Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque?

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 02:54 PM

Hello taichi.

I trained in American kenpo for about 15 years.

Unfortunately, there are no secrets regarding speed training....or any other training for that matter!

Practice, practice, practice.

There are some esoteric training elements of American kenpo that are practiced to help speed training. (elastic recoil, rebounding, etc.)

There are others (contouring, obscure zones, etc.), that are not directly related to speed, but rather to give the appearance of more speed.

None of these will help you without simple, regular practice. Try simply working striking combinations on the heavy bag. Maintain good form, and increase your speed when you are ready.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 04:01 PM

he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!!

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi! Matt ! Thanks you for the helps, I really appreciated. The reason I ask is because I been training for 17 years and just about this and just want to know what it was all about.

So do you train in Ed Parker Kenpo? if so? how often do you guys have advancement test ? how many Kata and combination do you guys have ? hope you don't mind I was just curious?

thanks you

have a Happy New Years

taichi

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 05:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gojuwarrior1:
he is pretty much right.But on exercise that we love to hate is called(in our dojo)numarical punching or the wing chung chain punching drill.start in your ready stance and simply shuffle forward and throw a vertical fist(if you do not throw your fists like this,just do it!).Then shuffle forward again but this time throw two strikes,and so on up to 10 or 15.Man i should patent this stuff!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi! Gojuwarrior! how are you? thanks you for the help? Just wondering if you train Gojuryu Karate I belief it a very old style is the Great Grand Master is Choju Miyagi if that your Great Grand master of yours Style that Grand master is my Master Great Great Grandfather.

have a happy New Years

taichi

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 06:03 PM

Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 09:46 PM

Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 10:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Taichi -

Yes, I did train Ed Parker's American kenpo. I actually train in Jeet Kune Do now, having stopped kenpo training in 1999 or so.

Most of the kenpo schools I trained in allowed the students to test when they felt ready, or upon instructor recommendation.

Kenpo has basically 2 forms per belt to learn up to black belt. Approx. 17-18 forms.

Combinations? If you mean self defense techniques, there are about 250 total, counting "base" moves and "extensions" of the base moves. Each school is a little different.

Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE]

Hello! Mat thanks you for the infor, I was just curious that all, because I heard alot about american kenpo, because I learn Kempo style in Honolulu, Hawaii, so it differents, I think. So how do you like your new style jkd?

thanks you again

have fun

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 10:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempo Chris:
Re: Kempo speed training.

Yes, combinations against the bag are useful.

Yes, linear drills are good too.

But get yourself a wooden man and practise on it all the time.
[/QUOTE]

Hi! Kempo chris! thanks you for the information really appreciated.

taichi

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 10:23 PM

With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/02/05 10:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RavenDarkfellow:
With all due respect, I don't believe everyone has the money/space for a wooden man, or the connections required to find one.

Myself, for example.

I was actually curious about this as well, being in the Tracey system of Kenpo-Karate. I know there's no "quick way to learn", and that practice is the key, but I was hoping there would be a useful training method that didn't require equipment I don't have (nor have access to).

What I'm looking for is drills like Gojuwarrior gave (thanks, by the way!), but unfortunately I don't know the kenpo translation for a goju-ryu "verticle punch". I can see this being practiced with a backfist, though, in which case it would be quite useful to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Anyone else have similar equipment-less training drills?
[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel Raven! I too don't have the money to buy a wooden man or space for it, unless you have a big house. I mean heard about this speed striking and was skeptical you know? because from experience of 17 training in Kempo karate? All I know is there is no short cut in martial arts. You want to good practice the form or technique correctly, want to get better practice. Practice and practice.

The reason I ask is to find if it actually exist.

thanks you for everyone information

taichi
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/03/05 04:53 AM

it is the simple vertical srtike found in isshinryu,jkd,wing chung,arts like that.Actually the vertical punch is present in all ma.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/03/05 09:25 AM

Raven -

The vertical fist is done with the knuckles going up and down, as opposed to the horizontal punch, which is done with the knuckles parallel to the floor.

I'm curious. The Tracey system is an offshoot of the Parker system. Does the vertical fist truly not exist in Tracey kenpo?

