One Inch Punch

Posted by: Raven

One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 12:19 AM

Does anybody know the one inch punch technique...well bruce lee used it(not sure if he invented it,doubt it)...to those who do know it ( i don't know how to explain it) But basically i was trying it out and well I hit with the top knuckles...then the bottom knuckles...but when i do the bottom ones..its more of a push then a hit upwards...so I don't know if this is correct, thanks guys for listening
Nevar

P.S. I hear some people in JKD boxing push?/hit downwards instead of upwards...i don't know how but they do...maybe they hit with the bottom knuckles then switch to the top ones.
Posted by: wrwakefi

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 05:22 AM

I'm no expert, but... try a Wing Chun school, and after a few years you may be taught it! Otherwise, here's my technique, I'm not saying it's 100% right, or better than anyone elses for that matter, it's just how i do it OK :-)

Here's some background; you need to involve a good stance, your back muscles (the ones that are stretched by grabbing a railing infront of you with your feet under the railing and leaning backwards!), and explosive energy.

Using the right hand...
Start with a loose fist. Imagine holding a bokken for instance. (So the palm is facing to the left). and the wrist is tilted down, so the imaginary bokken is towards your oponent.

Now comes the hard part!

Your wrist flicks upwards so the bottom two to three knuckles connect with the target, and your hand clenches tightly on impact. those back muscles come in too and your whole shoulder seems to shoot forward through the target. If you just use you arm muscles it's got no power, you can generate enormous amounts of power if involve your back.

Not a great explanation but hey it's a start.
I also imagine my chi exploding from my fist THROUGH the target and blasting a hole in the wall behind it, rather than imagining my chi shooting INTO the target which i sometimes find generates more of a 'push'.

Other than that check out the link of my Wing Chun school there are some interesting articles there, under Enlightenment and then Articles.
http://www.everyonekungfufighting.com/

Take care, & good luck :-)
Posted by: Bossman

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 01:06 PM

Try this:
Stand left side forward in natural stance toes barely gripping to the floor, place the bottom knuckles on the the partners chest, push backwards through the right foot to the floor and use that push to "vibrate" the hips, link the hip vibration in a whip like motion to the punching wrist to "hammer and screw" the first two knuckles down and round into the target to either push through (for a push) or to the centre of the target for a focussed hit (will keep his feet still and "whip" his spine).

On the solar plexus is more effective but a little dangerous.

I would strongly advise against practising this too often as one day you will meet someone with an undiagnosed heart condition.

Steve Rowe
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 01:44 PM

There is a pretty good book, well it's panflet size really but its cheap and good all the same.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0918642027/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-5934668-0483063
Posted by: Sweeney

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 01:48 PM

I didn't stick around in Ving Tsun to be taught it formally, but I have had some informal coaching/instruction. I believe that the energy must start in the hips, as Bossman explains, although I think of it as more of a ripple than a vibration. It's kind of like a tsunami or "tidal wave": it's just a ripple out in deep water (down at the hips) but the energy transmitted to the final point of impact is surprisingly great. In truth, all punches should emanate from the hips, something that is taught in most martial arts schools (I was exposed to this teacing in Okinawan karate lomg before I tried Ving Tsun).

The closest I've ever come to the one-inch punch in a real street encounter was this: several years ago, while in a fairly aggressive phase during certain life events, I was walking in New York's crowded Penn Station at rush hour. Approaching me at high speed was a large beefy guy who had a "me-first" bearing. People were getting out of his way and he seemed to be enjoying it or at least taking it for granted. I suppose I could have shifted to the left to accommodate him, but there was something really annoying about his demeanor, so, as we quickly approached collision, I pretended not to notice him. At the same time, I started that little ripple from my hips, timed in such a way as to have it reach my right shoulder just as he was going to slam into it with his. The guy outweighed me by at least 50 punds, but when our shoulders met he was spun around twice and didn't even know where to look for me once he'd gotten his bearings. I just kept walking. I'm sure he had fully expected that the mere momentum of his forward movement and his large mass would have sent me flying, but he did not anticipate the "one-inch shoulder strike." In retrospect, I should have avoided the encounter, although no harm was done, it never escalated, and he may have learned a lesson. And it was fun. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/05/03 02:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
There is a pretty good book, well it's panflet size really but its cheap and good all the same.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0918642027/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/202-59346 68-0483063
[/QUOTE]

If anyone from the UK is thinking of getting a copy, this place http://www.martialart-superstore.starwebz.com/ has it for £5.00, with free delivery (within the UK). (From the homepage go to "catalogue" and then "Bruce Lee Books").

