What does everyone think of hapkido?

Posted by: dawgzog

What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/09/03 05:32 PM

What do you think of hapkido? Is it better than akido?
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/09/03 05:54 PM

The question is,WHat do you think about hapkido?It Does'nt matter what anyone else thinks,It's what you think,& if you like it,More power to ya. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/09/03 08:01 PM

Please remember, it's not the art so much as how it's trained that matters. Train with a cooperative (after a certain point) partner who's compliant and you're not training realistically. All too often, this is how it's done in "Eastern" martial arts styles (with the exception of judo). Hapkido and aikido BOTH train very unrealistically so, in my opinion, I don't see those arts as being very relevent for the street.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 06-09-2003).]
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 06:55 AM

Yawn. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Hap-py Matt

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 07:08 AM

Well, I don't know about unrealistically!!! I train in HKD here in Korea and I've never been thrown, never fallen, never been kicked so much in my life. I think that this is what makes a good art though. If you train dry all the time you never know what it feels like. Of course we do it all safely (ie breakfalling from white belt and contact sparring with body protection on).

What can I say, I just love this art (and I have studies various arts on and off for 20 years). [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Can't wait till the next instalment!!!
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 09:17 AM

In some ways I agree with John. I've tried Aikido and felt that for me, It was too cooperative and I was lacking confidence as to it's effectiveness. If Hapkido training is also cooperative in that way you may feel the same lack of confidence. Remember that is only in my head though (the lack of confidence). If you feel it works and you are confident enough to put out 100% effort if ever needed to, it may be good for you. I train in Judo for that reason...once we learn a techninque and practice it cooperatively, you get to try throwing someone who definitely is trying not to get thrown. In that type of training you really can see what your stronger and weaker throws are.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 10:29 AM

Dawgzog,

I like hapkido. In the 1980's I studied hapkido in a suburb of Atlanta. About 5 years ago I began studying with another hapkido class. One of the things that is common to both these classes is that there was equal emphasis on the striking realm and the grappling realm. Most arts seem to either concentrate on striking with only a little grappling or concentrate on grappling with only a little striking. The equal emphasis is one of the reasons I chose hapkido. Another reason I like it is that we do not do forms. I had been to a lot of karate and tae kwon do schools and I always hated doing forms.

Is it better than aikido? From what perspective do you mean that? I admit I have a lot of problems with aikido but I can also see that there is something of value within it.

I don't know what kind of hapkido class JKogas has seen but we are never cooperative in the manner you will see in an aikido class. In hapkido when beginners are first learning joint locks their training partners are somewhat non-resistant. As the student gets more practise instructors make sure progressively more resistance is added. I should point out that I think JKogas was refering particularly to joint locks when he mentioned cooperative training partners. No one in our class "cooperates" when getting punched or kicked.

As far as what you will be taught in hapkido:

Striking with hand, elbow, knee, and foot(as well as headbutts); avoiding and blocking such strikes

Grappling: throws, takedowns, groundwork(wrestling), joint locks

And, various other things that go along with all this.

I've dabbled in a lot of arts but hapkido is the one I always come back to.
Posted by: ninja-raiden

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 03:44 PM

I can't stand hapkido. I took it for a couple months until I had finally had enough of it, and here are the reasons why I don't like it.

I didn't like the way it was mostly just defenses against a punch, lapel grab, etc. Whenever I would try these with sparring partners, it just wouldn't work. While they threw a punch, I would be so busy trying to block it and then put them into a submission hold, that I wouldn't even see the next punch coming.

I don't like HKD, but maybe it's just me.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 09:53 PM

Sometimes I think when an observer goes into a dojo and sees "cooperative ukes" they are really witnessing people learning new moves and going through the motions very slowly.

