What martial art have you enjoyed the most?

Posted by: Prizewriter

What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 02:29 PM

What martial art have you enjoyed the most? Might seem like an obvious question but what training have you enjoyed the most?

The way people talk about martial arts it sometimes sounds as though they are describing a chore. They talk about how the training is tough, but they need to do it so they know how to defend themselves.

I've also heard many people talk about "filling in the gaps in my training". I understand the reasons behind it, but do people always enjoy "filling in the gaps"?

There is also the argument that Art X is more "practical" than Art Y. Again, I understand the point. Just because an art is more "practical", does it always make it more enjoyable?

I've also heard a lot of people say "Aw man I love training in Art X. I haven't been in while, I must get back to it". I understand that a person may have legit reasons for not training (such as injury, finances, family commitments) but I've also talked to people who have the time, means and money to train in the martial arts they "love" but don't bother. I always wondered how much they really "love" them.

What training have you enjoyed the most? Why did you enjoy it?
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 02:33 PM

Well I used to partake in a little Judo long time ago, the training itself constantly working with someone etc was more ''fun'' but I didn't gain as much from it as I have with Karate and thoughI have had a few different teachers for me it's really become about the teacher.

I've liked all of my karate teachers but a few simply stand out making serious things funny while keeping the work on them serious has made otherwise difficult training a lot easier and fun..

Though I've never had a problem with training itself.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 03:43 PM

Muso Shinen Ryu Iaido. The "bear" part of my handle is for the consummate lack of grace displayed when I commit it.

Aikido is basically for the exercise and company.
Posted by: TaekwonDoFan

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 03:54 PM

I've only done TKD, but, in my high school years, I did a year of wrestling. I liked both, but much of the enjoyment comes from the social interaction of the particular school, as opposed to the particular style.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 04:02 PM

I should actually rephrase the question:

"What class did you enjoy the most?"

Thanks for the contributions people.
Posted by: choonbee

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/22/11 05:04 PM

My school teaches tang-soo-do, and we also have jujitsu classes as well.
Even though I have had limited exposure to it, I'd have to go with jiu-jitsu.
Presently I am enrolled in tang-soo-do, which I like, but I was invited to participate in a few jiu-jitsu classes when an extra partner was needed so that everyone could pair up, and I must say that I enjoyed it more than the tang-soo-do.
Eventually I would like participate in both.
On occasion our school will have groundwork classes that the karate members can participate in if they choose to. I always make it a point to attend those classes because I think that combining the two makes you more well-rounded.
I guess I like the jiu-jitsu because it's more "full contact" as opposed to practicing moves against an opponent who isn't really fighting back.
Don't get me wrong....the techniques, drills and form work of karate are very important as well, and I learn a lot from them, but for me, nothing beats hitting the mats. It just feels right to me.

Posted by: Ives

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/23/11 08:44 AM

I've had some training in Jiujitsu, Kobujutsu and Karate. Karate I like best. Some teachers offer classes that are really eye-opening. I'm lucky to train with one of the long-time practicioners within our organisation.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/23/11 10:22 AM

I love sparring the most, be it stand-up, groundwork or any combination thereof. I don't have a particular favorite art.
Posted by: Cord

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/23/11 10:18 PM

I would have to say Eskrima. Something about hitting people with sticks that is very primal and satisfying. I also have a lifelong fascination with knives, and learning to use them as well as collect them is fun persuit.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/24/11 03:39 AM

I enjoyed and it was a privilege training in Jujitsu with Prof George Kirby. After receiving my Shodan in 1992 I then started to teach Jujitsu under Prof. Kirby and took over management of his dojo when he moved to Santa Clarita, CA.

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/24/11 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter

I've also heard a lot of people say "Aw man I love training in Art X. I haven't been in while, I must get back to it". I understand that a person may have legit reasons for not training (such as injury, finances, family commitments) but I've also talked to people who have the time, means and money to train in the martial arts they "love" but don't bother. I always wondered how much they really "love" them.