I'm not tight, but I think Amazon's shipping rates are a little ott - if I can save any of you chaps paying them, my work here is done [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 09-05-2003).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: One Inch Punch - 09/06/03 01:39 PM

A combination of Boss man's and wrwakefi's principles will work.

Personally I don't think Bruce Lee told anyone about his one inch, two inch punch so you are wasting your time asking. If you wan to develop such a punch you will have to think about the mechanics of the body on you own.

If he did all of these people who have tried to benefit (business wise)from claiming that they know these techniques would have been well known like Bruce himself.

Even if you do find out it's secret you won't be able to do it like Bruce Lee. <<<Just giving you a wake up call

[This message has been edited by Shotokan (edited 09-06-2003).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/06/04 09:53 PM

one inch punch.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] its just a basic wing chun punch. Its not in the first form, but it was shown to me in my first month. It doesn't start in your hips... Most shaolin punches start in your heel. Bruce was just using a basic wing chun punch.. nothing fancy... well if your not a wing chun fighter it may look fancy.
The basic principle behind the punch is "turning the horse". Its not that hard to learn. I will tell you that most wing chun fighters I see don't user/understand it. Allot of people who blow smoke..
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/06/04 10:11 PM

Bruce developed the 1,2 and 6 inch punch with James DeMille. However, as later revealed by Demille, its a publicity stunt. A tool to boost enrollment. Its likely that you will get yourself hurt. This was later realized and removed from the JKD curriculum.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/07/04 01:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by monji112000:
one inch punch.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] its just a basic wing chun punch. Its not in the first form, but it was shown to me in my first month. It doesn't start in your hips... Most shaolin punches start in your heel. Bruce was just using a basic wing chun punch.. nothing fancy... well if your not a wing chun fighter it may look fancy.
The basic principle behind the punch is "turning the horse". Its not that hard to learn. I will tell you that most wing chun fighters I see don't user/understand it. Allot of people who blow smoke..
[/QUOTE]

if it is so EASY to learn where are all those brucie wanna be pretenders showing off their so called skill in every show and tv apperance as possible ?
Posted by: DunDunna

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/07/04 03:45 AM

it is a basic technique. it should be one of the first things that you learn in wing chun. whether or not you choose to refine it into the powerful strike that it can be is up to you. its not something that is usually graded on. its just that wing chun principles make it a punch that you can develope, based on the use of short power and lower elbow training.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/07/04 03:47 AM

I still have the book that was published on the one and three inch punch. E-mail me if you are interested. Ed

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/07/04 06:25 AM

If you put your whole body into the punch the distance is not the point.
It can be done with no distance between you and the partner.
I know because i felt it.
It is a good thing to see if you put your whole body into the punch or not.
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/07/04 09:03 PM

I've read an article by a chinese author who tried to explain the mechanics Bruce probably used for that technique.

Fa Jin...I believe is how it's spelt...a concept in Tai Chi.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/08/04 03:43 AM

the problem is - bruce didnt invent the technique. he just made it famous.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/08/04 04:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DunDunna:
the problem is - bruce didnt invent the technique. he just made it famous.[/QUOTE]

what is a problem in that ?

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/08/04 03:30 PM

demonstration on 1 inch punch shows that you can hit some one with your total mass with out traditional arm sholder draw back. most people punch with arm->sholder->waist, this offers only what muscle-partial mass momentum can give which is limited. one should be able to project their total mass + velocity @Vcubed making a no inch punch possible

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/08/04 03:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belnick:

what is a problem in that ?
[/QUOTE]

the problem being - why try to explain how bruce lee did it when there is 1000's of people alive who can tell you how to do it.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/08/04 03:47 PM

The "one inch punch" is a technique for an advanced martial artist. Simply, if you don't know how to control your body, you cannot do this technique.

