Jump-rope head pain

Posted by: Anonymous

Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 10:52 AM

This morning I jumped some ropes as part of a light morning workout that I've started doing (I go to class later at night).

Today I was getting into the 400's (not trying to boast or whine 'cuz I don't know if 400 is good or not) and I started feeling some pain on the left side of my head. I kept going for awhile, but it started to throb. It got to the point where I had to stop and wait for it to settle. I finished up at 500, but my head still hurt.

It subsided completely about 15-30 minutes later. It was like a headache, but in an isolated spot. Any idea what's up?

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:01 AM

You count your jumps???? Man, I just go for a while..how long does that take you?

I think I've had pains like that before while working out, they go away after a while, but no idea why. Maybe lack of oxygen/correct breathing. I've found it's somewhat easy to do that while jumping rope if you're focusing too much on the jumping part.

Joel
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:03 AM

Get a longer rope!

It's probably hitting your head on the way over.
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:07 AM

Holy shiznot!!!!

You count your jumps?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That's probably why your head hurts!

376, 377, 378......damn, where was I? Oh well....1, 2, 3........

Use a clock!!!!

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:11 AM

have you had your blood pressure checked lately? or, if you're 35+, maybe a stress test? if it's a persistent problem, you may want to think about having it checked out.

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:22 AM

When I run, I play tic-tac-toe against myself or my running partner in my/our head(s) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Actually OneHeartWay, I'm only 17. I have my share of stress, but we can chalk that up to teen angst, can't we?

PS. Counting jumps really isn't that hard. Just go by tens. Then, each time you reach a significant number, reduce it to a fraction so you can remember where you are. E.g. 150/500=3/10
It's a way to keep the brain occupied, if nothing else.

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 11:55 AM

By the by, I'm still hoping to get some useful information from this thread. Please don't let the poor thing die. Contribute!

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 12:24 PM

Are you clenching your teeth at all throughout the exercise?

What type of surface are you doing the exercise on?

What type of footwear are you wearing? I know that seems like a stupid question, but pain is a funny thing(except when it happens to you) humor us..........

Could also be a caffeine related headache, too. I used to get those in class when I would go to the early classes and didn't have java beforehand.

Tom

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/22/05 03:44 PM

Try skipping on a soft surface such as grass, or an exercise mat.
The repetetive impact of your feet on the ground sends that shock up the spine to the skull, thus jarring the brain slightly. These headaches are common in people new to running as well, particularely on treadmills as your footfall is heavier when running on such a machine. Make sure you have proper sports shoes/trainers, and be concious of how high you are hopping, most people do some bigger jumps/ knee highs incorporated into a basic skip of just high enough to slip the rope through, so as to lessen the impact.Breath easy and avoid letting tension build up in your neck and shoulders, this also can cause headaches.You will often see boxers tilt their heads side to side sporadicaly whilst skipping, this helps stretch the muscle and release tension in the area.

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/23/05 07:00 AM

Thanks, Tom and Cord. Actually, I'm jumping on concrete with shoes that aren't exactly athletic shoes (I use what I got). My other options are work shoes or barefoot.

My options for surfaces leave a bit to be desired, as well. Our yard is a mud bucket this time of year, and I don't think we have excercise mats.

Ah well, I'll have to do the head thing.

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/23/05 07:04 AM

concrete is not a good idea-i'm sure you know that. maybe if you can get a yoga mat-which are inexpensive....to put on the concrete or go somewhere where the surface is a little more forgiving.

Re: Jump-rope head pain - 03/23/05 07:16 AM

go to your local park and skip on the grass, you could incorporate it into a running circuit then. Steady paced jog interspersed with high speed 200's (seeing as how you count 'em). Try and get some trainers as well. Dont have to be cutting edge, these days a basic no frills pair of a reputable brand will last you around 6-8 months, and arent too pricey.