas, but I don't understand what the statements mean and I need to see them in order to do them.
Posted by: firesnake

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/10/05 11:11 PM

I studied Shaolin Do for three years. It was the first martial art I studied and I learned all the material up to third brown. I left Shaolin Do and haven't looked back because of the lack of kata explaination. This isn't a knock on Shaolin Do so much as how it is taught. I found the katas on whole to be very applicable to real situations, but I feel the way it is taught is often sloppy with a focus on giving more and more material with only punch/block/kick explanations.

I never knew anyone in Shaolin Do who understood the katas on more than a surface level. I think the reason for this is because there are so many katas given at once and that the emphasis is always "you have to learn these next ten kata for your belt". Like all martial art forms and katas, there is a universe of techniques from tuite (joint locking-generally small joints) to pressure point application but I get the sense that the majority if not the whole of SD practitioners do not understand them as they are more concerned with gaining more and more kata.

If you took a month to break down the very first short kata, you would be amazed at what you would find. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 11:53 AM

Yes, this is true in most cases. However, my instructor takes the time to explain at least 3 to 4 scenarios in which to use each of the katas. I was afraid of doing Shaolin-Do because I had heard that most instructors just throw tons of katas at you and just want you to stand up and do belt tests. The first day I went to class they said, "We don't concentrate on belts. If you want to learn katas and do belt tests, great. If you don't, then we'll just teach you how to fight to protect yourself. If you want to do both, you'll be a great fighter." I chose the third option and I am very pleased with the outcome so far. My friend is taking it with me and he used to do Tae-Kwon-Do because he feared the whole "all kata, no practical use" statement as well. However, he seems to enjoy the class too.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 05:04 PM

'Shaolin-Do' ?
never heard of it...so I looked it up:
http://www.austinkungfu.com/history.asp

...interesting. is the "Do" part meant to be the Japanese meaning of "Do"?
as in Judo,karate-do,etc maybe the 'Do' part is why they wear karate uniforms yet practice a kung fu style? smells like bullshido.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 09:04 PM

Ten katas for your next belt!!!!

sniff, sniff.

Hmmmm???
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 10:47 PM

No comment about a Kung Fu style that has kata?
Kata are japanese, Kung Fu is Chinese.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 11:18 PM

Just read the website history.
Very poor fiction.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 11:25 PM

I thought about that...but then didn't question it since I have no idea what this style is actually based upon. anything goes. I think I'll start a style called karafu. we'll wear kungfu uniforms and practice a linear fighting style.
Still, we have to remember that no matter how bad the style, there would be at least one person who practices it that could probably kick our asses.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/15/05 11:57 PM

I am not questioning the usefullness/effectiveness, just the history.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/16/05 12:18 AM

In that respect...I think it's out to lunch. My first instict is to call this bullshido...until I hear someone explain otherwise.
Posted by: ShueyBaw

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 03:26 PM

Quote:

I was informed that Shaolin Kung Fu instead uses sets instead of kata so to speak and that you are kind of encouraged to make your own, though there are older ones of course. I think kata or sets should be only passed down master to student personaly unless you are going to make your own becuase they should hold the essence of the art.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 05:05 PM

Quote:

I was informed that Shaolin Kung Fu instead uses sets instead of kata so to speak and that you are kind of encouraged to make your own, though there are older ones of course. I think kata or sets should be only passed down master to student personaly unless you are going to make your own becuase they should hold the essence of the art.

lol. did someone drop a babble-bomb on this forum...or maybe it's the heat? suddenly no one is making any linguistic sense.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 07:24 PM

If you cant say anything nice....or useful....dont say anything at all.

I was just trying to say that Kung Fu has sets and Karate has kata.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 10:19 PM

ok..I'll start being nice if you start being useful.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 10:52 PM

Shuey,

You have to admit that story line on the lineage of this style of Kung Fu seems an awfully lot like a bad MA movie. I mean if it's true....it's true. But I would certainly like to see some other disinterested info to confirm it.

-B

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/17/05 11:58 PM

Quote:

Shuey,

You have to admit that story line on the lineage of this style of Kung Fu seems an awfully lot like a bad MA movie. I mean if it's true....it's true. But I would certainly like to see some other disinterested info to confirm it.