I guess for some it's easy to look back on it and remember the benefits that they enjoyed while training, and how good they felt, but they forget about the work and commitment that is involved in that training.
Once you stop training, for any reason, every day moves you farther away from that training lifestyle, and the more time that passes, the harder it is for some people to get that fire burning again.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 03/24/11 10:58 PM

And at my end of the calendar your are just three pauses away from sitting quietly in a corner with two dozen pill bottles for company.
Keep moving. It's cheaper. Feels better, too
Posted by: Dwip

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/04/11 12:58 AM

Even though i have black belts in shotokan and tang soo do, (which i still enjoy and train in) I have to say the funnest single style to train in for me would be jiu jitsu. I don't have any rank in it, i've just been doing a lot of no gi stuff over the last few years and i love training in MMA as well.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/04/11 01:03 AM

I have enjoyed everything (martial art) I have done. or else I wouldn't have in the first place
Posted by: JohnL

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/05/11 09:21 AM

The east coast get togethers.

A group of strangers, no ego's, and enquiring minds!!!

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/06/11 11:04 PM

I would say jujitsu and judo.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/06/11 11:41 PM

Old school hard style Karate when I was younger, Muay Thai now that I am older.

Wanna stir things up? Start a thread on martial arts you didn't like and why...come we are all warriors here lets battle!

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/07/11 05:16 AM

One of the guys that I've become friends with in my class used to train in aikido, and we stayed after class last night so he could show me some moves from that style.
I was impressed with how quickly he was able defend against my advances and quickly get me into joint locks, using my momentum against me and rendering me helpless.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/09/11 08:03 PM

Kenpo and BJJ, though I don't do Kenpo anymore.
Strangely enough I'm best at thai boxing (although I do really like it).
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 04/30/11 11:28 PM

When I am "old" (whatever that means)... I hope I remember the pain. Not the pain of injury. Nor the pain of ancient demons, painful memories.

Nope. If I remeber the pain of the laughter I shared in training, the gut wrenching body laughs though rare were very much a part of it. Dumb humor. Bad, bad puns. The occasional accidents. All were good learning.

I found enjoyment in little things.
Posted by: Mannetosen

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/03/11 07:45 PM

I've enjoyed everything I've ever done (Sport jujutsu, boxing, MMA, Muay Thai) but I think Muay Thai is my favorite.

The sessions are tough, it's a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but at the end of the day I love every second of it. I'll probably be doing this for a long time. smile
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/04/11 08:25 AM

I enjoy Ashihara Karate, most of all!!!!

I've trained in Judo, Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Aikido, Shotokan, Krav Maga, Wado Ryu and Kung Fu, but apart from Wado Ryu, Ashihara to me was the most complete of the arts I studied. The secret was to really undertand the kata that was being taught. If you are in the Monkey says, Monkey does mode, you will see too many weaknesses, although it wasn't until I studied the other styles did I see what was already there within my core style Ashihara.

That's why you should not cross train in other styles UNTIL you have reached 1st Dan in another. Also how many of you with black belts are willing to put on a white belt again and retrain to black belt again???
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/04/11 10:15 AM

It's hard to compare because I'm at a differant place in my life than I was 15 years ago.
I trained in ITF TKD up through 2nd dan. This was very enjoyable at that time.Then I hurt my knee and my tournament career was over. That time was fun but very "me oriented."
Now I'm three years into my second MA life. Traditional (GOJU ryu) karate with its self-defense orientation. This is much more rewarding to me at this time in my life.
Starting over as a white belt was so liberating for me. It made me realize that I wasn't that great and It was time to get a new attitude.