Ask your instructor to show it to you. He'll decide if you need to learn it.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/09/04 09:10 PM

not true, its one of the first techniques taught in wing chun - mind you it takes tons of practice to master it, so only advanced students (or gifted ones) would truely be able to execute it.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/10/04 01:44 PM

I have seen breakers do similar punches, its more of a specialized training technique then for regular martial artists. There are lots of guys out there breakin cinder blocks over there faces or slabs of ice. These types of things are for showing off not for fighting. Mind you I am not fighting anyone who breaks bricks with there face.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/11/04 06:59 AM

the one inch punch IS for fighting.

wing chun is all about close quarters, as in youre punches are sometimes only a few inches from your opponent, so developing something like the one inch punch is necessary. which is why it is one of the first techniques taught.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/11/04 01:16 PM

the one inch punch should be more a demonstration of your short range power then it should be anything else. A person with good "inch power" will be able to put it behind all their techniques, not just a punch. Furthermore true "inch power" is internal and must be traind as such in order to build it enough to make it a real tool for fighting.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/12/04 08:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DunDunna:
the one inch punch IS for fighting.

wing chun is all about close quarters, as in youre punches are sometimes only a few inches from your opponent, so developing something like the one inch punch is necessary. which is why it is one of the first techniques taught.
[/QUOTE]

Do you guys fight in closets or sumin?

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/13/04 03:43 AM

why dont you do a bit of research on it before you make some smart assed remarks.

this is the problem with children.

Re: One Inch Punch - 12/14/04 04:27 PM

Well Bruce Lee did not invent the 1 inch punch anymore then the art of Dim Mak.The short range punch was developed by the South Mantis Fist practitioners (Shaolin) which is used in wing chung,Leopard KF,most long fist styles of KF,Goju Ryu Uechi Ryu(based on the style of South Mantis Fist). It was one of the deadliest types of in fighting ever developed, so deadly in fact the Chinese Govt tried to have anyone that practiced the art eliminated.The thing is most MA are tied to 1 beginning . The great thing is we (the keepers of MA) to continue to develop and learn new things to add to this long and wonderful history [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Uechi dude (edited 12-14-2004).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/18/05 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Raven:Does anybody know the one inch punch technique... Brue Lee only used some of it. But he was spying on senior students, apparently. The one inch punch is similar to a punch in tai chi. Its not just about the knuckels or about the shoulders or just about the knees or back.. but it combines all.. and utilises all of the body to create a whipping motion.. Just experiment Its not as hard as it is made out to be.. learn about chi a little and you can make the most simpelist motions into "special strikes".. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/18/05 01:51 PM

Chi Key,108,Lokkan Do and many others are correct. There are many types of Fa Jin in the internal arts, this type of blow is just one of them. It does not start from the knuckles or shoulder. This whip and twisting motion is generated from the waist, breath and body.

[This message has been edited by wax off (edited 02-18-2005).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/18/05 02:02 PM

Bruce this and Bruce that...

Take it from a JKD guy, the technique is garbage and most likely will get you hurt or worse when you try to use it on some punk and it doesnt work.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/18/05 02:15 PM

Chen Zen - Yes, I agree that Bruce's punch is not one to rely on. However, there is a true one inch blow that many of us have discribe.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/18/05 03:30 PM

Wait to you see what I've been able to do with this demonstraition technique, it's intense!

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 06:07 AM

Somebodies gonna have to knock me on my duff with the one inch punch before I believe it has any significant power at all.

Funny how spectacular techniques are so mysterious, and only a very few people can do these things. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 06:54 AM

I train the one inch punch on the heavy bag as well as the makiwara, and I feel that *properly executed* it has decent power.

Cool demo, but wouldn't dream of using it in a SD situation.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 10:47 AM

I understand the skepticism in the belief of the one inch power punch. First of all it is not Bruce Lee's Hollywood punch, as Chen Zen said, that is garbage. This true inch power punch, is a simple blow that incorporates the whole body without having to pull your arm back to throw a punch. Of course there is a little more to that, but many can execute this punch in many more ways than a straight punch. It is not a big mystery and secret to be able to use your whole body as one fist.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 11:09 AM

Some of you guys aren’t getting it. The one inch punch isn’t a fighting technique. Although it may have specific applications on the street, that is not its true nature. The one inch punch is a demonstration of power, technique, and delivery. I would agree the one inch punch has a very limited street application (though I have and do use it when training with people), but the power you learn to generate and explode through your hand is VERY applicable on the street, in the ring, or wherever. If someone can knock you into a wall at one inch, what do you think they can do at six inches? How about a foot? Get the idea? It’s not a real strike it’s a show of proper body mechanics and internal power. It’s the snapping power, the acceleration……Those of you that are still skeptical have to experience it to believe it.

