are these katas familiar

Posted by: kibadachi1

are these katas familiar - 05/21/05 02:57 PM

i take chito ryu karate my white belt katas were 27 movements and zenshin kotai, my yellow belt katas are heian shodan, heian nidan, taikoyoko sandan, and kata nidan, i notice our heian nidan is different, coming back down the I form instead of reverse inside to outside block rear leg front kick then reverse punch and then once more from the opposite side we do left leg forward female horse stance(cross legged stance) right downward punch to groin then hook the leg with right hand , right leg front kick , reverse punch and then once more and the rest is the same , if this sounds familiar can you tell me wich katas lay ahead for me or name some good websites thanks
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: are these katas familiar - 05/21/05 10:49 PM

Quote:

if this sounds familiar can you tell me wich katas lay ahead for me or name some good websites thanks

I don't mean to be harsh,but you really need to focus on your current katas.They contain basics that you will fall back on time and time again. 27 movements is alot of movements and bunkai in and of itself.You could put several years of study into just one kata,don't get ahead of yourself.
Posted by: kibadachi1

Re: are these katas familiar - 05/22/05 12:24 AM

i don't want to waste time studying 1 kata for years trying to learn bunkai, wouldn't it be easier if you just tell me what the bunkai is for certain movements lol
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: are these katas familiar - 05/22/05 01:28 AM

You want to be spoon fed and take the easy way out? I am still learning new things from my beginner kata. Telling you what the bunkai is is easy.Being able to apply it on a resisting opponent is not. Trust me,it's not a waste of time.
Posted by: Nilei

Re: are these katas familiar - 05/22/05 11:16 AM

HI!
I train chito ryu yoshukai, and that doesn't sound like one of our H-Forms. H-form 3 has punching and blocking schodachi(sp?), no crosslegged stance, groin block. At yellow belt i knew Sei San, Shi Hi Sho, Ro Hi Sho, and Rho Hi Dai. I don't know if your yellow is the same kyu grade as mine. But, like I was told, "don't get in too big of a hurry, learn what you need to know at your level and learn it well".