What you folks training at the moment?

Posted by: Prizewriter

What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 08:08 AM

Just thought I'd start a thread about what folks are doing at the moment. I know some people aren't doing a lot (or any) martial arts training at the moment due to injury and finances, but I was wondering what people are doing at the moment? Feel free to mention any sort of physical training here, not just Martial Arts.

My Judo class has stopped for the summer, which to be honest is a relief. The injuries were starting to mount up and they were taking a toll on me. Glad of the break to be honest.

I have found a local Gracie Garage where I can train for free over the summer. I know the guy as he is a friend of a friend. The guy was a JKD instructor assistant instructor and the guys we train with have a all a lot of previous MA experience. Been going for a few weeks now (I'd been a few times before earlier in the year but was on the same day as Judo). Have to say so far so good. Enjoy the content and the Gracie instructionals are the best instructional DVDs I've ever seen (in any martial art). Not sure about their grading system though! confused

Aside from that, been doing the normal: running, weights, yoga. I'm doing 2-3 yoga classes a week, getting a lot out of it. Easing off the weights for the next week or two as I've hurt my right shoulder. It was a Judo injury but some of my training wasn't helping it.

What you folks doing?

Posted by: trevek

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 08:44 AM

I was doing some wing chun but started f/c kick-boxing training. Problem was my inactivity, unfitness and a recurring trapped nerve in my neck. I decided to stop all the training and concentrate on getting the neck sorted.

I started at a back rehab place (back school)and saw my doc about sorting my body out. I've been nordic walking in the summer forests, drinking loads of water and eating loads of fruit...

Started working on a theatre project with my Japanese colleague and I've been doing stuff with the band...

Sadly, I can't say I miss the training too much at the moment...
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 09:18 AM

I've had to cut my classes back to one a week at the moment thanks to assorted influences from the rest of my life. Other than that, I get in half an hour of kung fu practice five days a week and a few bodyweight exercises. I can't stand running, so cardio tends to be restricted to interval training at home (and is also of a kung fu bent).

The upside of this is that I have more time to focus on those areas I feel need development. I'm also hungrier for the classes when I get to them and can more readily take in the lessons because I'm not trying to do everything at once.
Posted by: harlan

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 09:41 AM

Three two hour classes/week of goju, and one of kobudo. Teaching off and on private students about 4 hours/week, swimming 3x/week, and a couple hours of physical therapy/week for the arthritis.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 11:12 AM

Once a week informal training with a friend, Jujutsu guy. Usually runs two hours.

Once a week two hour dojo practice, about an hour or so of Karate, Jujutsu friends fill in the rest.

Go see my teacher every so often.

Lots here and there on my own, I have this thing I rigged up that is basically two tennis balls attached to bungi cords for punching i've been at alot lately, it's fun!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 11:30 AM

Mostly jogging and heavy bag work lately, with the occasional bit of weight lifting. Beginning to get a weekly MA training session going with my friend's 20 y/o son, who is interested in learning. Lots of bag work and sparring, both stand-up and ground.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 06:59 PM

BJJ (no gi) 2 or 3 times a week for an hour and a half. Thai Boxing abotu the same amount and an hour MMA class once a week. And sometimes I'll come in for a couple hours on saturday and just work on whatever at open gym.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 09:46 PM

Hi All,
It's been a while. I've been working on my kum sul, advanced dan jun breathing, cane techniques, and just trying in general to get back into shape. Teaching 2 times a week. I just graded for fouth Dan. Grueling test. I passed, but wasn't totatlly happy with my performance. (mostly my cardio issue) So, I've spent the time since re-working my techniques and trying to get them to where I'm happy with them.

I found the kendo gear I thought I'd had stolen from my parent's house. grin That had me bummed, I can 't buy another $400-600 for a new set. Looking forward to doing some of that in the near future. Enjoying the journey.

Hope you're all feeling the same.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/29/11 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: JMWcorwin
Hi All,
It's been a while. I've been working on my kum sul, advanced dan jun breathing, cane techniques, and just trying in general to get back into shape. Teaching 2 times a week. I just graded for fouth Dan. Grueling test. I passed, but wasn't totatlly happy with my performance. (mostly my cardio issue) So, I've spent the time since re-working my techniques and trying to get them to where I'm happy with them.

I found the kendo gear I thought I'd had stolen from my parent's house. grin That had me bummed, I can 't buy another $400-600 for a new set. Looking forward to doing some of that in the near future. Enjoying the journey.

Hope you're all feeling the same.

Where/who are selling Kendo sets for under $600?

I have always wanted a set
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 08:43 AM

Slowly losing a few pounds (I'm not fat, just - bulky) and doing cardio in addition to MA. As I progress through my 60s I figure I'll pass up those masters more skilled than me just by sheer conditioning and stayin' alive.