"It is not a big mystery and secret to be able to use your whole body as one fist."

i agree.... and its not a secret, it's a developed skill.

"Somebodies gonna have to knock me on my duff with the one inch punch before I believe it has any significant power at all."

Be careful what you wish for……

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 11:19 AM

It seems like more of a push than a punch to me, absorbing much of the impact itself. Proper body mechanics are all good but the punch does little real damge and at that close why not take the joint lock/break or takedown? Everyone wants to be Hollywood and thats all good, but you can fight pretty and and still be effective. This isnt one of those situations.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/19/05 01:37 PM

Close southern style fighting is not pretty, it is close, fast, and effective. It seems that you guys are still hung up on the inch blow and are missing the internal power behind it. Which allows a practitioner to manipulate his opponent at a very close distant. I ask this of everyone, does your style allow you to manipulate your opponent with one hand behind your back?

Some may say it looks like a push, what is the concern of how it looks, if you can manipulate your opponent. It is not that easy to control an explosive push as well as a punch.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/20/05 09:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
It seems like more of a push than a punch to me, absorbing much of the impact itself. Proper body mechanics are all good but the punch does little real damge and at that close why not take the joint lock/break or takedown?
As I understnd it from my attempts to use it and from reading reference material, it is not a technique to use in an actual confrontation. Like many other things, it is a drill to practice to help you develop the mechanics to execute power at short ranges. You do not deliver the punch as defined in the book in an actual situation any more than you would deliver a punch from a horse stance in an actual fight. Everyone of us has practiced punching from a horse stance but would never deliver one that way in an actual fight. Use the technique to develop short range power, then modify its delivery so that it fits your fightng style.
I have seen the technique displayed by Dan Inosanto casually from a seated position during an interview and it still packed good power. It has helped my to increase my short range striking power. I do not know if I would advocate for others to run out and learn it, but,like any other tool, it has its benefits and its short comings.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/21/05 09:31 AM

The one inch punch.

Well this was an interesting read.The one inch punch, an efective one, that is ,comes from the release of jing from and to a specific target. It can be transferred to an opponent throught the shoulder, fist, butt, fom anywhere to anywhere. It can most certainly be done from one inch or from contact.
Regarding its applicability in a fight. Imagine being able to "hit " an opponent as with any part of your body at the moment he she makes contact with you.
To comprehend Jing one needs to understand the difference between it and Li.
"Li is said to derive from the bones and muscles. Jing comes from the tendons, and is supported by Chi which is generated either in the tan dien or the local area."
"li has shape, while Jing has no shape or form'"....with Li the muscles of the arms and shoulders tend to be the source of energy, and this is more easily seen'"
"li is square Jing is round."...Square in Chinese philosopy means clumsy,stiff, stubborn and straightforward...round implies smooth, flexible,aliveand tricky."
All quotes taken from "Advanced Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan, Volume 1 TAi CHi theory and Tai Chi Jing. Dr Yang Jwing-Ming
It seems to me that with the exception of a few TAi Chi Players out there very few of the posters have any idea what they are talking about.
For the record I have experienced the effects of many types of Jing and I assure you that they work, are real, and are potentially devestating.
Unfortuntly an understanding of Jing...or any other internal art that relies on the understanding of Tenacious energy as opposed to force. That is, to restate, an understanding of the tendons as opposed to the muscles. "Tenacious energy is soft, elastic,active, force is hard inelastic,dead....that part of your body from your foot to your waist ahould be treated as one unit so as to concentrate energy." Cheng Man Ching. TAi Chi The supreme ultimate. 1950
To summerize the one inch punch is real!Anyone who doesnt think it is or that it has has no value as self defence does not understand the underlying theory of the one inch punch or more importantly Jing and therefore should spend more time reasearching internals as they will help with external studies.
From hard to soft and from hard to soft.
Kempai

