You only get ONE!!

Posted by: BuDoc

You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 07:32 AM

Many of us have been exposed to many kata. Some of them you practice diligently, others you discard.

I would like you to choose ONE kata. Choose the one that you think contains the most valuable principles or the greatest number of principles.

This might be a kata you don't like, is not the prettiest, or the easiest or most challenging.

You only get one. This will be the only one you can practice for the rest of your MA career. Choose wisely

If you would like, you can state why. However you do not have to.

Page
Posted by: CVV

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 10:31 AM

Goju ryu sesan kata.

It fits my way of fighting and I fit the kata's curriculum.
There's a nasty 'thumb into throat' technique I love and a lovely 'knee in the testicles'. Also the only fumikomi geri found in our style is in the kata. Lovely opening in close fighting to let your opponent drop his guard without being able to retreat, as you stomp on his foot.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 11:54 AM

naihanchi for me.

simple effective principles that are very useable in self defense. nice variation of techniques ie ridge hand, enpi, yoko tsuki, low kick, cross stepping, double arm actions, same arm strike after block, loads of tuite and kyusho.

its endless and a foundation in okinawan karate IMO.
Posted by: AgenT

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 02:30 PM

Kanku Dai, its fluid,powerful and dynamic.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 03:34 PM

I have to agree with you, shoshinkan. For such a short kata the amount of applications in it is staggering.
Posted by: oldman

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 04:00 PM

Naihanchi?........ Bassai?.........Naihanchi?........ Bassai?.........Naihanchi?........ Bassai?.........Naihanchi?........ Bassai?.........Naihanchi?........ Bassai?.........UMMMMM? ..crap
Posted by: cxt

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 04:34 PM

Seisan, naha versions.

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 05:14 PM

Keep 'em coming guys!

Oldman, since you were #1, you get 2. I would hate to drive you to dimentia over naihanchi or passai

Page
Posted by: kenposan

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 05:30 PM

I am a big Naihanchi and Passai fan but I would have to choose Kusanku if I was limited to just one kata.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 05:42 PM

choki motobu cant be wrong and if he was still around we wouldnt tell him he was for sure, naihanchi all the way !

Now if were talking pretty then.....................LOL
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 07:12 PM

I'll take seiyunchin. I've done more studying on this kata than my others. It also has loads of applications in it.
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 09:34 PM

Uechi-ryu sanchin.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 09:43 PM

Matsubayashi Wankan: Tai Sabaki(dodging, evasion, body shifting), powerful punching combinations, distancing, low kicks, knee strikes, tuite(trapping/joint locking, bone breaking), vital point striking, covering from a distance and controling when in close. It is more of a "sprawl and brawl" kata. It teaches defense against a takedown, fighting in the clinch, and how to control distance and dominate a fight.
Posted by: Multiversed

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/19/05 10:34 PM

Paisai/Patsai/Passai Dai (Matsumura)
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/20/05 12:22 AM

Passai

I really love Naihanchi as well though...can't I have two?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/20/05 09:27 AM

The First Rule of Karate is Cheat! Play the game to Win!

So I pick the following One, and the order does not imply greater merit.

1. Isshinryu Sanchin
2. Isshinryu Seisan
3. Isshinryu Chinto
4. Isshinryu SunNuSu
5. Tomari Roahi
6. Ueichi Sanchin
7. Goju Seipai
8. Bando Short Stick

BTW this is just the short list of my ONE. The Full List is Much Longer, but any of these could be a lifetime study in their own right.
Posted by: Sanchin

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/20/05 09:45 AM

If I only had ONE kata ? It really could be ANY one kata for me, im a big fan of Sanchin .. all versions, Naihanchi Shodan is a awesome kata, I very much like Okinawan Kenpo Seisan I think this is Tomari Seisan im not sure, its the one shigeru nakumura practiced/taught. In the end I would probaly pick sanchin over any other kata.

What about only ONE technique found in any kata, which technique would that be ?
Posted by: shukokaichap

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/20/05 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'll take seiyunchin. I've done more studying on this kata than my others. It also has loads of applications in it.

Count me in with Seienchin too. Lots of application and lots to learn. A difficult kata to make look good in my opinion.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/21/05 08:22 PM

I pick Seiunchin as well, its the one I have to do for my Shodan. It is full of yatsukos and I find it just keeps getting better and I'm finding more in it every time I do it.

Our founder says it embodies much of the system and develops our power.