Most people, if they learnt to punch or do an armbar at full pace first, without correct timing or motion, would never learn to do it properly.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but can you imagine a boxer being made to go at it, in their fist lesson, without learing about correct hip movement and guarding/parrying straight punches?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/10/03 10:48 PM

learning joint locks&grappling in slower motion or with cooperative partners is also for safety reasons. Most of the joint locks if done at full speed with a little "snap" to them will break bones, dislocate joints, tear ligaments & tendons. As my teacher says,"if you break all your toys, you have nothing left to play with."
To everyone who says any art sucks because they can't do it-the fault is you, not the quality of the art.
Posted by: Hap-py Matt

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/11/03 12:52 AM

ninja-raiden wrote:

I can't stand hapkido. I took it for a couple months until I had finally had enough of it, and here are the reasons why I don't like it.
I didn't like the way it was mostly just defenses against a punch, lapel grab, etc. Whenever I would try these with sparring partners, it just wouldn't work. While they threw a punch, I would be so busy trying to block it and then put them into a submission hold, that I wouldn't even see the next punch coming.

I don't like HKD, but maybe it's just me.

I don't know about you, but a couple of months, in any MA, of doing anything is a tiny amount of time. I takes years to master timing and sparring in any style! Besides HKD has not only defensive locking and grappling, but also, in the higher belts, offensive stuff.

Anyway, I agree with those that have said that you don't have to like it...if you don't just go chose something you do like!

I didn't like Aikido (because I thought it seemed vague), so I went over to HKD, which works for me.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 06/15/03 10:27 AM

aikido, and hapkido both come from daito ryu aiki jujutsu...they are probably more alike than most want to admit. but hapkido also incorporates strikes and kicks from other korean arts like tang soo do taekwondo, and tae kyon.
infact the original hapkido taught by yong shul choi actually was daito ryu. it has changed and grown since then into a unique art. but the basic principles are the same in both arts. but i think hapkido is better personally as its a more complete system in some ways. basically i think hapkido would work better for me.

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 02:51 PM

Hapkido should never be used with grappling. This is because, the ultimate form of hapkido is to not touch the person with the palm of your hand. Now granted you dont even start learning how to do this until you have been training a decade.
Aikido is a much newer form of martial arts. This being stated, it is no less a martial art then any other. How great a martial art is depends on the person and the teacher.
If you come to a martial art wanting to learn how to smack someone around, then you can only learn so much. The physical aspect of any asian martial art is only half of the training. And no i'm not saying that martial arts is all about non-violence. Most martial arts in the world are about training for battle. However there is a great deal more to defeating someone then just getting them unconscious.
Any hapkido gym that doesn't throw their students is doing a grave injustice to their students. Also any martial arts gym that won't ever go full contact full speed and full power is doing a grave injustice to their students. However, don't think that in your first year of training you will be able to go full contact full speed and full power. I was training 3 years before I really started going full on. The reason for this is simple. Most americans are not in proper condition to take a punch to the head, have fingers broken in the middle of a fight and "deal with it," and most first and second year martial artists lack the control over their bodies to make sure they don't really hurt the other person.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 04:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sated:
Hapkido should never be used with grappling. This is because, the ultimate form of hapkido is to not touch the person with the palm of your hand. Now granted you dont even start learning how to do this until you have been training a decade.
Aikido is a much newer form of martial arts. This being stated, it is no less a martial art then any other. How great a martial art is depends on the person and the teacher.
If you come to a martial art wanting to learn how to smack someone around, then you can only learn so much. The physical aspect of any asian martial art is only half of the training. And no i'm not saying that martial arts is all about non-violence. Most martial arts in the world are about training for battle. However there is a great deal more to defeating someone then just getting them unconscious.
Any hapkido gym that doesn't throw their students is doing a grave injustice to their students. Also any martial arts gym that won't ever go full contact full speed and full power is doing a grave injustice to their students. However, don't think that in your first year of training you will be able to go full contact full speed and full power. I was training 3 years before I really started going full on. The reason for this is simple. Most americans are not in proper condition to take a punch to the head, have fingers broken in the middle of a fight and "deal with it," and most first and second year martial artists lack the control over their bodies to make sure they don't really hurt the other person.
[/QUOTE]

Could you explain that first paragraph? I did not understand what you were talking about concerning the palm.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 04:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
Sometimes I think when an observer goes into a dojo and sees "cooperative ukes" they are really witnessing people learning new moves and going through the motions very slowly.

