UFC , Cool right?

Posted by: Anonymous

UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 08:09 PM

I love the ufc, because it is no rules fighting. It takes every style and puts them together. I think it should replace all wwf wrestling on television. That would definetley get people into the combat sports. It is basically like a controlled street fight. Anybody know where you go to fight in an amatuer league like the ufc? preferably in houston? Anyway tell me what you guys think of the ufc.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 08:20 PM

UFC is not exactly "no rules" but a limited rules arena. I would love for it to replace the "professional wrestling" but I doubt that will happen, the UFC would have to turn to drama and storytelling like the WWE to keep a decent number of viewers.

Don't know about UFC opportunities in Houston, not being from there. Try looking for MMA schools or go to any competitions you find and talk to people.

Good luck in your training.

Joel
Posted by: JKogas

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 08:57 PM

The UFC, Pride and every other MMA event is GREAT fun! It's good to see well trained and conditioned athletes finding a place to express themselves and continue to compete. Many of the fighters were former college wrestlers who after having graduated would normally have had to end their careers. This is just another way for them to continue to compete.

It's a great event and I believe it's great for martial arts.

-John

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 09:03 PM

That's entertainment. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Real MA is boring, repetitious and a lot of hard work, for no apparent gain. Nobody wants to do real MA anymore. They all want to become entertainers - for people with your prediliction.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 11:27 PM

i'm here in dallas, and we have some amatuer venues for mma's, like dallas fight night and what not, so i would assume a big city like houston would have 'em too. just find a mma gym and they'll definately know. btw, in regards to wrestlers having limited options after college, anybody hear about the new tv show with real freestyle wrestling. kind of a wwe thing only real wrestling, and no storylines. it's gonna be on PAX i believe. i've got my fingers crossed.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 11:43 PM

Earlier post from KOBRA KAI

[(anybody hear about the new tv show with real freestyle wrestling. kind of a wwe thing only real wrestling)]

What is freestyle wrestling? Is it different from olympic wrestling? Or is it like wrestling with punching?

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 11:53 PM

i might be calling it the wrong thing, its the not-greco-roman wrestling.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/07/05 11:56 PM

Freestyle and Greco-Roman differ in what holds are permitted; in Greco-Roman, the wrestlers are permitted to hold and attack only above the waist. In both Greco-Roman and freestyle, points can be scored the following ways, with analogs in folkstyle and collegiate:

* Takedowns: Gaining control over your opponent from a neutral position.
* Reversals: Gaining control over your opponent from a defensive position.
* Escapes: Escaping your opponents' control. (The escape point is no longer awarded in the international styles.)
* Exposure: Exposing your opponent's back to the mat.
* Lifting: Successfully Lifting an opponent in the defensive position and exposing his back. (The lift point is no longer awarded under the rules changes adopted for the international styles in 2004-2005. Lifting has never been rewarded in folkstyle or collegiate, and rules against locking hands on the mat interfere with its practicality.)
* Penalty Points: Various infractions (striking your opponent, acting with brutality or intent to injure, using illegal holds, etc). (Under the 2004-2005 changes to the international styles, a wrestler whose opponent takes an injury time-out receives one point unless the injured wrestler is bleeding.)

A match can be won in the following ways:

* Win by Fall: A fall, also known as a pin, occurs when one wrestler holds both his opponents' shoulders on the mat simultaneously.
* Win by Technical Fall: If one wrestler gains a ten-point lead over his opponent at any point, the match is declared over and he is the winner. (In folkstyle and collegiate wrestling, a technical fall occurs when one wrestler gains a fifteen point lead.)
* Win by Decision: If neither wrestler achieves a fall or technical fall, the wrestler who has gained more points during the match is declared the winner. If the wrestlers have gained the same number of points, a panel of judges internationally or the single referee in folkstyle and collegiate wrestling decides the winner based on aggressiveness and effectiveness.
* Win By Major Decision: In folkstyle and collegiate wrestling, a decision in which the winner outscores his opponent by eight or more points is a "major decision" and is rewarded with an additional team point.
* Win by TKO: TKO stands for Technical Knock Out; if one wrestler is knocked out and unable to wrestle, the other wrestler is declared the winner. This is officially referred to variously as WBI (win by injury), medical forfeit or injury default in the international styles and folkstyle, in which knockouts are not encouraged and are treated as accidental. The term also encompasses situations where wrestlers become injured, take too many injury time-outs or cannot stop bleeding.
-Wikipedia dictionary