Or have you not trained long enough to find out (no offense)? In Parker kenpo, the vertical punch is one of the very first strikes beginners learn.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 01-03-2005).]
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/03/05 06:35 PM

there was recently an article in black belt about speed punching and the overriding theme from everyone was...repetition!! you just have to do it over and over and over and over and over and over.
relax when you strike, and much of it is economy of motion, its not punch punch punch punch right left right left right left etc...its punch elbow backfist elbow hammerfist..etc for starters try on a heavy bag or focus glove, straight right punch do not retract it but fold your arm directly into an elbow strike..that leads right into a backfist (all with the right arm), then is a good time to switch arms, from your right backfist throw a left punch and do the same or simelar thing(s) with your left, elbow backfist, switch again..expand on it ..etc etc

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/03/05 10:39 PM

No offense taken. The verticle punch exists in the Tracey system, but from the description above, we'd call it a side fist. (Or perhaps even a backfist-- both are done with verticle knuckles, and we don't really use the back of our hand with a back-fist, we use our knuckles. . . vertically. *lol*)

And thanks, Kempo J.-- like I said, I don't have (or have access to) a bag, but I can still do the motions.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/03/05 10:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kempo_jujitsu:
there was recently an article in black belt about speed punching and the overriding theme from everyone was...repetition!! you just have to do it over and over and over and over and over and over.
relax when you strike, and much of it is economy of motion, its not punch punch punch punch right left right left right left etc...its punch elbow backfist elbow hammerfist..etc for starters try on a heavy bag or focus glove, straight right punch do not retract it but fold your arm directly into an elbow strike..that leads right into a backfist (all with the right arm), then is a good time to switch arms, from your right backfist throw a left punch and do the same or simelar thing(s) with your left, elbow backfist, switch again..expand on it ..etc etc
[/QUOTE]

Kempo Jujitsu! hi how are you? Thanks you for the information, I really appreiciated

taichi

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/04/05 03:15 AM

Forgive me.

I made my earlier post sound like you NEED a wooden man dummy. This is not true.

You can practise your wooden man set on anybody with two arms. But learn the form. It's a great excercise in explosive power and since, Tai Chi, you already understand the concept of complete relaxation between strikes you will become both deadly and lightning fast.

I am still in the process of obtaining a wooden man myself. The one I train on at headquarters is made of steel.

Another point: Be very careful with those Mantis hook/Chin Na grabbing techniques if you're practising against a human wooden man. You can do quite a bit of damage to their neck.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/04/05 03:28 PM

Hi! Kempo chris no need for apology Bro, we All Martial arts Brother and Sister here,

I have a question to ask you, one of my friend his name is ark, he train with Chris Chan or John chan not sure which , but it was one of them in San Fransico, cAlifornia he train wing chun, When spare full contact with him, his hands or arms is like an optopus , it like it **** you in and trap you, he use bong sau and chi sau block or something like I forgot , but definetly wing chun is a really style. I only have a chance to learn the Golden bell from him and some other stuff

taichi

thanks you again for the infor

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/04/05 03:35 PM

Hello taichi -

I have (informally) studied wing chun, specifically chi sao practice, for several years now.

I think it is a good system , and I know it has helped me greatly with close range fighting skills.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/04/05 04:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Hello taichi -

I have (informally) studied wing chun, specifically chi sao practice, for several years now.

I think it is a good system , and I know it has helped me greatly with close range fighting skills.
[/QUOTE]

It an awesome styles I love, hopefully one day I have a chance learn to it again, it hard right now because school and work,

I must said it one the most effective close combat technique out there that actually work, and it so devasting there hand or arm are so well condition because of the wooden dummy. It a really good art to learn I must said.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/04/05 05:57 PM

youre welcome guys...just glad i could help
another thing i think that helps is hitting focus gloves, seriously they are not that expensive and even cheap ones will last a while, and they are an invaluable tool in training. you can hit them static, you can hit them moving, you can hit them static as the holder is moving, you can hit them when both are moving, hell you could put one on a stick and hit it. you can have someone strike at you with one, and you block/evade and strike the other, or push on your arm as if to trap you and you "flow" over it or under it and strike the other as you trap the first...i love focus mitts.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 01/05/05 12:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kempo_jujitsu:
youre welcome guys...just glad i could help
another thing i think that helps is hitting focus gloves, seriously they are not that expensive and even cheap ones will last a while, and they are an invaluable tool in training. you can hit them static, you can hit them moving, you can hit them static as the holder is moving, you can hit them when both are moving, hell you could put one on a stick and hit it. you can have someone strike at you with one, and you block/evade and strike the other, or push on your arm as if to trap you and you "flow" over it or under it and strike the other as you trap the first...i love focus mitts.
[/QUOTE]

True, I practice alot of focu matt, because it very practical you can carry with you anywhere even on a vacation to Hawaii, Maybe not, but you know what I mean, at dojo where I learn in Honolulu, Hawaii, we always at the practice that like the last hour of training. we jab, right hand punch, then jab, duck right hook to the rib, etc......

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 04/14/05 01:59 PM

also another thing that i have personally tryed that works is striking with weights in your hands or if you prefer they have gloves with weights already in them so you can use open hand strikes ex. palm heel, chop, claw, finger jab hope this helps.

Re: Re: How do train for Kempo Speed Striking techinque? - 04/14/05 08:14 PM

bump