Martial Arts vs. Guns

Posted by: Anonymous

Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 12:46 PM

Student: What do you do if someone pulls a gun on you?

Teacher: Cooperate, and try not to get shot.

Student: But what disarming techniques would you use?

Teacher: None. That will just get somebody shot, and it will probably be me.

Student: So there are no techniques that can be used against an attacker armed with a gun?

Teacher: Yes, there are plenty.

Student: Do you know any?

Teacher: Yes.

Student: Will you teach some of them to me?

Teacher: No. It's dangerous to think that you can disarm someone with a gun. If you try a technique you have a good chance of getting shot. It's best to simply cooperate and try to de-escalate the situation.

Student: Will you ever teach me the techniques to disarm someone with a gun?

Teacher: Yes, when you are experienced enough not to use them.

I personally make a distinction between the techniques that I know purely for the sake of learning an art form, and those that are not going to get me killed or beat up in an actual confrontation.

A lot of martial arts have techniques that can be used against someone armed with a gun. Do you feel that these are useful self defense techniques, or are they dangerous to try in a real life and death situation?

--Dallas

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 01:44 PM

Well the techniques are good but only if they are close range. Those techniques are only use if its a life or death situation. Thats what I think. Plz don't hate........

From the guy in red..............

*Inuyasha*

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 05:19 PM

Gun defence is almost impossible, but your only chance is literally a few yards away.

Any further than that, and your attacker would have to be a retard to get caught by you. And if you are close, and you do try something, you better get it right....

Mark.
Posted by: Stampede

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 07:11 PM

Bang > Hiya

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 07:20 PM

In my opinion when you have to defense yourselve against a weapon it another whole story. With Knife you are lucky if you get a second chance, if you miss a block.

With Gun, I might be wrong, but you only get One chance only if you mess up with whatever technique you were doing, I must said are you done man. Most of the technique that I learn are only effective if the opponents are close enough for me to grab their guns. It take a lots....of practice to become profiency at at.

Not only that, most of us don't practice enough of Gun disarming, because most martial arts school spend alot of time on Kata, combination, punch, kick, bags, Lines drill. Most martial arts school barely talk about or teach a students how to defends against gun attack, at not least at my school that how it was. We learn alot how to defend again knife, bat, club, stuff like that , but not to much on gun. The only time I have a chance to learn gun defend is when one of the Sensei who work for Law enforcement come and teach, he is the only that teach gun disarming techniques to me. Out of 25 senior black belt 5 degree and up that the only Sensei that teach me.

Try to avoid this type of situation as much as possible. Unless it is a life and death situation then it a different story.

In fact try to avoid as much fight as possible.

taichi

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 07:23 PM

originally posted by StayUnderMyWing:

[QUOTE]Gun defence is almost impossible, but your only chance is literally a few yards away.[/QUOTE]

You are a braver man than I. Personally, the weapon would need to be within an arm's length for me to try anything.

Agree with you about getting it right, though!

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 01-16-2005).]

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 07:26 PM

I actually know someone who was robbed recently. He cooperated and they shot him anyway.

It's stupid to think that martial arts can defeat guns. Kinda like the Boxer rebellion. Cooperate as much as possible. It's a sick world.

If you have reason to believe he's gonna pull the trigger anyways, what have you got to lose?

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited 01-16-2005).]

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/16/05 07:32 PM

Guns are for pussies.

'Nuff Said.

Cooperate until you can't anymore
-s.o.b.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 12:07 AM

I'd agree with several posters about this subject, the gun would have to be at my chest, my back, the back of my head or pretty damn close and I'd have to think the assailant was definately gonna pull the trigger before I'd attempt to disarm him. Cooperate and walk away if you think you could. If you think you'd get shot even after cooperating, then go for it, but you better get it right the first time. None of us knows what the circumstances would dictate and hopefully, none of us will.
I study Shaolin Kempo Karate and we've done many classes on gun techniques. Even after countless drills and tons of practicing technique, I still say cooperate and walk away if you can.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 12:13 AM