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:02 AM

Cool, that would be nice to replace real wrestling with fake. I always thought that was stupid, maybe one day we can fully rid ourselves of it. Here it is---------

Rules 1 - Overview of RPW Rules

This is the first article in a series designed to educate a newbie to the great sport of wrestling as is practiced by RealProWrestling. It will also answer veteran fans’ questions regarding our rules so they can not only enjoy the great action, but understand everything they see.

The first thing to understand about wrestling is the main objective. That objective is to defeat your opponent by pinning his shoulders to the ground. Of course your opponent is trying to do the same to you.

RPW wrestling matches are six minutes long divided into two periods of three minutes each. As soon as one of the wrestlers is pinned, a fall is declared and the match ends immediately. For novice wrestlers, the majority of their matches end in pins. As the wrestlers get experienced, their defense improves and pins become much less frequent.

Since matches can go the whole six minutes without a pin, a point system is used to determine which wrestler did a better job dominating his opponent. Different points are awarded at various stages as one forces or tricks his opponent closer to the pin. These stages can be divided into the following categories.

The first stage to dominating an opponent is to get a takedown. At the start of the match, both wrestlers begin standing on their feet facing each other. If one can take his opponent down to the mat and get on top and behind him the referee will declare a takedown. A basic takedown is worth two points.

The second stage in dominating an opponent is to turn his back towards the mat. Whenever a wrestler’s back breaks a 90 degree angle with the mat, the referee declares it a turn. This can get confusing when both wrestlers expose their backs at the same time. The referee will only give points to the wrestler who caused the turn, although sometimes both wrestlers do something to expose their opponent’s back at the same time and both are awarded.

A wrestler can also score points by escaping the dominant control of his opponent. For an escape, which is worth one point, a wrestler who has been taken down must get back to his feet, get free of the control of his opponent, and face him.

A wrestler can also score points by reversing the dominant control of his opponent. For a reversal, which is worth two points, a wrestler who has been taken down must get out from under his opponent, get his opponent under him and on the mat.

So in summary, at the start of the match, both wrestlers try to get a takedown on each other. Once a takedown occurs, the top wrestler tries to turn the bottom wrestler and the bottom wrestler tries to escape or get a reversal. If the top wrestler can turn the bottom wrestler, he then tries to get the fall by pinning his shoulders to the ground.

In the coming weeks, we will continue exploring the details of scoring and other situations that arise in a wrestling match. But for now, at least you have a good grasp of the basic rules of wrestling.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:14 AM

yea, that's it, RPW. i have high hopes, but i also had high hopes for the WNBA...

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:26 AM

UFC is alright. I perfer Pride, personally. Better production value, deeper talent pool, exciting matchups, good commentating, and a great Japanese crowd that doesnt boo everytime a fight goes to the ground, the Japanese really know a lot about MMA and respect it. I really wish the UFC and Pride would come together somehow, it would really put MMA on the map, probably wont happen but I'd love to see some Pride and UFC matchups.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:39 AM

CLP, it has already happened.

I believe Liddel fought someone in Pride.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:42 AM

Do a google search & you'll find that the ufc has 31 rules,& the majority of what is not allowed in the ufc fighting,Is,Or can be used for self defense such as hair pulling, biting, etc...

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 01:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekogami13 V2.0:
CLP, it has already happened.

