Anderson Silva - Leg Break

Posted by: Dobbersky

Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 12/30/13 08:32 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yin1HYh9jbw

Viewer Discretion needed.

Many many "reasons" why this happened, even Bas Rutten has said its due to him kicking wrong

What are your thoughts on this?

For me its Career End, once fit to concentrate on training NEW champs into the Cage of UFC etc
Posted by: jaedeshi

Re: Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 01/08/14 03:13 PM

Bas Rutten does seem to have a point in the video. In Silva's situation that is not the case. His leg was facing into his opponent' s leg. Look at the video.

My guess for the break is that he stuck his opponent near the knee. Where his opponent's leg will be thicker and denser because of muscle and tendon attachments. Your bones are denser where there are muscle attachments. Silva also struck with a part of his leg where there is probably less density because there aren't muscle attachments there.
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 01/11/14 10:36 PM

For me the angle is wrong. Bone on bone less denser bone gives.

That's why missile catching blocks are a no no.. Anyway I am not certain that this is a career end but I it isn't very unlikely. The man is 38 years old, even if he fully recovers after the operations and so on he will lose a solid year if not more from training time + possible psychological effects and the question of how useable will that leg be in the future.

Not the kind of end I would however wish for such a fighter.
Posted by: tamaro

Re: Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 04/30/14 03:28 AM

The kick hit up near the knee which is much stronger than the shin.
But, that alone shouldn't have caused such an injury, otherwise this leg break would be much more common than it actually is.

For me, the main reason should likely be overtraining which resulted in a weakened shinbone.

The psychological trauma will be 100 times worse than the physical damage, but Anderson can always modify his roundhouse technique to strike with the ball of the foot instead of the shin (like in Taekwondo or Karate). I doubt he'll try a low-kick striking with shin ever again.
Posted by: ALPHABET_SOUP

Re: Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 06/20/14 12:48 PM

As someone who has broken a Fibula and Tibia I know exactly how he feels. It took me 3 months for the bone to heel and after that I had to rebuild my calm muscle and for about 3 or 4 weeks I got an aching pain in the arch of the foot. About the only permanent damage to my leg is a 17cm long scar and some partial loss of feeling on one side of my foot which I do not usually notice during the day. The only way it affects my training is that it is more difficult for me to kick with the ball of the foot with turning kicks because my toes bend back to a slightly lesser effect forcing me to adjust the angle of attack slightly for my right leg turning kick. But then again I don't have a career a full contact MMA fighter.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Anderson Silva - Leg Break - 07/09/14 06:13 AM

I too suffered a Tib & Fib break to my right leg playing Rugby years ago. the leg is slightly shorter now and it does ache a lot in winter etc

I wasn't give pins etc but was left in a cast for almost a year.

I have had a few issues with that leg since including Achillies Tendonopathy and Meniscal Tears (and operation)

Think it will be a few years befor we see him in the ring