Mark

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/04/11 05:06 PM

Was it difficult to put aside a lot of what you've already learned to learn a new style, or did you find similarities that made the transition easier?
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/05/11 09:38 AM

Good question! It was very difficult to Strip down my tournament technique to flow in a self-defense situation. Alot of my go-to techniques from tournament days are worthless on the street. Not all of them but some had to be adjusted.
I also had to learn to hold on to my adversary after blocking. This is central to Goju ryu. We block and then remain in contact with them as we flow to another technique.
I guess the number one problem was range. I'm 6ft 3 in tall and my legs are long. Good for round and side kicks at kicking range. Every thing we do now is up close. At first I felt tied up. Also now that I'm older and It's self-defense my head kicking days are over.
I still use my roundhouse and front kicks but waist level or lower. My sidekick used to be my best kick but now it usually doesn't get dusted off unless we are doing kata.
The number one problem is I'm older now and I don't pick up on new things as well as when I was young. But then again I'm not in any hurry.

Mark

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/05/11 05:08 PM

Well....it sounds like a good style, and there's nothing wrong with kicking lower.
Self defense techniques are sometimes hard for me to pick up initially, but I find that there are some moves that I feel very comfortable with, and those are the ones that I go to most often.
Lots of repitition on a technique is key for me. I can't get comfortable with a new technique if I only practice it every once in a blue moon, and I have to feel that it will actually work in a real life situation in order to have faith in it.
That's why it's important for me to have a training partner actually come at me somewhat hard instead of simply going through the motions. That gives it more urgency, and allows me to experience using the technique when my adreneline is running higher than normal.
Our school tries to teach "economy of motion" techniques because in a real situation you won't have time to think of fancy moves...you'll have to respond quickly and decisively.
Most people who attack others don't expect their "victims" to know how to defend themselves, and a quick evasion or block followed by a couple of well-placed shots or kicks will make them wish that they had picked an easier target.
I like self-defense classes when they are combined with other things, like drills, form practice, maybe some work with bags and focus mitts, ect...
Posted by: tessvhin143

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/15/11 12:25 AM

maybe your asking who I am..or thinking that I am a spammer..well,your definitely wrong..I am just new here..
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/16/11 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: tessvhin143
maybe your asking who I am..or thinking that I am a spammer..well,your definitely wrong..I am just new here..

That's an unusual thing to say as your first post.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 05/20/11 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tessvhin143

Ok. Please tell use the point of your post.
Posted by: specter

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 06/16/11 12:57 AM

I have only practiced Taekwondo and Aikido. I Did Taekwondo for about 4 years and was about 4 to 6 months away from obtaining a black belt when I left. I later on, did Aikido for a few months (I think about 3 to 4) and enjoyed those classes much more, although I wasn't able to keep going, because it was a college club and I wasn't a student yet at the time.
Posted by: DSMartialArts

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 08/24/11 12:42 PM

I like self-defense class, at my dojo we are open to other styles. Tae Kwon Do is our main focus, but when it comes to self-defense we take techniques from other arts, wrestling, aikido, hapkido, escrima or any other style one of our students may have learned and share techniques. Makes for a fun and exciting learning enviroment. I am a 1st dan black belt in Taekwon do and have just starting learning Hapkido. My goal is to make a cross system cririculm that I can teach to others incorporating moves and techniques from those and other styles. I do not want to create an art just present a well rounded style of Tae Kwon Do.
Posted by: blaktiger

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 08/30/11 12:29 PM

For me. I like few styles as kyokushin karaté, jun fan kung fu,kali eskrima, grappling and muay boran (is more spectacular than others muay thai styles).

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 08/31/11 06:16 AM

I enjoy jujitsu and judo the most.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: What martial art have you enjoyed the most? - 09/02/11 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: blaktiger
For me. I like few styles as kyokushin karaté, jun fan kung fu,kali eskrima, grappling and muay boran (is more spectacular than others muay thai styles).

I like your choices especially Kyokushin and Muay Boran, Have you ever tried Mano Na Mano (Filipino Boxing) its very similar to Muay Boran?