I believe Liddel fought someone in Pride.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Liddel fought Quinton Jackson. Plenty of Pride guys have been sent over to the UFC to fight and vice versa, but im talking about coming up with a whole new show/organization of some sort to give recognition to MMA, it would be great with the kind of money that Pride FC has, it could be a big thing and it would be really nice to see some matchups... Fedor vs Arlovski, Aleksander vs Sylvia, Couture vs Silva, Cro cop vs Arlovksi, etc...im getting excited just thinking about it.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 02:50 AM

I don't like the UFC as much because you got every single little 17 year old wannabe claiming its the ultimate in realism and fighting, and that traditional styles are useless. The fact is it is still a sport, and hardly any martial artist of respectable caliber (remember, a martial artist is more than a fighter) would ever consider joining the UFC, save a very rare few. There is still rules, months of training and studying before the actual fight that go into it, which IMO takes alot of the realism out of it, because fights happen randomly in real life. These guys are straight up brawlers, people who live only for fighting, and the glory and fame that comes from it (money). People ask, why don't certain traditionalists go out there and fight in the ring then? Obviously, you can't kill anyone, and secondly, it is still a controlle situation. Nevertheless, I still enjoy it, what guy doesn't like fighting?
Posted by: Khayman

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 05:50 AM

Personally I preferred the WWE back in the 80’s (as the WWF) it was good fun entertainment that you could let your kids watch, if you looked at the demographic in the audience there were hundreds of kids watching and it was marketed towards them, since the middle 90’s they changed their direction more towards an adult market with some of the more recent storylines being totally unacceptable for children.
At least with the UFC and Pride you know what your getting, good MMA action.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 06:43 AM

What is pride?

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 07:31 AM

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 07:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hockeyfighter:
What is pride?[/QUOTE]
http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=pride&btnG=Google-s%C3%B6kning&meta=

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 10:17 AM

Ever thought, if WWE style wrestling/fighting, was tidied up a bit.. it would be the "ultimate" martial art. 1, you learn how to move in harmony with your opponent, 2, your completely freestyle in all your movement and applications, almost identical to the Embu style of training developed in shaolin temples.3, there is contact from light to heavy, 4, multiple opponent defense 5, weapons defense : ) it just takes us to make it real.

And its not like wrestling is based off techniques that are fake... just some of them are showy and need to be weeded out. All the joint manipulations, takedowns, strikes, maiming techniques.

All ranges, angles, methods of attack are covered.

[This message has been edited by Sanchin (edited 04-08-2005).]

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 12:48 PM

I'm a big fan of WWE and those that have trained with the Heart family here in Alberta, Canada will tell you just how real it is. Yes it is flashy and there are ridiculous moves, story lines and what have you … but it is entertainment.

I would guarantee if any decided to go to the UFC they would do very well. I read an article from Ken Shamrock who had nothing but respect for these guys. Shamrock is a legend and he knows what he is talking about. Plus in the WWE you can make a whole lot of money if you are sellable. WWE is entertainment but the injuries of broken necks, backs, etc. are real. Plus these guys continue on while injured whereas in any other sport they would be put on an injured list. These guys are tough; don't take that away from them.

As for UFC and Pride, both excellent venues. I like them both evenly but Pride I think you have to be better conditioned as their fist round can be 10 minutes … which is 5 minutes longer then the UFC. I also like K-1 but I liked the older rules where they didn't go to the ground, this was far more entertaining. Now there is also King of the Cage (here in Edmonton, AB on Saturday, April 16), plus a variety of newer venues that are hoping to compete with the bigger venues.

It's all good to watch and learn.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 03:06 PM

I have followed Pridefc since they started and the pool of fighters is far superior to the UFC’s. The main reason being the money that they bring in. When you pull in 60,000 people in a single show compared to the limits of Vegas where you can get 12,000 to 15,000 at the MGM or Mandalay Bay there truly is no comparison. I mean hell I live here in Vegas and there just aren’t enough venues that can hold the proper amount of people.

A lot of you are talking about the rules situations between the different organizations and the UFC by far has the most which is fine the safety of the fighters should always come first. But Pridefc has the four point attacks on the ground and you can utilize your skills in a more aggressive manor.

Japanese Vale Tudo and Brazilian Vale Tudo I didn’t see anyone bring up. The bottom line is that those are the true only “No Rules Everything Goes” MMA competitions that are in the media spotlight that still go on. Sure there are people some where that run some small unheard of organization that allow “No Rules”.