I definitely would not try to take a gun except as a last resort.You are taking a chance either way because only the asailent knows his intentions.I train with two police officers and we practice unarming techniques, but like I said they do not reccomend it.If they have a gun I hope I have mine too [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
All American Goju Karate
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 06:47 PM

you must also consider the possibility of getting someone other than yourself shot in the process. because one way or another, as soon as you move that gun is going to go off, even if its just reflex action by the attacker.
my teacher always told me that if some guy points a gun at you and wants your wallet...give him your wallet. i agree. why risk it if you don't have to?
chances are if he wanted to kill you, and take your money, he would have killed you and taken your money. if he points a gun at you and threatens you, chances are he isnt really interested in harming you...he just needs a fix or something.
i agree that for a disarm to really work the gun MUST be within arms reach. a distraction is also very helpful(like handing him your wallet maybe?). at any rate i think the most important thing about these techniques is controlling the muzzle of the gun..because that is where the bullets come out

[This message has been edited by kempo_jujitsu (edited 01-17-2005).]

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 09:36 PM

sorry to come out that way but i feel that gun disarms are kind of useless

i mean what are the odds of somebody holding a gun at point blank with the intent of killing me?

i dont sell drugs, i dont hang out with drugs dealers, i dont have sex with married women i never had a gun pointed at me and hope that i never will.

and besides if your opponent really wanted to kill you he'd shoot you before you knew what was coming not talk with you at point blank range.

do you guys also train to sleep with your eyes open in case some psychopatic maniac slips into your house at night with a battle axe? hey it happens!
Posted by: Tengu51

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 10:02 PM

rideonlythelabel:

You don't have to hang out with drug dealers or have sex with another man's wife to get shot. I live 35 minutes away from a city in which people are shot very regularly, and not necessarily because they are criminals. I don't go there often, but on occasion I do, and the possibility does exist. Honestly your post strikes me as rather naive in terms of violence that occurs every day.

In terms of using a gun defense there are several things: first, awareness is always the best option. That may fail for any number of reasons though, especially if the person using the gun knows what s/he is doing, in which case s/he will not let you know of the intention to attack first.

Second, using said gun defense is a matter of last resort (as martial arts should be), because it IS a matter of life and death, and not ego as to who can "fight" better.

Third, you have to be close enough to the attacker that you can move completely surprising this person. If you give any form of intention to defend yourself this person will shoot.

Fourth, when a person confronts you with whatever weapon (or unarmed) you must assume that person intends to back up the threat with actual force. The reason, if any, that the person hasn't attacked already is that it is easier in many cases to intimidate, but that doesn't mean the person wouldn't shoot/stab/fight you just as easily.

I have never personally had to deal with an armed attacker (thankfully), but I've had one friend killed by being shot, others stabbed, and another witness a shooting outside his house. I agree with the first post wholeheartedly in saying that the person should only learn something like that when they know not to use it. It is common sense.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 10:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tengu51:
rideonlythelabel:

You don't have to hang out with drug dealers or have sex with another man's wife to get shot. I live 35 minutes away from a city in which people are shot very regularly, and not necessarily because they are criminals. I don't go there often, but on occasion I do, and the possibility does exist. Honestly your post strikes me as rather naive in terms of violence that occurs every day.

[/QUOTE]

not saying that it can't happen... just that it's not very likely. the odds that gun disarms will actually save your life are IMO, close to non-existent.

lets look at it that way...

first there has to be somebody that wants to kill you and he has a gun. (not very likely)

then he has to decide that he wont shoot you at soon as he has a chance (he probably will if he really wants to kill you)

then he has to be a total idiot and come to talk with you at point blank range (we all know lots of people are stupid but...)

and then you have to somehow guess that he really is going to kill you (how do you know for sure? aren't you better off not trying the disarm and chancing that he isnt really going to kill you?)

and finally you have to pull the disarm itself off.

you will admit that there isn't much chance of a disarm saving your life.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 10:24 PM

My dad is a gun fantic and he always talks about how easy it would be to win in a fight. All he has to do is pull a trigger. I agree but I remind him that he has no gun on his person right now so what is he gonna do.
I personally think that I would be the one shooting but I don't have a gun so whatever.
If your gonna get shot then damn, sheisse happens, it must be fate. Someimes there isn't anything you can do about it, no matter how much skill you got.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/17/05 10:32 PM

I'm definetly have to disagree with what you said rideonlythelabel about gun diarming is Useless,.