Most people, if they learnt to punch or do an armbar at full pace first, without correct timing or motion, would never learn to do it properly.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but can you imagine a boxer being made to go at it, in their fist lesson, without learing about correct hip movement and guarding/parrying straight punches?
[/QUOTE]

Unlike with boxing, I have NEVER seen anyone of ANY rank going at it hard in Hapkido, like they do in boxing.

These hapkido red and black belts should be tearing it up in there, as you'd see WHITE BELTS doing in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. What the difference? A joint lock is a joint lock, is a joint lock.

-John

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 04:17 PM

Hapkido was developed to serve the noble class. At the highest levels of hapkido the person shouldn't touch his attacker with the palm of his hand. That is why grappling and traditional hapkido cannot be taught together. Hapkido is about grace and technique.

I have gone full on with hapkido. It is rare to see since normally hapkido full on is just incorporated into a sparring fight. However, at full speed it probably looks like a cross between two spinning people and a cat fight. Its alot of fun at full speed but dangerous because if you don't think you have a proper lock you will just push harder and that can get painful.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 04:39 PM

History

Hapkido history is rather confused, but Korean sources attribute it to two Koreans, Choi Yong Sul and Ji Han Jae. According to them, Choi was sent to Japan at a young age and worked as a houseboy for the Daito-ryu Aikijutsu master Takeda Sokaku (Morihei Ueshiba, a famous student of Takeda, went on to found Aikido). However, TakedaSokaku's son Tokimune never knew such a Korean disciple.

On his return to Korea, Choi began to teach martial arts. One of his students, Ji Han Jae, claims that he incorporated traditional Korean kicking and punching techniques (from taekyon and hwarangdo) and gave the resulting synthesis the name Hapkido in 1959. Hapkido is the Korean pronunciation of Aikido and Choi Yong Sul opposed the name under which Ueshiba's martial art existed in Japan.

Korean sources often claim that Hapkido was influenced by supposed Korean indigenous martial arts and some even deny the Aikijujutsu connection. Korean people tried to wipe out Japanese influence in Korea. Korean tendency to deny Japanese origins comes from History of Korea.

Techniques

On the "hard-soft" scale of martial arts, Hapkido stands somewhere in the middle, employing "soft" techniques similar to Aikido and "hard" techniques reminiscent of Taekwondo. Even the "hard" techniques, though, emphasise circular rather than linear movements. Hapkido is an eclectic martial art, and different hapkido schools emphasise different techniques. However, some core techniques are found in each school (gwan ), and all techniques should follow the three principles of Hapkido:

* fluid motion
* circular motion
* harmony in motion.

[edit]

Core techniques

These consist of throws and locks derived largely from Aikijutsu. They are similar to aikido techniques, but in general the circles are smaller. Most techniques work by a combination of unbalancing the attacker and applying pressure to specific places on the body, known as hyul.
[edit]

Yudo

Yudo (Judo in Japanese) techniques are throws applied at closer range than the core techniques. The techniques differ somewhat because of the smaller circles applied to combat, and because of the types of application that are practiced in Hapkido.
[edit]

Kicking

The wide variety of kicks in Hapkido differentiate it from Aikido and make it distinctly Korean. In general they are similar to Taekwondo kicks, though again circular motion is emphasised. Some varieties of Hapkido only use kicks to the lower body, but traditional Hapkido also includes high kicks and jumping kicks. The kicks in hapkido are more extensive than in most other Korean arts, including very specialized kicks for all occasions.
[edit]

Hand strikes

Like most martial arts, hapkido employs a large number of punches and other hand strikes. A distinctive example of Hapkido hand techniques is "live hand" strike,that focuses energy to the baek hwa hyul in the hand, producing energy strikes and internal strikes.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: What does everyone think of hapkido? - 07/06/04 04:41 PM

Hapkido was founded in 1959, what "noble class" existed in korea at the time?