The UFC, Pridefc, King of the Cage, Rage in the Cage and up front organizations like these need to have rules no matter what. It is the only way for them to keep on the path of making MMA in the regular public’s eye a true sport. Us MMA fighter’s and most of us that are educated in this stuff already know it is a sport. But for every one MMA fan, there is five other people out there that are saying we are just brutal caged animals that beat the hell out of each other and they will never see the true aspect of the sport.

Hopefully in due time over the next three to four years things will change and yes they have already started but it is gonna take a monster effort, but we should succeed. Young people should take notice that the UFC and Pridefc are like someone else posted already “Controlled Street Fights” very controlled, because in the street there is know BJM to stop the fight and everything and I do mean everything goes in a street fight.

I don’t know about everyone else but I have never in my life seen or herd of a street-fighting rulebook.

OCman….www.FrankMir.com

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 03:33 PM

I just wanted to add my perspective on this MMA debate.

There are a lot of traditional martial artists that are down on the UFC type events. I'd like to say that I try to be about as traditional as they come, and I really enjoy watching MMA fights.

As far a MMA fighters not being real martial artists - I guess that's debatable. Is a boxer a martial artist? Nobody seems to be ripping on boxers for doing it for the money and being entertainers. I suppose the reason no one tries to compare boxers to real martial artists is because boxing only has loose ties to the martial arts, but many MMA fighters have trained in a recognizable martial art such as juijitsu.

I agree that many of the competitors are just that - competitors, not interested in the aspects of MA that doesn't include actual fighting. There are a few though that really exhibit personalities indicative of what I believe a martial artist to be.

So what makes one a martial artist? Does doing kata before sparring qualify you to be called a martial artist? I haven't done a kata in over 10 years, yet I still consider myself a martial artist. To be honest my training these days look very much like MMA training. I still bow in and maintain proper reishiki (etiquette). If I didn't, however, and called my instructor Chuck instead of sensei would that mean that I am no longer a martial artist? And that's not a sarcastic question - I really don't know. It may just be an issue of semantics.

After pausing this rant for a few moments to think - I believe that I'm leaning toward the idea that It doesn't matter what we call the competitors in UFC. They are all individuals from different backgrounds. Some are martial artists by one definition or the other, and some are just well trained thugs who like to fight for money.

By the way,
Welcome back ocman, it's been a while.

--Dallas

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 03:45 PM

UFC is freakin' awesome, the closest thing is the UFC reality show on Spike TV, I am also told there is a martial arts channel that some satellite providers offer.

As far as finding MMA in your area, I suggest a local Fight Night. Most cities have them and will let amatuers compete, I live in Dallas and I know we have one here in Dallas on April 23rd but you have to be involved with the sport to find out about them usually.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 05:12 PM

Down here in Georgia we call those ToughMan Competitions. They are great! Love to see Bubba try to know out Jimbo with those haymaker punches over and over again. But, if nobody is knocked out in the first round, go get a drink and a hit dog cause not much else is gonna happen. They both will pas out within a few minutes.

I enjoy UFC, Pride, King of the Cage, K1 and all that stuff. It is entertainment, but these guys are truly good fighters too. There are rules, but it is the closest thing that we have to not having rules in sanctioned fights.

I like the Ultimate Fighter series and am planning on watching the finale Saturday night.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 05:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Isshinryukid4life:
Do a google search & you'll find that the ufc has 31 rules,& the majority of what is not allowed in the ufc fighting,Is,Or can be used for self defense such as hair pulling, biting, etc...

[/QUOTE]

I bet you have PLENTY of rules when you train, right?

So what's your point exactly?

-John
Posted by: Multiversed

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 05:43 PM

All the assholes I knew in HS were wrestlers with chips on their shoulders. They would bum-rush you from behind and attempt to ground-and-pound you without warning if they didn't like you (or if they did "like" you- i.e.: latent) or felt threatened by you. I also had friends who wrestled and who were cool as hell. None of them amounted to anything. OH well. Life is long. I can see why after college most wrestlers would have no venue to use their kinesiology degrees in.