-B

What? I'm just talking about Shaolin Kung Fu from the temples of Northern China and the scattered southern monastery. I'm not sure what you are talking about, I'm just talking about Shaolin Kung Fu sets.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/18/05 02:49 AM

The website and the student here calls them kata-I know every one else refers to them as forms or sets.

The history makes several suspicious claims-one of them being the founder, grandmaster, whatever received a blackbelt in kung fu in 1940's.
They gave out blackbelts in kung fu then?
Posted by: coxne

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/18/05 04:41 PM

First, let me say that I have been practicing shaolin-do for a year and a half now. In my area, there is a ju-jitsu school, a tkd school, and shaolin-do school. I am a member of the ju-jitsu for 5 months, and shaolin for 14 months. Sure, there are things that I don't buy into about the lineage of the school, but frankly it doesn't matter to me as long as I enjoy what we do. I know I will never be a UFC champion, but that doesn't matter to me.

As for the teaching of the forms, my instructor does a (in my opinion) good job of showing applications to what we learn.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/19/05 11:54 AM

As does mine coxne. We bring in many other grappling styles in class as well. Just because you have never heard of something doesn't mean that it's no good either.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/19/05 02:32 PM

Quote:

As does mine coxne. We bring in many other grappling styles in class as well. Just because you have never heard of something doesn't mean that it's no good either.

Indeed, I'm a member of the IMSS, and we have all kinds of styles from Shorin Ryu Karate to Ninjitsu to Tae Kwon Do and teach skills such as Phillipino knife fighting techniques for example, and we all learn from each other and grow better, that is after all what the Shaolin Monastery did, act as a gathering place of knowledge and techniques, adding new styles and growing stronger as it went.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/20/05 12:44 AM

Exactly. I'm also taking a private class from one of my friends who does several styles pretty soon too. He does Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, Kempo, Tae Kwon Do, and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
Posted by: smjone4

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/22/05 02:35 AM

The reason that so many people call it shaolin DO is because when grandmaster Sin The' came to the US he brought the teachings and TRADITIONS of his teacher, Ie Chang Ming, with him. Ie Chang Ming taught shaolin kung fu in indonesia where chinese martial arts were illegal. In order to continue teaching he adopted the japanese uniform, belt ranking system, and added DO to the end. This was the chinese art could still be practiced and anyone looking wouldnt catch on. Sin The', out of respect for his teacher, merely carried on this tradition within his school.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/22/05 11:21 AM

Oh please...!
That's like disguising the origins of Chinese checkers by calling it Chinese squares.
I bet the Indonesian authorities really fell for that one.

I smell more bullshido!

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/22/05 12:53 PM

Hate to break it to ya but as strange as it may sound to you that is what happened. Grandmaster Sin The' explained that himself. If you would like to disagree with him, by all means go ahead. Until then, I think I will take the grandmaster's word for it.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/22/05 05:00 PM

Hey, how do you know I'm not a GrandMcMaster!

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 12:43 PM

It doesnt matter to me whether you are a grandmaster or just some fat guy in his house that wants to argue with people on the net cause he has nothing better to do. You didnt understand something, I gave you the explination as explained by the grandmaster. If you still are not satisfied I'm sorry. You can get the phone number for Grandmaster Sin 'The off the net, call him and tell him your complaint. Perhaps he can enlighten you if you require further explination.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 01:16 PM

are you personally trained by Grandmaster Sin 'The ? You made it sound that way...so I asked.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 01:40 PM

It seems that every post when someone asks something about Shaolin-Do all people do is scream "Bullshido". Who cares if the history of the art seems a bit sketchy????!!! All I wanted to know is whether or not anyone knows of a site, book, video, etc. which explains beginner's Shaolin-Do short forms/techniques. If all you can do is respond with statements you can't confirm to be true or not, then don't respond at all. If you want to run your mouths then call the Sin The' Gym at 1-859-275-2148 and direct your complaints directly to the Grandmaster.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 04:43 PM

