Recommended Styles by Desired Result

Posted by: Anonymous

Recommended Styles by Desired Result - 01/09/05 03:01 AM

Quick Story:
I'm looking for an effective subduing combat style. If such a style as encompasses a traditional kick/punch repetoir, that'd be great too.

Long Story:
Greetings all. Since this appears to be a multinational platform, all me to give a quick introduction.

I'm an American living in MA and involved in law enforcement. I've had some training in "Eclectic Karate", it's an Americanized hodgepodge of many Martial Arts particular to MA. I've also passed the basic Defensive Tactics as prescribed by the Federal Government. I know how to trade blows with someone and a few subduing moves. I'm strong, but lack the discipline of a trained person. As a LEO, I'm looking to subdue someone rather than trading blows.

However, I'd also like to be able to deliver quick, powerful, disabling blows. Subduing is great for one-on-one, but if two or more people see me as the only thing between them and freedom, I need to take them out quick.

I will admit that I am mostly interested in the utilitarian aspect of Martial Arts, but I do appreciate the mental, physical, and spiritual benefits of it as well.

With all that being said, please give me your opinion on the best style or styles to accomplish this.

I thought Aikido, but read that it's not "street effective". A friend takes Tae Kwon Do, but doesn't tell me much about it.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Recommended Styles by Desired Result - 01/09/05 04:24 AM

Combat Tae Kwon Do is effective, but TKD in general relies too much on kicks; high kicks at that. Plus there are many "McDojos" in Take Your Dough. Try Okinawan karate.
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Recommended Styles by Desired Result - 01/09/05 08:24 AM

How about the ancient Wushu art of San Shou?
http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004204.html
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Recommended Styles by Desired Result - 01/09/05 08:46 AM

Hello NyTyme.

There are many different styles out there to choose from. Rather than try to break down the 1000's of variations (which may or may not be available in your area), I would suggest checking out some of the local schools in your area.

I have personally studied American kenpo for many years, and I am aware that there are several AK schools in MA.

However, many "good" styles have inferior instructors, and vice versa. This is why I suggest you look around for yourself.

Look for schools that teach all ranges of combat ie; striking, trapping/clinch, ground fighting. As a LEO, weapon retention should also be a priority. Your LEO commanders may be able to recommend someone for that aspect.

I applaude your willingness to serve your community.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 01-09-2005).]