When practice when gun disarming technique a students have to practice as hard a combination or kick or punch or a throw. The students and the technique he learn how to become second nature they have to become one. Doing a technique instantlly or automatic.

I mean I will try to avoid this type of situation as much as possible. Let said you just came of a shopping with friends or love one then someone rob you at gun point in front of you loves one, you give him his yours wallet now, he turn to your girlfriend or wife and start to malist sorry wrong spelling or harass the love one, if. Now the rob turn to kidnapp, I mean if I could I will try to disarm my opponents if he close enough which he should because when came close get your wallets. When life and death situation arise You have do what you can to protect you or a love one.

One should train hard enough to where you should be confident that if the opponent is enough you should able to get the gun.

I'm being a Combat Veteran in the military, now going the police academy we have practice this type of technique over , over and over until you get it right. Because one wrong move you are death. But risking my life to save myself or love It worth. Only if it the last resort. it not about I'm better then that person is doing what I think is right.

I might be wrong and you have your opinion and I respect them, but I also have my opinion

taichi

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 01:17 AM

umm if the dude thand so close u can reach him while pointing a gun on me I would chance it

but if he stod a bit back which I would do, about 2meters away there is no way he could do a thing

unless you are faster than a bullet

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 06:54 AM

guys who carry guns must be scared, why else would you need one unless you are afraid for your life?

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 09:24 AM

Oddly ...I sort of agree with Ride here.

Taichi, your scenario there seems kinda naive itself. I've spent many a time with wannabee thugs and punk kids, being one myself in the day. They're only scared kids, and anyone who just wants a wallet will 1: only go for the unsuspecting and alone, in most cases. You and your "Loved Ones" popping outta a shop do not pose as the easiest targets. Most will slink off and wait for a better opportunity.

Now ...even if this DOES happen, no respectable criminal will attempt a kidnapping in in front of one, or any, witness. That's suicide.

Like ride said ...If someone wanted to kill you, You're dead. If someone wants to take yer wallet ...well, yer pride may be shot, but thats it.

Now, if we'er going to toss around half-baked, movie-like scenarios here. Flipping What Ifs back and forth ...then ya, sure ...try your luck. If you have no choice, then take a whack at it. But for crying out loud, be creative about it. That gun disarming technique you learned in the dojo isn't the only tool at your disposal.

-Ket
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 09:52 AM

Having experience in this topic I always find it interesting what peoples veiws are.

I have had a gun held to my head twice....Why me I will never know...wrong place wrong time?

Anyway I can say the first time was an eye opener...I went thru all the emotions, why me? etc...basically felt helpless. I chose not to do anything because at the time I did not know any techniques....so I rode it out and lucky for me the guy let me go. It was a tuff thing not having control over your destiny. I went home and changed my underwear.
The second time was much later in life, I had a lot of training in Jujutsu and H2H from the military. The situation was basicaly the same but this time I choose to act.....
Having been in these situations I can give the following advice for what it is worth...

Never say never...it can happen to you.

Having no control over your life sucks ass.

If you do decide to disarm your attacker..you have a good chance of making it work...unless the guy is a mind reader....

If you do decide to disarm realize it is all or nothing, you are not looking to tap the guy out...you are looking to end his life....anything less is inadequate.

Having control is alot better than eating the bullet just standing there...

Realize that combat with weapons is not as lazer accurate as you think.

And last..you can not read your attackers mind...assuming that he will let you go if you comply with is demands...well you may be suprised when the trigger goes off and you are dead....no refund there.

All I can say that I have been there, disarms do work, having the right mindset is paramount to your survival.

Ed

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 11:35 AM

Speaking of mindset...

I posted this article in Self-Defense, but it applies to the conversation at hand.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/what_happens_gunfight/index.html

Check out what it says about having the right mindset being absolutely necessary.

Ed, you'll like this.

Roman
Posted by: Tengu51

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 04:09 PM

I agree that a lot has to happen in order for a gun defense to successfully work, but people have done it before. Honestly as a ordinary person I don't have the opportunity to use this type of training, but I definately see a value for police officers and military.

Some information I've read while looking at this site is rather interesting. I can't find it right now, but I'm fairly sure someone had posted a link to a set of FBI statistics that said if you are more than ten feet from an attacker with a gun, you should try to run because the chance of the attacker shooting you is pretty slim, something like only 20% of the time. Further it stated that most gunshot wounds were non-lethal. Now I'm not saying this is set in stone, just something I've read on this forum.

