Kararunfa?

Posted by: schanne

Kararunfa? - 07/05/05 03:40 PM

Never saw someome else do kararunfa from another Goju dojo and had the opportunity to see it the other day. It is very different than what we are tought Shihan said it is because there are so many different types of Goju that many of them have been watered down. He also stated that he new Master Urban did change some of the kata's after he left Japan to return to the United Stated.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/05/05 04:42 PM

first, I spell it different: "kururunfa".

I learned the version of Morio Higaonna's Goju. I couldn't find an online video of it.

The only variation I've seen is in Shito-Ryu.
http://www.shitokai.com/movies/kururunfa.php

I've seen competition versions, but those don't count since they aren't considered a version modified for function, but rather for visual pleasantness.

here are some other versions that may interest you for comparison:
http://www.gojuryu.ch/francais/video.htm

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/07/05 03:13 PM

God, my grammar is terrible. Your spelling is correct and sometimes I wonder what Master Urban tought our Shihan?
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/07/05 05:32 PM

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is Master"
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/08/05 07:17 AM

Quote:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is Master"

The quote is clear, but if I gave inaccurate information, could you correct it...thanks.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/08/05 01:53 PM

Master Peter Urban understood less then his teacher Gogen Yamaguchi (the Cat) Understood and both changed the Kata to what they understood. What I see in japanese Goju is less Chinese influence more stiff muscle strength and linera even longer movenments then the shorter circular movements in the original Okinawan forms.

Master Urban concern was to make what he learned more combat effective his USA style of Goju is a rough and tumble version of Japanese Goju. It has a lot more of Shuire-Te influnce. Similar to Shito-ryu. Master Urban also added his Elbow kata Urban-Empi 1-2 & 3.

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/08/05 03:48 PM

Did you or your Sensei train with Master Urban?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kararunfa? - 07/08/05 04:59 PM

No but I've had a many of his students come by and I visit them *and also Lou Angels studenst) only to find that we practice a different type of art. We are alike in ways but there are more differences then things in common. Like any style we could spar and work on advance techniques applications. They did seem to go around the block at a application.

USA Goju is a good Hybird art, I wish my system can land that soild.