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/21/05 09:47 AM

Chen Zen, with all due respect have you ever trained with a real Tai Chi Player. If you had you would not say that the one inch punch is garbage.
It is used out of context without proper understanding.
Of course Bruce Lee called it a stunt, so did my instructor in Taiwan. So did his instructor. Strangely enough, my instructor could send me flying accros a room with no discernable movement on his part. One of his hands on my chest, either with palm or fist.
The reason, only from my experience, that asians refer to these types of techniques as stunts is because there is no mystery to them. Anyone can learn these techniques if they are willing to shed their egos and invest in loss.
The Asian Ma I had the pleasure and priviledge to study with while in Taiwan all made light of these so called Mystical techniques. What I mean is they laughed and told me to keep practcing.
My coach in Taiwan said to me every day..little by little day by day as a means of explaining the training...you know what, after 2 years full time, hours every day, training one on one with a man who knew his stuff I was able to demonstrate a reasonably effective one inch punch. we however called it transmission of Jing

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/21/05 09:54 AM

Chen Zen. Bruce Lee did not develop the one inch punch. Thats ridiculous. We are discussing a concept of the internal arts, a building bloke of the theory of all Martial Arts not a technique.
You want me to believe that Bruce Lee in what, the seventies, came up with the concept of Jing Transmisssion. Are you sure it wasnt Chang san Feng, or maybe Yang cheng Fu, perhaps some occidental martial artist of antiquity came up wit it.
My studies of MA lead me to believe that the concept, techniques and theory of the one inch punch has been around for, since oh 1279.
Bruce wasnt that old was he.
Excuse the sarcasm here Chen Zen you generally appear to know what your talking about and I have enjoyed your other posts and replies but this one..... Kempai

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/21/05 10:00 AM

Damn, if your reading the posts that one line should read from hard to soft and from soft to hard.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/22/05 12:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yushimike:
Chen Zen. Bruce Lee did not develop the one inch punch. Thats ridiculous. We are discussing a concept of the internal arts, a building bloke of the theory of all Martial Arts not a technique.
You want me to believe that Bruce Lee in what, the seventies, came up with the concept of Jing Transmisssion. Are you sure it wasnt Chang san Feng, or maybe Yang cheng Fu, perhaps some occidental martial artist of antiquity came up wit it.
My studies of MA lead me to believe that the concept, techniques and theory of the one inch punch has been around for, since oh 1279.
Bruce wasnt that old was he.
Excuse the sarcasm here Chen Zen you generally appear to know what your talking about and I have enjoyed your other posts and replies but this one..... Kempai
[/QUOTE]

If you could, please, find one post where I said Bruce Lee developed jing transmission or the one inch punch technique. What I did say was that the one that him and James Demill "developed" was garbage and was dropped from JKD curriculum. The idea that people see it as a combat weapon because of Bruce and James is ridiculous too.

Thats about all Ive said about it.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/22/05 06:20 AM

Thanks Mike! for the well thought out post regarding Jing. I know it is not an easy task to explain. Yes, one needs to understand to be able to release Jing, it starts with softness and not strenght.

Mike, I would also like to say that I have been practicing Tai Chi and Bak Mei for many years and Bak Mei also uses Fa Jing.

[This message has been edited by wax off (edited 02-22-2005).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/22/05 08:39 AM

Chen Zen,
perhaps your wording needs a little work." Bruce Lee developed the 1,2 and 6 inch punch with James Demille." This to me suggests that it did not exist before he developed it.
"take it from a GKD guy this technique is garbage....."
Everyone wants to be hollywood and thats all good..."
Perhaps before slagging the technique you could have drawn a distinction between the hollywood garbage punch that you are talking about and the underlying theory of the 1 inch punch which is Jin transmission.
Even if we take Jin out of the one inch punch and rely exclusively on Li you seem to be suggesting that it is useless. Are you telling me you couldnt break a guys nose from one inch away? or hit their solar plexus hard enough to stop them. If you think you could do these things then a one inch punch is no longer garbage is it?
What you state in your reply to the issues I raised of you is a bunch of backpeddling.
"What I did say, was that the one that him and James "developed "was garbage..."the idea that people see it as a combat weapon because of bruce and james is ridiculous."
I dont recall anyone suggesting that the one inch punch was a combat technique because bruce lee developed it.
It seems to me that you believe the one inch punch to be ineffective. Ok fair enough. Next time maybe you could be a little clearer regarding what you are actually talking about. A one inch punch is garbage....only the one inch punch developed by bruce lee is garbage.A one inch punch with jin is not garbage, a one inch punch thrown with li is garbage??a one inch punch in a combat situation is garbage?
You are correct however to point out that Bruce Lee did not develop Jing just as he did not develop the one inch punch.
Kempai