WWE cats would wax 99% of those pseudo-martial artists that enter that adrenaline junkie UFC/Pride crap. No legit karate guy who really knows how to fight has ever entered those things. Only one legit boxer has and he was a washed-up Cruiser Weight, in a broke weight category. Very few real Thai Boxers have entered and not one San Shou or Shuai Jiao cat worth his mettle (like Cung Le) has ever done the NHB Pride or UFC matches. Same goes for Chuan Fa. That venue rewards immobility and embracing endurance sport .

What you get are submission wrestlers and butt huggers, on soft padded floors, in a contained area. What you get are mediocre kickboxers with a lot of wrestling experience winning because wrestlers are muscled but soft. I guess if you want your kids to be bullies who like to fight then you put them in wrestling. Then they can go to college, join a frat, imbibe their cerebral cortices with ethanol, date rape chicks, haze idiots and juice to their hearts content. What a joke sport.

I think the sport itself sucks, but that's just my opinion. Funny how there are no real MAs allowed in most high schools, but spandex clad, butt-huggin' is encouraged. If you need to take wrestling to learn how to wrestle then you're a soft-ass, high-pitched, little d-cked fe-man anyway. That's just a generalization of course. Do a real grappling MA like Judo or BJJ.

If a Houston cat wants to do some wanna-be fight club crap, just walk into any Tejano bar talkin' crap about mexicans. You'll see where you really stand from a real self-preservation perspective.

If you WANT to fight you are stupid or in desperate need of money. Also, there is no such thing as a controlled streetfight.

BTW since I see some Oklahoma (Dallas) and Lousiana types (Houston) on here I just wanted to tell you that your cities make everyone outside of Texas think we're a bunch of country-fried crackers here in Texas. How's the Great Plains and the skeeter infested Bayou anywho? Us real Texans in Central and South Texas wanna say "quit being Alabamans/Georgians", the world is getting browner and you guys are still bleached out bible thumpers. Catchup or get left behind.

Go Spurs, Go!!! Hahahahahahhaha!!!!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Wait, I just realized something. The guy who started this thread is called "hockeyfighter". That explains the inane post. Anyone who likes Hockey or likes to play hockey and fight should be part of a mandatory eugenics program. Hockey is dead and hopefully baseball will soon be too. How fair is a world that allows white guys to assault and batter one another on a consistent basis (without any real repercussions), but suspends athletes in other sports (mostly black dudes) who throw a punch that doesn't even connect?

Good riddance to the cowardly superficial W.A.S.P. mentality. Your fast food system of doing things is OTD. Come correct or go back to Europe!

[This message has been edited by Multiversed (edited 04-08-2005).]

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 06:09 PM

Multiversed,

WTF are you talking about?

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 06:30 PM

Word drool

-John

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 06:50 PM

What?

[QUOTE]BTW since I see some Oklahoma (Dallas) and Lousiana types (Houston) on here[/QUOTE]

Did I get accused of being from Oklahoma? Or is Houston in Lousiana?

--Dallas

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 06:58 PM

Multiversed is just baiting folks. Let him have his rants and maybe he'll go find another bridge to live under.

-John

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 07:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dereck:
I'm a big fan of WWE and those that have trained with the Heart family here in Alberta, Canada will tell you just how real it is. Yes it is flashy and there are ridiculous moves, story lines and what have you … but it is entertainment.

WWE fighter are nothing but talk, well thats what they do for a living anyway. There is minimal skill involved but definetly not minimal steroids. But if you like it then you do, and i have nothing against it. Im simply wondering why.

ps. Who is multiversed and why is he talking a whole bunch of crap over the internet?

[This message has been edited by hockeyfighter (edited 04-08-2005).]

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 07:22 PM

Just to let everyone know, SPIKE TV is airing Ultimate KO's 3 in about an hour....8 o clock Chicago time...check your local listings. I also find the comments about professional wrestlers being able to beat guys like Andrei Arlovski hilarious. Sorry to tell you multiverse, but pro wrestling matches are staged, MMA is not. PS. Santa Claus doesnt exist either.

Re: UFC , Cool right? - 04/08/05 10:17 PM

Multiversed [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/eek.gif[/IMG]