Breaking Down Tech Into its Essential Elements

Posted by: Shinoken

Breaking Down Tech Into its Essential Elements - 11/22/11 12:00 PM

I come from the background of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and in that art, there are thousands of techniques and variations. So learning them all is a daunting task to say the least.

There are however common elements that bind the large group of techniques together. For example, one movement like the shrimp is applicable in countless techniques. Also the armbar can be applied in all kinds of situations just by understanding how to apply the leverage and where to focus it on.

So when we drill down, we have two basic elements of a technique. The movement and the concept, which are essentially how you make a technique work and why it works.

Reaching down this understanding has helped me a lot in the process of learning the skill set at a quicker rate. I believe that it is applicable in more than just Brazilian Jiu-jitsu though.

So I would like some opinions on it. I want to figure out any logical flaws and expand on it if possible.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Breaking Down Tech Into its Essential Elements - 11/22/11 04:28 PM

I am a big fan of joining conceptual understandings to physical technique. Learning a move with no (or little) context does not allow for much in the way of realistic application, IMHO. You will never understand when or why to use the move in question.

And vice-versa, learning concepts without ever trying to apply them with resistance is equally futile. Timing, distancing, and momentum are things that must be felt to really make them work.