Training "Fighting Spirit"?

Posted by: Prizewriter

Training "Fighting Spirit"? - 08/30/11 04:40 PM

A guy on another forum noted that his wife was a hardy lady who grew up out in the sticks. She was surrounded by large animals (bulls, horses etc...) and had to learn to handle these animals. She also had 3 brothers and no sisters.

The poster noted that his wife was a tough lady, and reacted to situations where someone was aggressive (e.g. shouting at her in the street, attacking one of her friends) in a ferocious manner that completely blindsided and indeed scared aggressors. He noted she had more "spirit" than a lot of people in MA classes he came across. He stated that it was this "spirit" that would be of most use in a dangerous situation. I have to say I agree with him. It's like Liam Nesson said to Christian Bale in Batman Begins "The training is nothing, the will is everything".

The original poster went on to say that he wasn't sure if it was possible to really foster this "spirit" in someone if it wasn't there already. He noted a lot of people in various MA classes who, even after a long time of training, simply didn't have that will, that spirit, to act when the going got tough.

Is it possible to train this sort of will to fight to the end? Is it possible to generate that "spirit" in someone if it isn't present?
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Training "Fighting Spirit"? - 08/30/11 05:20 PM

Not sure it's possible to produce it where it doesn't exist..

However I think it can be honed if it exists at all, I think for most people it's there, but maybe hidden. Many martial arts forget the whole part about simply training like you mean it. For me when training is more austere, it is easier to access that spirit, and focus on the goal, rather than aesthetics or something.

This is one of things the I really liked about Judo, with most standup sparring i've done there is always some "hold back" for safety. One of the nicest things about newaza work in particular for me is that you can go all out and not get too badly hurt, I think this kind of practice really helps with 'spirit'.

I remember seeing kids in my Judo class (it was a seperate kids and adult class at the same time) who transformed completely after a month or two of training..they definitely found that spirit.

I've seen the same thing in Karate, but Karate is really boring in the beginning, and it seems that for kids they are so impatient it's harder for them to find the 'spirit' in it. Then again, I've never been good at teaching kids and maybe it's just a reflection of that.

It definitely means something in real life..but it's one thing to produce the spirit in the dojo, another to be able to summon it when the )(& truly hits the fan, in my experience.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Training "Fighting Spirit"? - 09/06/11 01:38 PM

I strive to amp up my fighting spirit during class, but find that it's hard to carry that feeling outside class.This probably comes from still being a relative novice in the arts.One thing I'm fairly sure that it's linked to a calmness in the face of stress.To keep a cool head during a dangerous encounter is key making the right decisions.
Anger in these situations gets in the way of good decision making.Anger makes mistakes that can get you hurt.

Mark
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Training "Fighting Spirit"? - 09/23/11 10:55 AM

Hello Prizewriter:

<<Is it possible to train this sort of will to fight to the end? Is it possible to generate that "spirit" in someone if it isn't present?

I believe so, yes. By definition, that is TRAINING. It is entirely possible to make no mistakes and still "lose". Someday all of us will...

The first day we arrive at any new class it took spirit to go through those doors. New things are difficult and frightening. To stay and learn the most basic fundamentals, takes spirit. There are many worthy places to spend ones time. Years with no tangible result, no "proof" and yet still continue... that too is spirit.

Training is about learning our limits, our boundaries, flaws both good and bad. Faced with dozens, or just one intent to kill, harm, maim, I will not lose. But if I do, it will have been a fight with serious scars and frightening memories.

Yes spirit can be discovered, found, uncovered. It can be built...

Jeff