It is one of the foundations together with Taiyoku Shodan, Naihanchin, Sanchin and Tensho.
Posted by: Shorin-ryu Sensei

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/22/05 11:53 AM

My choice: Gojushiho (Matsubayashi version) ... second: Hakatsuru Go
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/23/05 02:21 AM

Annanko - After a w/e Gasshuku last week, I learned so many reasons why Sanchin is important but Annanko has applications of Sanchin in it.

Plenty of open-hand techniques, empi-uchi, take-down w/ F/U, dynamic & subtle.

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/24/05 07:04 AM

I was wondering if anyone would choose any of the "Fighting" kata. Annanku or Kusanku. I should have known it would be Hedkikr

Page
Posted by: IsshinRyuStudent

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/26/05 10:00 AM

I would choose Sanchin for chinkuchi development and Naihanchi for fighting applications. Wansu and Siesan would be next on my list. For those who don't know, chinkuchi literally means bone, sinew, and energy. Chinkuchi is basicaly total controll of your technique and center of gravity, focus, directing energy to different parts of your body and propper breathing.These are all things that I believe Sanchin teaches. I also believe that this is why so many Okinawan styles stress Sanchin so much. Isshin Ryu is a combination of Goju Ryu and Shorin Ryu. They way that I practice Isshin Ryu is to use the Goju Ryu Kata for chinkuchi development and the Shorin Ryu kata for fighting. I must say though If I could pick only one it would be Sanchin. I would use my basics for fighting.
Posted by: harlan

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/26/05 10:04 AM

I like Saifa (Smash! Tear!).
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/26/05 11:07 AM

Naihanchi hands down. Although we practice all three as one kata.

Kempoman
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/27/05 02:12 PM

Only one... I would have to go with AKK's Short Form Three. It contains the most complete coverage of the styles principles. The other forms in AKK, especiall Long 3, 4, 5, and six, might look better, but they favor the style of movement that is present in brown/black belt techniques, whereas Short three is the intermediary that covers the entire range of movement in AKK.
Posted by: student

Re: You only get ONE!! - 05/31/05 11:41 PM

Good choice KiDoHae. I agree completely.
Posted by: Salek

Re: You only get ONE!! - 07/20/05 04:50 PM

KANKU DAI i think
Posted by: McSensei

Re: You only get ONE!! - 07/20/05 09:25 PM

The Channan.
All 5 Heians in one.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: You only get ONE!! - 07/21/05 07:25 AM

Suparinpei.
It's the only Goju kata that I have not been taught.
Posted by: PineForest

Re: You only get ONE!! - 07/22/05 02:11 PM

I've got to go with Passai Dai (Matsumura). I think it's one of the more well rounded kata including strikes, locks, escapes, throws, etc. If I'm going to study only one kata as my style, it should be versatile.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: You only get ONE!! - 07/22/05 04:45 PM

I like Seipa or Superinpa, and Tensho.

Maybe Baisai or Tekki II pending my mood.
Posted by: IsshinRyuStudent

Re: You only get ONE!! - 10/04/05 08:49 AM

Who gives a damn if it looks good? Katas are for kicking ass not for show! The fact that some katas are beautiful to watch is secondary to their bunkai. I would rather have an ugly techniqe that utilizes propper body mechanics for maximum delivery of force and leverage that a pretty one with no power or the with an illusion of power. Just my thoughts.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: You only get ONE!! - 10/04/05 05:35 PM

I believe if a kata is done right it does look good.No excuses for sloppy kata,so I guess I care.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: You only get ONE!! - 10/04/05 08:26 PM

Heian Godan.

And I have been practiscing karate for twelve years. Yep.

I have always liked this kata, and it's rich applications.

Also, I won't be stuffed after perfroming it a few times!
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: You only get ONE!! - 10/09/05 09:32 PM

For the kata with the most and/or most important principles it would have to be Naihanchi.

I would have to cheat slightly and take Naihanchi I II and III as one kata.
Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: You only get ONE!! - 10/20/05 09:24 AM

I've got a feeling I should be picking a Tekki kata here from what I've heard about Naihanchi's applications. But as I havn't got around to looking at the bunkai for myself yet (currently thinking about Bassai Dai) I would pick Unsu as it contains an interesting range of techniques, is difficult to perform so would be physically testing and it's got ippon nukite so I get to poke peoples eyes out. Mind you,it's a kata I never got that good at.