I don't have a complaint, it's not my club. But when I hear a story of lineage of this kind, I state my opinion that it's a bit fishy.
Bare in mind that my own club split from an org. that gives itself lineage back to Kanazawa. Total bullshido. The "Kancho" trained with Kanazawa once and graded himself from 2nd Dan to 7th, so I know bullshido when I smell it.
You will do well to remember that other people, not just forum members, come to this site for information. It is the responsibility of all members to ensure that bad advice or mis-information is shown to be exactly that....
...Which leads me on to my last point;
Please be accurate in your insults.
It's BALD guy in his house that wants to argue with people, not FAT guy.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 05:23 PM

That's fine and dandy if you want to let me know of the fishy history of my style. However, I did not ask a question about it's history. I asked a question of the katas within the style.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 09:24 PM

Exactly, this entire thread has gotten way off target, which alway seems to happen. Why cant people answer the question that is presented to them and leave it at that?

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/23/05 11:44 PM

I know smjone4, and this is sad too. All criticisms aside, does anyone know of any such book, tape, site???????
Posted by: Stampede

Oi. - 07/24/05 12:15 AM

There are several online videos showing Shaolin-Do kata performance. According to certain groups of the Shaolin-Do Association, and various groups related to the Mullins' schools, these are not showcases for "authentic Shaolin-Do skills." Me, I've never sparred with an SD guy. I've talked with many, though. One actually didn't seem to like the Kool-Aid the SDA passes about.

Also, from my understanding of the SDA curriculum, you'll be getting many forms. And these forms will probably be taught differently by the online instruction than your instructor. So, my advice would be to not go by the online sources you find.

Cyborg Pounds the Morter, indeed.

(as an aside, I've never worked out with, trained with, sparred with, an SD student/instructor. There are no SD schools in Arkansas to my understanding.)

Re: Oi. - 07/24/05 09:28 AM

Thanks for the related response anyway.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/24/05 09:56 PM

Quote:

That's fine and dandy if you want to let me know of the fishy history of my style. However, I did not ask a question about it's history. I asked a question of the katas within the style.

I think it's fishy why you wouldn't ask your instructor. but the strict answer to your question is, no I don't know of any videos/books on this style....sorry. good luck.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/24/05 11:24 PM

I did ask my instructor, and because he had no response that's why I'm asking it on here. If I had the answer why would I need to ask it again?? Thanks for a straight-up response though, it's appreciated instead of having to argue about the history of the art after each response.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/26/05 11:21 AM

I don't know of any sites that have drawings or pictures of forms, but if you want to progress the best advice I can give is to listen to your instructor. He has been doing it longer, and can offer better advice than pictures can. Your sifu may have videos in his library as well. Also don't get too carried away with wanting to advance as quickly as possible. Instead of focusing on what color is around your waist, focus on what the form is doing. Just keep working on what you are doing, and soon you will be up to the "cool stuff". The sites that mention the movements in the forms will help you after you learn the form. But for the time being, focus on your material. That is the best advice I can give.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/26/05 12:32 PM

Yeah, I was mainly looking for stuff to reinforce the material from class. Do you take Shaolin in Hamilton, OH?

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/26/05 01:58 PM

For the time being, yes. I joined the Marine Corps, so as of Sept. 26, I will only be able to go to class when I am home on leave (first leave being December 23). I will be taking my last test for awhile on September 25 down in Lexington. I am assuming you will be there testing for your yellow? Is your instructor Leonard, Sin The, or someone else?

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/26/05 05:55 PM

I actually take it in Pikeville, KY. My teacher is Greg Charles, a 3rd degree black. Master Garry Mullins (8th degree) comes up from TN from time to time to give seminars and lessons. Actually, Greg just does belt tests at our dojo. Don't get me wrong, there are times when belt tests are done at Sin The's place as well. If they go i'll go with them though. I'll look for you there, what do you look like?

