What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art

Posted by: Corruptor

What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 11:08 AM

Hey Folks

Just wondering what MA you study and how long it takes to become a black belt in that art. I am currently studying Tae Kwon Do with the TAGB- Tae Kwon Do Asscociation Of great Britain and it takes a minimum of 3 years and 6 months before you can become a black belt.

Cheers Corruptor
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corruptor:
Hey Folks

Just wondering what MA you study and how long it takes to become a black belt in that art. I am currently studying Tae Kwon Do with the TAGB- Tae Kwon Do Asscociation Of great Britain and it takes a minimum of 3 years and 6 months before you can become a black belt.

Cheers Corruptor
[/QUOTE]
Posted by: Big Bear

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 12:21 PM

Corruptor i was with TAGB but my instructor moved us to GTI. Not sure why. it's the same there though 3.5 years.

I didn't think there was enuf "rolling" or grappling going on so i took on ju jitsu as well, (with the World Ju jitsu federation-headquaters is in Liverpool-Sensei Robert Clarke is the main man in WJJF). It takes 4 years or so to get to black belt.

Big Bear
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 03:27 PM

Ryukyu Kempo... takes about 4 1/2 to 6 years to reach shodan.

Regards,

Raul
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 04:31 PM

Did Shotokan, got to black after 5 years although it is possible after 3 - although I don't know many people that do it unless they have come from another art or are very fit to begin with - and very committed.

I do know that Aikido takes ages - about 10 years and BJJ can take years - infact I would say that a BJJ black belt sounds one of the hardest to achieve - I know I bump into blackbelts in this that and the other but I don't think I have ever met a blackbelt in BJJ.

Its all semantics really if your good your good - a guy at our club holds a wako pro title in kick boxing and he isn't a black belt.
Posted by: ninja-raiden

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 05:22 PM

I'm sorry, but the time it takes to reach black belt level FOR ANY ART UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO AN MC DOJO, is purely up to the martial artist.

Depending on their speed of progress, it could take them 8 years, or it could take them 2.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/07/03 07:07 PM

It took me about four and a bit years to be awarded 1st Dan in Yoseikan but that included one year (the fourth) where I trained virtualy every day. Ninja Raiden is correct that this is all very subjective in terms of the individual student in question. However, regardless of talent or effort, there must be defined periods of training where an individual cannot grade despite being nominaly good enough to, simply for the sake of experience. I really believe that at a regular pace of training it should not take less than 5 years.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: mark

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 01:44 PM

Took me about 8 yrs to get my black belt in something called tai-ki-do; 1 of those all singing and dancing arts that expect you to punch as well as you can hip throw. Damn good it was.

Takes about 5 yrs to get a black belt in yoseikan (which I now teach)

MR V was/is quite exceptional in his achievement, probably the quickest beginner to 1st dan we have ever had, mind you he did give me LOADS of money………..

It is really all down to effort/natural ability and avoiding injury.

Mark
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 03:05 PM

It took me over six years to get my black belt in wado ryu karate.
I think it's going to take me double that to get a black belt in jujitsu. I still breakfall like a sack of spuds!
Sharon

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 03:11 PM

Cheque in the post as we speak Mark [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: TruthHurts

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 03:57 PM

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Usually takes 8 - 15 years for black belt. Occasionally a prodigy will make it in 5 or less.
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 04:51 PM

Surely hours are more important than years?

I usually end up taking about 12 weeks out of every year for work and exams, so a years's training for me is less than 40 weeks, and the hours in a week vary from 2 to 15.

I reckon I've had about 1000 hours or so in the dojo - 85/90% karate, 5% weapons, 10% grappling.

About 80 hours of gung fu. 35 hours of Judo. 160/170 hours amateur boxing, Now spending half the year on this and half the year on karate. Probably add a few hundred hours messing about at home.

oh yes must not forget! - 2 hrs of cartwheels in that Brazillian art, the name of which escapes me at the mo, 2 hrs under a JKD instructor and 2hrs kickboxing.

Come february I'll have been at it for 6 years, I don't think I'll be up for a Dan grading until I've done 7 or 8 years. And then I've got to pass it..........

Dear me and Mr.V did it in half that time..........must try harder.....
Posted by: madhag

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 05:24 PM

in my school, the average to reach black belt is 8-10 years depending on how much you train.

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/08/03 06:15 PM

Alec, its not just about hours, though indeed you need to put in the hours to see results at the other end. Time allows you to grow into your current grade and to develop at a pace that your instructor deems suitable. There is also the fact that (for example) a 3rd Kyu who has just passed to 2nd Kyu is most likely a bad 2nd Kyu compared to someone of the same grade who has held it for 6 months. Passing a grading does not make you ready for the next one simply by virtue of it being the next step up the ladder. Wearing the belt in question just means you are good enough to wear it, not good enough to take it off and replace it. The hard hours will indeed bring that day a bit closer, but time to develop within the grade is a valuable commodity. As for me, perhaps I can leave you with this thought. Think of all the different things that you have been doing, all the different styles that you have been undertaking. In the year that I trained solidly before taking my 1st Dan I spent about 2 solid months working exclusively on a dodgy rear leg roundhouse kick (Mark can verify this). When I got my 1st Dan, i had a base. Then I felt justified in myself in going off and learning Boxing and some JKD and so on. Of course Yoseikan as you know is a very diverse Art, so I was getting a good variety of range training, but I kept to the basics until I felt that I had a good grounding. Perhaps that accounts for my doing it in slightly less time than it has taken others.

Regds
Mr V

[This message has been edited by MrVigerous (edited 09-08-2003).]
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/10/03 08:48 AM

I have said it before, belt rankining is of little signifigance; especially in todays world of Mc Dojos.
Originally BB meant expert; butI can hardly believe that most of the people that hold a BB are experts.
To me a black belt is a piece of cloth; I have one myself. It is the mind set and ability that makes someone an authentic BB.
Posted by: MorpheusRS

Re: What MA Do You Study & How Long Does It Take To Become A Black Belt In That Art - 09/12/03 10:55 AM

in sambo there are no belts, in judo takes about 6-8 years to get one, depends on competition results.. u can get one in a two years if u win the country championships twice in a row in adults or 16-20 age category. plus depends on the instructor.