Every now and then people ask me "Still doing karate?" No one asks "Still golfing?", and I'm way at that.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 01:16 PM

Try E-bogu.com

http://www.e-bogu.com/In_Stock_Kendo_Bogu_s/28.htm

They have some that are down under the $300 mark if you don't need the super hi quality ones. Then they go up to ridiculous amounts. You can decide what it's worth to you.

~Corwin
Posted by: choonbee

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 04:59 PM

Doing a combination of Tang-soo-do, groundwork and self-defense in 4 one hour classes a week. (Mon. Wed. Thurs. Sat.)
Lifting twice a week for about an hour on Tues. and Fri. evenings.
Also practicing forms and drills, and stretching in the mornings at home before work.
Lost a lot of fat, and am within 13 lbs. of my target weight after dropping 57 lbs since the new year.
I plan to scale back my workouts and maintain my weight after I reach my target weight.
We'll see how it works out.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 06:42 PM

Great job Choonbee!

That's alot of working out! You must be super motivated. Is it ever hard to keep your edge? I find that once in a while I have a hard time doing the other things other than Goju.If I could have a Goju class available 7 days a week I probably would work out 6 of them and crash and burn.I find that I have a hard time going to the gym to lift weights. I can do my 4 hrs of Goju during the week then my other exercise consists of alternating kata and core exercises. Once in a while I ride my bike

keep training, Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: gojuman59
Great job Choonbee!

That's alot of working out! You must be super motivated. Is it ever hard to keep your edge? I find that once in a while I have a hard time doing the other things other than Goju.

I'm usually o.k. as long as I get enough sleep and eat enough good food. Those are the biggest things for me. I take Sundays off and rest.
Since I have the weights at home, a trip to the gym isn't necessary. The biggest thing there is getting started, but once I do, I'm good.
And the mornings are more of a mental thing for me than anything else.
Since I've been keeping this schedule for the past 6 months, my body is pretty used to it.
I'm one of those people who has a lot of nervous energy if I'm not active, and my mind gets jumbled up. Exercise burns that energy up and makes me calm so I can relax and think right. I enjoy it.
The funny thing is that even after doing all that, I have more energy than I did when I didn't do anything.
Posted by: harlan

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 06/30/11 10:51 PM

I found that it was hard to fit in anything outside of work and I was stuck at four classes/week (8 hrs)...until I decided to fit in more practice while at work. By going in an hour early every day, and using my lunches I was able to bump that up to 18 hours/workweek of varied exercise. We have gym facilities at work...so depending on my mood it can be weights, swimming, machines, or just plain karate. smile

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 07/01/11 09:16 AM

WOW! Harlan

You work out alot.I wish my club had classes more than twice a week. As it is I have to disipline myself to work on things between my classes. There's an huge park in my town that I'm gonna try to use for kata or even some kobudo. The kobudo part is kind of hard because having only 4 hours of GOju a week we relly don't have enough time to spend on it.
May be by working on kata in the park I can find a potential new student. Hmmmmm....Just a thought.

keep training, Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 07/01/11 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: harlan
I found that it was hard to fit in anything outside of work and I was stuck at four classes/week (8 hrs)...until I decided to fit in more practice while at work. By going in an hour early every day, and using my lunches I was able to bump that up to 18 hours/workweek of varied exercise. We have gym facilities at work...so depending on my mood it can be weights, swimming, machines, or just plain karate. smile

Having facilities at work is a huge benefit. I wish my job had them.
It would be great to work out at lunch. The afternoon would seem like a new day with a fresh attitude. It has to be great for your stress level.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 07/02/11 08:58 AM

Still into Aikido.
Two midday classes at the demo/variations/figure-it-out-for-yourself dojo.
Two evening classes at the learn and practice what works dojo.
Also an hour on Sundays working through Iaido kata at a gym with hardwood floors and a high ceiling.
Posted by: oldman

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 07/03/11 12:12 AM

Basics, forms and sparring. Also partner drills for applying the Pinan / heian kata. I teach and or train 5 to 7 classes a week. Mondays, and Wednesday I teach at the fitness center at work and started a program at the YMCA in my town. I also do a Sunday family class at the Y. I take a class with my teacher Saturday morning and sometimes teach one there as well. I try to eat well. My dog gets 2 walks a day.
Posted by: Buah Pukul

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 07/04/11 09:20 AM

Hi guys...
At the moment i'm learning Silat 'Buah Pukul LianPadukan'..Its a form of martial arts thats offensive and pro active..So, now, i'm doing some jogging for stamina and have been hitting the punching bag & striking pad with my brother for hitting power,excuracy & focus..Planning to get me a wooden dummie to practise with..I have open a tread regarding Silat LianPadukan..
http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=432538#Post432538
Posted by: AikiCore

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/04/11 05:17 AM

Hello everyone.
I'm a bit of a forum newbie, but my apologies if I make any mistakes.

I'm learning Aiki-Jutsu currently, it's a good change after doing BJJ for a while. I'm currently 7th kyu it's going well. I will stick with Aiki I think, I like how it's not a martial art which involves adrenaline pumping. It's calm and flowing, which makes it so graceful at the same time.

