Kicks!

Posted by: Velius

Kicks! - 04/17/10 02:35 AM

Hello everybody, i used to take martial arts as a kid, but ended up quitting due to financial difficulties in general as a kid, and now as a grown up who can afford his own classes, i was considering taking martial arts to keep my body healthy, and learn something new. But to be honest, when it comes to martial arts, i know its about using your entire body, but could any name a martial arts that involves primarily kicking, I've always found any martial arts, whether it TV, or a video, or a tournament, to be incredibly interesting when it comes to using your legs as a weapon as such. If anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd appreciate it.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Kicks! - 04/17/10 06:16 AM

Hello and welcome.

First thing that springs to mind is Tae Kwon Do(TKD), particularly the Kukki style of TKD:

All styles of TKD make great use of the legs as striking weapons, and kicking is almost always central to the study of TKD.

If you need help finding a class, let us know what rough area you can train in (e.g. city, state, province etc...) and some members can recommend places to check out.
Posted by: Velius

Re: Kicks! - 04/17/10 11:09 AM

Thanks a lot ^-^ time to do some research
Posted by: Ives

Re: Kicks! - 04/19/10 04:14 AM

You could also have a peak at: savate/kickboxing/karate/muay thai & muay boran. They also have stong kicks, but not exclusively.
Posted by: Dwip

Re: Kicks! - 05/01/10 08:44 PM

Don't forget Tang Soo Do, basically a Korean version of karate and after training in it, it seems like they use kicks a little more than traditional karate.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Kicks! - 05/02/10 03:58 AM

Muay Thai and especially Muay Boran isn't about kicks.

Muay Boran is all about the elbows and joint locks.
Muay Thai is.. well.. Muay Thai. Watch MT or MMA and you'll get a good clue what it's about.

-Donnie out
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Kicks! - 05/02/10 04:59 AM

Any of the Korean Arts would be worth looking into when it comes to kicks. It seems the Koreans systems all favor kicks more than most other arts. Taekwondo in particular.

I am partial towards Olympic style TKD they train they kicks so you can use them sparring. However be warned their sparring ignores hand strikes. So if your looking for more realism in sparring will have to supplement your training with something like boxing.