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/27/05 01:30 PM

6'3, brown/black hair, bigger guy testing for first brown. glasses gotta couple months though.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 07/27/05 11:40 PM

I'll look for you if I make the trip. I'll probably be testing for Yellow within the next 2 weeks. I've got all 10 Short Katas, all 10 Sparring Techniques, and the required Self Defense techniques down. Now it's just a matter of getting them to instinct-like speed. I know all of their applications (well, at least 3 per kata) so I'm pretty confident in my abilities at the moment. I sparred (no contact) for the first time against a 1st degree black. If it were contact he would've killed me, but I got in around 4 or 5 moves he thought were nice and commented on. I then sparred against a 2nd Brown and I felt more confident with this sparring match. I got several good moves in, which as did he since he's got more experience, but I was overall pleased with how I did. I figured I would be embarrassed by them both (which I kind of was by the black).
Posted by: smashed

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 08/30/05 02:13 PM

I've been taking Shaolin Do for a little over a year. I've also studied TKD. I got into because I wanted to get back into a martial art. I moved from Ireland a few years ago and had studied TKD there and really enjoyed it. I searched for a style for about 2 months before settling on this one. I'd looked at other TKd schools in my area and a lot of them were basically day care centers for kids and that wasn't something I wanted. I wanted something with plenty of material to keep me interested and damn does it have that.

To answer an earlier post about no one understanding anything but the surface effects of a form, I think thats purely a teacher thing. We'll spend classes going over one miniscule technique and break it down until we figure out how many different ways it can be applied. Sometimes it's not obvious stuff but when you unlock the techniques they're pretty devastating. There's multiple techniques that focus on shattering joints, hitting nerve areas, splitting muscles and to be honest I'm still a ways from black belt which to be honest is still considered beginner (in the temple there were really only 4 levels: novice, apprentice, master grandmaster (or something like that) The belt rankings are a relatively new creation and really more designed as an indication of where you are. I'd love to know the history of belt rankings in any style, my feeling is that back in the origins of any ancient style such as kung fu, karate etc etc belt rankings didn't exist.

Lets be honest about this regardless of what style, where it is, what it's history is it will only ever as good as the martial artist learning it and the teacher teaching it. There are any number of "reputable" schools or styles that will take your money and happily give you a black belt. The higher level It's up to the individual to take the time to properly learn a style. Dont take shortcuts, so many people go through the process of getting to black belt then give up because they figure they know it all. From what I've seen when you get to black belt thats when it starts getting really good so pick a style for life not just for the few years to black belt.

Anyway to wrap up this long rambling post, whether you believe it or not is up to you but this is actually a pretty nice style. It's not bullshido. As with anything find a good school and a solid teacher and you should be fine.
Posted by: GDKRaiden

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/04/05 04:35 AM

Hey, i live in Harlan, Ky :P were pretty close...i practice Kempo...:P
about a year ago i spared about light/medium contact with a much higher ranking student from sholin-do he was a 2nd kyu and i was like 6th or 7th kyu and i beat the guy pretty bad...
afterwords his "Sensi" Insulted my Shihan to my face,and my shihan wasn't even there... so, i guess sholin-do doesn't teach honor and respect? or maybe it was just this guy... but as the martial artist i try to be ,i respected him even tho he made me furious.....

Anyway....getting on subject...........

from what i have seen,..Not only are sho-lin-do's katas Stupid...they aren't practical...and they are very sloppy....4 guards at the gate? the Monkey Kata? haha ,come on...Grab 2 guys by the head and smack their faces together, then do a flying side kick to one, then Chop the other guy's his neck and stomach ?
And Wtf is a Hit Kick ? that is the most stupid move i have ever seen... lol thats funny...Okay, okay..., show me someone that can do those applications in a fight...and i'll "bow to your sensi"...LOL "napoleon dynamite...i love that movie..LOL"

the only reason im insulting it , is because #1 from what i have seen, its true , and #2 i have been insulted by Sholin-do in the past , so i think we're even now....lol

and yes... know im being Harsh, and making it out to sound like Rex-Kwon-DO....butfrom what i have seen....it is....

But hey, im not insulting you , im insulting what i have seen of the art...and what i have seen is a joke....
maybe the schools in my area have put a bad name on Sholin-do ,....maybe its just my area....i will believe its a joke untill someone proves me wrong...but it would be great for you to drive down to harlan and visit my school , and meet my shihan , he is realy experienced and knows about
everything you would wanna know about anything ..."he is a 3 time world champ " lol, and you could see what our style is like , and maybe see why i think the way i do about sholin-do...

