Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades

Posted by: Dobbersky

Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades - 07/04/12 07:29 AM

Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All

Would like to know what you would deem as the "correct" Levels for Kumite (Fights - Full Contact) for Gradings, should I amend them reduce them increase them etc?

At present I have
Kyu Grades
9th Kyu - 1 min Shadow Sparring
8th Kyu - 2 min Shadow Sparring
7th Kyu - 3 min Shadow Sparring
6th Kyu - 4 min Shadow Sparring
5th Kyu - 3 x 1 min Fights
4th Kyu - 5 x 1 min Fights
3rd Kyu - 5 x 2 min Fights
2nd Kyu - 5 x 3 min Fights
1st Kyu - 8 x 3 min Fights

Dan Grades
1st Dan - 10 x 3 min Fights
2nd Dan - 12 x 3 min Fights
3rd Dan - 14 x 3 min Fights
Posted by: hope

Re: Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades - 07/04/12 10:21 AM

May I ask what you count as "shadow sparring"? Eg.
* Do the students have to be obviously responding to an invisible attacker, who will do some set types of attack?
* Are there a number of techniques they must display during the shadow sparring?
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades - 07/04/12 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: hope
May I ask what you count as "shadow sparring"? Eg.
* Do the students have to be obviously responding to an invisible attacker, who will do some set types of attack?
* Are there a number of techniques they must display during the shadow sparring?

That is correct, I'm expecting to see the use of varying techniques and the use of combinations by the time they're Shadow sparring for 4 mins including blocking and defending too
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Number of Fights&Times for Dan Grades - 07/05/12 08:27 AM

This is the new BJA syllabus for Judo, but from 6th to 5th kyu for adults, 2 minutes of randori is required (full contact). From 5th to 1st kyu, 4 minutes of randori is required, full contact. From 1st kyu to 1st Dan, a person requires 100 points. Points are something like:

10 points for an Ippon win
7 points for a win by Waza-Ari
5 points for a win by Yuko

So to get your first dan you need a minimum of ten wins. These wins come at either grading tournaments or selected competitions. I understand in Karate and TKD though people may look for other attributes than other than the ability to beat their peers. I thought I'd mention the requirements in Judo though just for comparison sake.