Choosing a style.

Posted by: newguy

Choosing a style. - 05/27/03 01:25 AM

I have always liked martial arts and wanted to learn one or more. I am 19 and just got hired as a corrections officer and I plan on staying with this job until I retire. So now that I have the time I would like to start training in one. I was wondering if there is one that will be easier to learn and will help me to learn all basics so that I can move on to another one eventually.I have looked up some that interest me but i dont want to jump in the deep end to quick and get tired or fustrated and end up quitting. the ones I chose were pa qua, Hwarang-do, or hsing.they all seemed like the kind of art I would like to learn but i just want to know if they will be to much for me being a newb an all. Any advice is appreciated.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Choosing a style. - 05/27/03 01:48 AM

What's your work environment like?

Go with one that suits, but most importantly get a good sensei.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Choosing a style. - 05/27/03 02:07 AM

Everyone, including martial arts teachers, were newbies at one time or another.Good teachers understand this and would begin your training at the appropriate level.So none of the arts would be to much for you.
As for which one to choose, do some research.visit the schools, talk with the teachers,students, then make a decision based on what you decide fits your needs.
Posted by: Ender

Re: Choosing a style. - 05/27/03 07:21 AM

I also suggest spending a few hours in a local library, and read up on a few arts, and at least flip through one book of every art they have there. its VERy useful, I know from experience.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Choosing a style. - 05/27/03 02:08 PM

As everyone else already mentioned, do your homework. Research what you can and see what seems best suited for you. One that you may wish to consider is Ving Tsun (Wing Chun). If there are any good schools in your area I would suggest that you check them out and see if your interested. The reason I suggest Ving Tsun is that it is fairly simple by design (not easy or ineffective though). As with any system, it would take a lifetime to truly master the techniques. The simplicity of the principles, however, allow you to take what you learn and apply them almost immediately. The techniques are not extremely intricate, so you may be able to move along faster while learning a lot. The complexity of other systems may take longer to learn. Considering you're just beginning your training, Ving Tsun may be good to start due to its efficiency. Of course, most importantly, do what interests you and find a good school.
Posted by: Corruptor

Re: Choosing a style. - 05/28/03 05:46 PM

I agree with all the others and would say that when you are checking out different classes to see which one suits you, make sure you find out the essentials.

1)Find out what grade the instructor is
2)Find out who his instructor is
3)Ask to see his certificate
4)Find out if he or she has any first aid training, even if it is basic training
5)Ask the instructor if they have any leaflets they can give you
6)And the more obvious things like how much it costs, is the class big etc.

This is what an article in the martial arts magazine said you should ask.

Good Luck anyway hope you find the right martial art for you.

Corruptor