Love ,Your Friend,
-Raiden

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/09/05 04:58 PM

Yeah, I mean that's what you've seen of it. It's kind of sad that someone would represent the art in such a rude and bad (meaning sucky lol) kind of way. My teacher is a 3rd Black and we have class on Tuesdays at 7:00 on the top floor of the YMCA complex in front of Pikeville High School if you ever want to come by and check it out. I would be about as talented as the guy you sparred though, I'm only a Yellow Belt and I've only been training for like a month now. You're welcome to come by and check it out if you're ever in Pikeville on Tuesdays at 7:00.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/09/05 06:45 PM

Mr Subliminal says: did I mention to come by on Tuesdays 7:00? {wink wink nudge nudge}

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/10/05 01:25 PM

Lol. I didn't realize I said it twice. We're always looking for new students to the class, that's all I was saying.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/15/05 12:33 AM

You can find someone in any martial art that will represent it badly. From what I have seen (having taken several different kinds of martial arts) the way we train is the most comprehensive. We cover so much, and the level of your own involvement is up to you. If you merely want to learn katas fine. Myself and a few others train in katas, weapons, sparring, grappling, wrestling, boxing, self defense, anything that you can imagine. Some of the moves may seem kind of strange but overall, I would be confident in the training that we recieve compared to any other. This is not to say that I or even my teacher could beat anyone in the world, there is always someone better, all I'm saying is that as far as the training that we do, I have yet to see anything more complete and comprehensive. We welcome people from other areas to come train with us to see what we do. I think you'll be impressed.
Posted by: GDKRaiden

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/19/05 09:29 PM

Im curoius what does sholindo mean? The way of shaolin? cuz it lookes nothing like the Shaolin Kungfu i know of...im confused....
a chinese system that uses japanese terms and uniforms?
i have heard the story about why...but it doesnt fit the dates and stuff....can someone offer me a better explanation , or give some further detail on the one most ppl seem to believe?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/20/05 09:36 AM

Shaolin-do is apparently a recently devised system of various arts that have been labeled as stated. Any training is better then no training I just hope its well thought out some new systems have no stable grounds and take you in so many directions that you are not grounded in any.

Train hard and study wisely, only time can prove a system. I hope your journey is not a test of futility.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/20/05 11:54 AM

http://fulcrumfitness.com/shaolindo/brochure.htm

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/20/05 11:56 AM

This page gives a very basic overview of what the art consists of and a very very brief overlook at its history. Grandmaster Sin The also has set up a few of his own webpages that help to explain the history and practices of the art. http://www.shaolin-do.com/ http://www.sinthe.com/
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/20/05 04:52 PM

This a recent devised system at best, its history talks about the Shaolin temple as if they are 1, yet by its class format its obviously they are not. It doesn't say how this Shaolin-do came about (a Chinese and Japanese term), it sounds like something born in Kentucky from the 70s it goes from sifu to sensie. Or what year this concept origin. Everything is generalized and untraceable. In almost each rank Grade a life time of studies is introduces as seen below.

1st Black belt to Second BB

Tai Chi Ch'uan Yang Tai Chi (64)
Pa Kua Chang Classical Pa Kua
....... and on and on

It starts Iron Body training at its highest rank level, if you ain't got it by then it ain't gonna do you much go 45-60+.

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/20/05 08:53 PM

Quote:

In almost each rank Grade a life time of studies is introduces as seen below.

1st Black belt to Second BB

Tai Chi Ch'uan Yang Tai Chi (64)
Pa Kua Chang Classical Pa Kua
....... and on and on

It starts Iron Body training at its highest rank level, if you ain't got it by then it ain't gonna do you much go 45-60+.

I'm not sure there's a complete sentence structure anywhere in this section of your post. Could you clarify your argument on the issue please?

