modern style kata

Posted by: kibadachi1

modern style kata - 05/21/05 12:44 AM

does anyone try doing kata with modern stance (like boxers) instead of traditional, and do partial movements for example for low block instead of putting your right arm straight down and bringing your left arm up to your shoulder and then move your left arm down to the block position and then chambering the other arm , from the hands up in front of you position just drop only your one arm and quickly block other hand is still blocking your face
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 08:11 AM

I'm big on perfecting stances.I try to do the movements in kata exactly the way I was taught to get a better feel of the aplications.Stances are transitional not static so "modern stances" are wasting the true movements.
"First perfect your stances,then rely on your own posture."
I believe what Funakoshi meant by that is adapting to your own style ONLY after being able to do the movements and stances perfect everytime.Can you?
When you change the movements and sances you lose the true applications.Try to keep them as close to perfect as possible.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 09:27 AM

i completely agree with sanchin. Kata were designed to have a specific function. You should never change the way they are done .
Posted by: Shorin-ryu Sensei

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 11:59 AM

I have to disagree ... I have changed a few movements in kata (including dropping over half of them from my curriculum) based on my interpretation of the movement. But this was not done on a whim .. it was done after 25 years of practice and with considerable thought.
Posted by: kibadachi1

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 01:13 PM

you have a great point there if there is no change it becomes stagnant with an experienced person such as yourself it can be improved
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 02:09 PM

He also said after 25yrs of experience.
If you'll notice, alot of different styles do the same kata differently. So they are personalized to an extent based on what the person likes or can do well. My instructor has made some changes in the kata he taught me as well,but I'm going to do them exactly the way they were taught to me until I have enough knowledge to make personalized changes myself,some of which might be putting back in what he left out.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 03:28 PM

Quote:

I have to disagree ... I have changed a few movements in kata (including dropping over half of them from my curriculum) based on my interpretation of the movement. But this was not done on a whim .. it was done after 25 years of practice and with considerable thought.

Kata is done a certain way for a reason. There are of course different levels of understanding. The "interpretation" should be developed in bunkai oyo, but in my opinion that which is discarded might have been useful in the future. If it is maintained then a person can develop it further, or pass it on so another can do so.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: modern style kata - 05/22/05 05:28 PM

There are styles that do kata in the manner you described. Ashihara karate & Enshin karate don't use traditional forms but what they term fighting kata. Very effective.

My background utilizes the old kata. Shito-ryu has the most kata when compared to the other styles. Does this make it better? No, just more to draw from.

People who simply make up kata for performance value have missed the point all together but those who have trained seriously for over 20 years can make their own decisions. I never worry that this will lead to the eventual demise of old kata simply because there are, & always will be "keepers of the flame".