JD

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/04/11 05:37 AM

Welcome! Didn't know there was any Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu in your neck of the woods. Thought the only legit Aikijujutsu was in Greater London or Hastings area! Glad to see it's spreading.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/04/11 08:06 AM

For the last month the evening Aikido class I attend has been working on Jo. To get it together and keep it smooth, I have added a back yard session every morning to practice (currently) one of the 31-move kata. It keeps morphing as my sensei attends seminars. It helps when you can visualize how your defense and counters actually work together.

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/04/11 06:31 PM

My sensei is on vacation so one of his sempai is taking our class for the next week and a half. Last night we incorporated some boxing strikes to change the pace. It was refreshing to do some striking that is different than the normal karate punching. It definitly opened my eyes as far as my lack of footwork.It's all good. I look forward to next class to see some of his judo. Maybe I better remember to take some ibuprophen before class as throws wear heavy on this old dog.Ha Ha!

keep training, Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/05/11 06:38 PM

Funny you mention boxing.
My school is closed for a the last week in August, (they do it every year) and I'm going to check out a boxing class at a local health club for two of those nights. My girlfriend belongs to the club, and gave me a free two week pass.
Why not? Should be fun.

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/06/11 10:44 AM

That sounds like a cool change of pace. It's always good to mix it up every once in a while.I find that I become tunnel visioned, only looking at things from a Goju perspective.
Actually the boxing strikes mesh real well with the techniques of Goju.Example: Drop step,getting off the line, throw a tight hook.
It did expose some of my poor footwork, but it needed to be exposed.It will give me something to work on.
Now next week were gonna do some Judo throwing......A great skill to have but not one that I get all excited about. My shoulders are already twitching in painful anticipation.I guess it doesn't help that almost all the others in my class out weigh me by 30 lbs.They are also shorter than me.It makes it hard to get under them to throw them.
This summer has been nice in that we have worked on many non-traditional aspects of the arts just to keep things fresh.It's nice just to try different things.

Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/06/11 02:55 PM

A big part of throwing right is entry and off balance...

If your shoulders bug you falling see if you can just practice enter, off balance, load.

We even did that in Judo class often, it seems to be 80% of a good throw. Personally I am getting old enough now that I don't like constantly taking falls, and i'm not even that old!

Another thing i've learned from training with Judo and Jujutsu guys: most Karate guys make the worse uke's in the freakin' world for learning the simple mechanics of throws!

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/06/11 07:07 PM

Taller Judo players tend to be able to work the Ashi Waza (foot throws/sweeps) more often in judo. You could try those. Roger Gracie is mainly a BJJ guy but he studies Judo too. He does some nice sweeps at the start of this clip. He's a big guy also (6'4").

Here are some more Ashi Waza:

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/07/11 04:30 PM

Thanks Prizewriter. Those sweeps look like they would be very effective.I guess it's like anything you have to put the work in to be smooth like that.

Mr. Zinn since you do both Goju and Judo you probably have a good perspective on how well the two skills mesh. It seems to me that Goju range works right into Judo range.You know bang on them then slam them. Cool.

Thanks guys, Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/07/11 07:08 PM

I don't do Judo anymore, I did it for about a year and my own Karate teacher has a shodan in Judo. I train with some Jujutsu guys right now also. I have some exposure but am by no means any kind of expert on anything..most of my throws are pretty bad.

Yeah, Judo/Jujutsu ties in great with Goju, as long as you keep in mind they have very different overall philosophies and strategies, the actual material meshes really well.

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/09/11 10:33 AM

Well got through the Judo class...Yes, I can still walk....sort of.It was a painful experience, but there was alot of good stuff.You guys were right that there are quite a few throws and sweeps that are good for tall people.
Where's my Advil.....

Mark

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/09/11 04:11 PM

Well done on making it through. Judo is tough, no doubt. Certainly its the toughest MA I've ever done. Everyone who does Judo gets injured, it's just a question of when and how badly. Those who make it to black belt are a) great at injury management b) committed beyond the call of duty. Although Judo is good fun constantly getting slammed into the ground isn't going to do you any favours long term IMO. Sometimes less is more when it comes to Judo.

Re: What you folks training at the moment? - 08/10/11 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter
Well done on making it through. Judo is tough, no doubt. Certainly its the toughest MA I've ever done. Everyone who does Judo gets injured, it's just a question of when and how badly. Those who make it to black belt are a) great at injury management b) committed beyond the call of duty. Although Judo is good fun constantly getting slammed into the ground isn't going to do you any favours long term IMO. Sometimes less is more when it comes to Judo.

I definitly have a new respect for those who stick with it.
I think I'll just take it as an experience and stay with Goju. I think my old body would break down after about three weeks of Judo.There are a couple of sweeps and some basic hip throws that I'll definitly put in my tool box.

Mark