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 09/22/05 02:07 PM

I attempted to show you were you could go to look up the info that you requested. I am not going to force feed it to you. The pages I sent you will shed some light on you issue if you will just explore and read them. The SDA has a good background and history of the art if you just go read it. If you can't find it or read then I will go and copy and past it for you. This method of force feeding information shows a lack of effort on your part and I would love to not have to resort to it. However, sometimes narrow minds call for desperate measures
Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 10/23/05 10:33 PM

I realise as stated by one of the Shaolin-Do practitioners that this thread is not about it's credentials or history and fair enough you're right, so I'm going to create a new topic for some heated discussion on the subject. Let's party on...!!! Shaolin Do pracitioners - comments of your experiences in all aspects of your training/art would be greatly welcomed as I don't want this discussion to be a one sided slagging match. Cheers.
Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 10/24/05 12:50 AM

Sorry for double posting, but the discussion topic has been posted in the karate forum. Well I couldn't decide whether it was chinese/japanese so......;)
Posted by: KLRickett

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 11/19/05 09:10 PM

I don't understand why everyone's up for bashing Shaolin. I've met GM Sin-The several times, and have been studying the art for three years. So far, it's been very useful in both mind and body training. As for the history, I fully trust the Grandmaster, whether people from other forms do or not. I am also a student of Ninjitsu, a form of Ninja training. So far, I am more fond of Shaolin-Do.

That's just my two bits.

And to the fellow who originally posted here, you say you study in Harlan? I believe, when there is a GM test (next one being in March and the last one in September), that your gym comes to my gym in Corbin for testing, no?
Posted by: Shinobiteacher1

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas - 12/07/05 02:05 PM

Quote:

I see hmmmm??? They use the japanese designation for degree.
"DAN"??? I thought they went by sash.
Shaolin-Do is better known as Xiaolin Kung Fu.
Posted by: ntgarten

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas and style - 05/22/11 12:36 PM

Shaolin-Do Katas are great for strength, balance, and coordination. The reason that SOME of the schools wear the karate uniform, and the reason that some japanese terminology is used in SOME of the Shaolin-Do schools is very clear, if you research the life of Grandmaster Ie Chang Ming. Those that that a limited education, or even much experience in Martial Arts (or Chinese history) should respect any Martial Art styles and not discount their life changing benefits because they don't understand a few minor details. Shaolin-Do has evolved over the past 4 decades and now is taught as Chinese Shaolin Kung-Fu, and also as the original Shaolin-Do Karate, depending on the school. All schools are under the direction and sanction of Grandmaster The' (pronounced tay) and teach a wealth of great material. Like in a university, a student finds his own path of concentration and talent, after absorbing much beneficial material. One technique may be great for one person, but not work for another - however the principles behind the study are beneficial. Grandmaster The' is one of the most sincere and caring instructors that I have ever met in the over 40 years that I have personally known him. I have traveled the country, and worked out with many styles and schools, and I can honestly say the the Shaolin-Do practitioners are a close brotherhood of caring people - many with exceptional abilities and unique talent. That is probably why one U.S. school in the 1960s has spread to easily over 300 schools (or more)in almost every state and around the world.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas and style - 05/22/11 03:53 PM

My experience with Shaolin Do about ten years ago:

The instructor was a fifteen year old red belt..who explained to me that the historical significance of a red belt was that it would be covered in an opponents blood..not kidding, I coulnd't help laughing when he said it..with a completely serious "I'm a warrior dude" expression.

I don't doubt there are earnest practitioners of Shaolin Do who have some skill..but the system itself is a fabrication, and a bit of a marketing scheme.

Firstly the amount of stuff purported to be taught in the system is ludicrous, any traditional martial artist that claims they can teach something combatively worthwhile by teaching set after set and kata after kata should be questioned, less is more, and in the end the knowledge is either there to use all that stuff in the kata or it isn't.

Secondly, "Grandmaster The" has made some RIDICULOUS claims that basically amount to him having super powers, draw your own conclusions on that one.

Thirdly, the history of the style is clearly 100% BS to anyone who knows a little about the history of eastern martial art and culture, and one look at their "kata" and body mechanics will show that most of the syllabus is material which was learned in very shallow fashion and pasted on to the curriculum over the years.

Sorry to be so blunt but Shaolin Do is one of those things that's a very clear cut issue to my mind, anyone who wants to do a bit of digging will see what i'm talking about.

Again that's not to say there aren't individual practitioners of the style out there doing something worthwhile..the larger system they they are connecting themselves to though, IMO is not worth entertaining as any kind of quality training in traditional martial arts.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: Shaolin- Do Katas and style - 06/29/11 10:49 PM

Sad, many do not bother to research