Strong side - forward or rear

Posted by: Chung Hu

Strong side - forward or rear - 11/12/10 07:47 PM

This is a question I have always wondered about. I know that if you train both sides you will be a more rounded practitioner but even then we all have a favored side. I know Bruce Lee put his strong side forward [his right side]and a boxer will put his strong side in the rear [left side forward] unless he is south paw.

While practising a stop kick I started to wonder "Would it be better to put my strong side forward so I could hit with my strongest weapon or should I put my strong side in the rear so I can generate more speed with the weaker side and generate more power as I move with my strong side pushing my body forward?"

I know it will be effective no matter what you train, I was currious if anyone else has given any thought to it before and what they discovered.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Strong side - forward or rear - 11/13/10 01:22 AM

Do whichever is comfortable. Train both of course, but it doesn't really matter whi.ch method you use m.ost. o.f the time. Both work, they just result in slightly different tactics.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Strong side - forward or rear - 11/13/10 10:21 AM

Exactly. I work both sides, as it's not an either/or question. Whichever one you prefer will work fine.
Posted by: E.V.

Re: Strong side - forward or rear - 11/15/10 05:36 PM

Oh wow I never thought of it like that before. I do train both sides but never considered what would be more effective behind or forward for my strong side... I personally train with my strong side back cause it's comfortable.

Maybe also consider which you would want to be hit more, if your strong sides forward it could be more open to attacks then if it where the other way around.
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: Strong side - forward or rear - 11/17/10 02:48 AM

In JKD, they put emphasis on a strong side forward stance. But in any martial arts, I suggest you train both sides because you cannot control what side a fight might start from. And find what works for you.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Strong side - forward or rear - 11/19/10 05:18 PM

Boy, it's been a while. Anyway..

"I suggest you train both sides because you cannot control what side a fight might start from."

I agree you should train both sides. However, the next part is not entirely accurate. You can control which side a fight will start from. It just takes awareness of your environment.