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/22/05 07:22 PM

Perhaps I should take more time with my posts, but I do a lot of posting. And even more reading. Its my responsibility as a moderator to go over numerous posts and make sure everyones playing by the rules.

The one inch punch that is now being reffered to as "Jin" still isnt that much of a combat tool, in my eyes. There are better options outthere, I think. Sure I could break a nose or hit the sternum, but with how much power? Power isnt everything but you do have to have it. Ive had my breathe knocked out and had my nose broken, and Ive been through worse. The point is that with options such as take downs, locks,and throws at the distance then why use just a simple punch that may or may not have the proper effect? I dont take a lot of risks when it comes to fighting. The results of a one inch punch vary too much for my liking when a takedown or throw has much more probability of being effective.

Re: One Inch Punch - 02/22/05 11:16 PM

The worst limitation a person can possess....
is one that he places upon himself.

[This message has been edited by wax off (edited 02-23-2005).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 03/02/05 12:52 AM

VjGDF9

Re: One Inch Punch - 03/02/05 01:49 AM

Perhaps there are better options than the one inch punch, but i feel that it is the simplest and fastest. if my hand is already clenched in a fist, and already close to an opponent (not necesarily an inch), i don't see why i should choose a lock or any other move for that matter over a simple and fast punch.

Re: One Inch Punch - 03/03/05 01:57 AM

can someone tell me where i can see videos of bruce doing this manouever and the guy flying ten or fifteen feet backwards?

Re: One Inch Punch - 03/31/05 11:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bb5:
can someone tell me where i can see videos of bruce doing this manouever and the guy flying ten or fifteen feet backwards?[/QUOTE]

I have a windows media file of the punch being executed by bruce it is 1.65mb though. I believe it is also on the bruce lee "jeet kune do" video.
I also have smaller files of about 150 KB
of one inch breaks being demonstrated. They not only are done with a vertical fist as in jkd and wing chun but also with the fist turning over as in karate and tkd. I used to
have them on line at boxingscene.com where they could be downloaded but due to hotlinking they had to be removed. The breaks are performed on rebreakable black martial arts boards rated 2.25 one inch pine boards.

The breaks demonstrated are both with the fist striking up and striking down. Striking down is employed using a sine wave technique
whose roots are from the ITF of TKD. These strikes or breaks are very effective at close range. They are not push punches but are executed with power and can break bones.

[This message has been edited by rikd (edited 04-01-2005).]

Re: One Inch Punch - 04/01/05 12:11 AM

doesn't anybody have a video I could click?

Re: One Inch Punch - 04/01/05 12:23 AM

umm noone here got any downloads clients ???

just search in them and you find alot, try emule, edonkey, even kazaa if you can find it still [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/tongue.gif[/IMG], DC++, etc.. etc..

I had alot of clips with bruce before my drive crashed

Re: One Inch Punch - 04/14/05 10:03 PM

I would like to change my position and clarify the "one inch" punch.
I had originally said that Bruce's 1nch punch is a basic WC punch. I did some research.. no its not 100%.

I had learned for my teachers the basic WC punch. WC punch are mostly the same.. but they differ slightly. The punch Bruce used, we call the Bow and arrow punch. It can be done from 1 inch away.. but thats only for show. Its used allot in more adv. WC tech. I was privileged with getting punched in the face a couple times with it.

JMO its not very useful to practice punching from such a short distance.. you end up just pushing really hard. I have seen it used at a longer distance and its pretty strong if you use it correctly. From what I understand it can be used as a “long fist” tech. I don't know how Bruce adapted it to JKD. I looks 100% the same in the video of Bruce punching.. so I would assume its the same punch.