Also, sometimes shooting a victim is an after-thought. Most muggers, attackers, or criminals will have a plan as to how they intend to get what they want. That's why muggers target a particular person, because they have done it before and know the type of person they are looking for. If their plan changes at all they can become very nervous, agitated, or violent.

Another thing is that part of the attack is pyschological. They want to control you to get what they want, which is part of the reason for the weapon and surprise. Everytime I've seen someone intimidate another person, s/he got right in the other person's face and started pushing, yelling, and threatening. I think it may just be a natural reaction to prove dominance. Whatever the case I think most of these types of things happen at close range.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 04:24 PM

Thanks you Ed! I know that the technique that I learn in military and Law Enforment works.

The reason I disagree with Ride is because he said Disarmomh technique are useless, that not true. I think it the person who don't practice hard enough or have a will to survive to give up that easy.

I want to make myself clear try to avoid this as much as possible but stuff happen you know. If it a life and death situation I don't give a crap if the guy try to shoot me, I'm going try and take that person out as quick as I can Like lighting speed speed. If I'm close enough.

We all have our own opinion and this is my.

I'm also glad all of us here handle this topic like a True Martial Artist, no argument, just opinion and infor.

thanks you guys

taichi
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 04:53 PM

Part of the problem with many gun defense techniques is that they are for unrealistic situations. I've had a gun pulled on me face to face twice, but have seen guns pulled on others more than a few times. Not once did i see someone standing close enough to reach, well maybe the gun was barely an arms length away, but nothing close enough that your not going to telegraph your movements. Most people with the gun are nervous or scared and any movement from you will usually result in a trigger pull. Many of the techniques you see involving point blank range aren't going to work because those situations rarely happen. Even when they have a gun they don't want to be within reach of you, and at 3 yards you don't even have to aim, just point it at center mass.

If you should decide to act it's like Ed said, all or nothing. Forget about the fancy Segal disarms and practice controlling the gun arm and keeping close to him, i'd rather take a couple punches than a bullet. Even then it's a last resort, when you KNOW your not getting out alive.

If you’re going to train gun disarms do it right. You can get realistic handguns that shoot BBs or paint pellets, try your techniques with one of those. I know the Navy uses a barrel conversion for the 9mm that allows it to shoot paint pellets, not sure where you could get it though. See how often you get hit when the guy starts shooting at your slightest move.

I have seen some good defenses against a gun and they were pretty realistic, can’t remember from who though.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/18/05 09:17 PM

Weapon disarms are as much mental as they are physical. The physical tactics should factor failure, imperfect results and typical counters into the training.

Do I teach them? Yes.

Is there a significant disclaimer about the risks involved? Yes.

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/19/05 09:04 AM

What advice would you have for a woman who is being raped at gunpoint? It would be rather presumptuous to ask them to comply.

Any thoughts?

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/19/05 03:33 PM

I have been taught defense vs gun; If someone pulled a gun on me, I think the situation would dictate my action. Does he want my wallet, or is he intent on killing me? If someone pulls a gun on you and demands your wallet, giv it to him. If he pulls a gun and yells "I'M GONNA CAP YOU MO F***ER," then what other choice have you got?

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/19/05 03:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dauragon c mikado:
guys who carry guns must be scared, why else would you need one unless you are afraid for your life?[/QUOTE]

to protection?

16 bullets in a gun can remmove enought ppl so you can deal with the last ones(s) with your fists

I would carry a gun if I could afford one, not that I am scared of dying, LOL I wonder if there are ppl still fear death, if they do they have to change their live, you live, u get served/serve, and die, like anything else around us we die, why would humans which is just another bacteria on this earth mean something else ?

na, would I carry a gun it would be to protect me or my friends/family
when I mean protect me, I don't mean my life...

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/19/05 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dauragon c mikado:
guys who carry guns must be scared, why else would you need one unless you are afraid for your life?[/QUOTE]

It's surprising how many people will become free with their money when they see one. Why, sometimes they'll just hand over their wallets if you ask!

Re: Martial Arts vs. Guns - 01/19/05 04:21 PM

Imo it is too risky. Good luck if you have to pull some gun or knife defense techniques.