Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do

Posted by: PowerliftingBBer

Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 01:21 PM

Modern Warrior Home Page

Check this out and tell me your opinion. The owner is an ex-cop who started this place up in the early 80s. Its based on real life scenarios. They even have a stimulation room where you fight in the rain, dark, and even in a bus.

Crissco

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 01:23 PM

Check out this page also. It enplanes more about the school and the art.

*link deleted as there is already a link in the previous post. *
Posted by: Cord

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 02:21 PM

There is no point exposing yourself to training in different climatic conditions, if the training itself is lacking in intensity and realism.

Anyone who has left their house on a regular basis during their lives has familiarity with the weather in their locale. Not everyone knows how to deal with the physical and psychological effects of violence.

The clip you offered shows people not learning what to do in the snow, rain and fog.
I would prefer to see people learning what to do in a good old fashioned training facility.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 02:34 PM

Whats your reasoning on people learning in a training facility compared to the rain/snow. They also have a bus in the back for fighting in small confined areas.

Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 02:40 PM

This place in on Long Island, NY.

I actually like the idea of training and fighting in various conditions. Their facility is actually very well put together.

However I am not that impressed with the clips on youtube and how they drop their hands in the slow motion sparring.

My friend used to go there but he didnt stay long. He only lasted 3 sessions with me too. But from what he stated the martial art taught there is Gung Fu based.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Raul Perez
This place in on Long Island, NY.

I actually like the idea of training and fighting in various conditions. Their facility is actually very well put together.

However I am not that impressed with the clips on youtube and how they drop their hands in the slow motion sparring.

My friend used to go there but he didnt stay long. He only lasted 3 sessions with me too. But from what he stated the martial art taught there is Gung Fu based.

Exactly what I heard to bro. Its derived from Wing Chung. The whole fighting in various conditions is one of the reasons im considering it. I also like there stance. They keep both hands up, one in front of the other, fingers tight togeather and elbows locked in. So whatever way the attackers coming from it'll be hard to get a shot in.
Whats the reason your friend left? Thanks for the input bro.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 03:02 PM

He left due to the weenie factor.... When fantasy meets reality and you actually have to do hard work to be good at something most people turn into a weenie and quit.

I actually DON'T like their stance as I see holes in it. I prefer the old boxer's stance with the elbows in and hands close to the chin. Eliminates the time it takes to defelect as my hands are already at my vital areas. Plus in the sparring they drop their hands to block a kick which in my book is a no-no. Check the kick with your legs so you dont take your cover away from your face.

But that's just me. I've been punched in the face plenty of times to know what works for me and what doesnt.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 03:07 PM

He left due to the weenie factor.... When fantasy meets reality and you actually have to do hard work to be good at something most people turn into a weenie and quit.

I actually DON'T like their stance as I see holes in it. I prefer the old boxer's stance with the elbows in and hands close to the chin. Eliminates the time it takes to defelect as my hands are already at my vital areas. Plus in the sparring they drop their hands to block a kick which in my book is a no-no. Check the kick with your legs so you dont take your cover away from your face.

But that's just me. I've been punched in the face plenty of times to know what works for me and what doesn't.

IMO the only problem with the old boxer stance is the fact it keeps the face vulnerable. One punch to your face and your [censored]. LOL so he quit because he couldn't handle it? Thats pretty funny. IMO when you kick your not supposed to look down or move your hands.
You also gotta think, when it comes down to it, its more of the student then the art. If you put your heart into Karate for 5-7 years your going to be good, and any training is better then none.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 03:19 PM

Yeah big talker... total weenie. Love him he's a close friend.... but a weenie.

Well I know what works for me as I've put in my time in full contact sparring and still continue to tighten up my game and become more well rounded. Everyone is a little different in what they want to achieve. Also height and weight also come into the factor.

Being small at 5'4" and stocky (160lbs) I have to keep compact, light footed, and land with speed and power.

Have you trained before?

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 03:51 PM

Thats funny, im 5'5 135. Im looking for a full contact, only problem is most places hold back a lot. What MA do you take?

For me its between, Modern Warrior, Krav Maga, Okinawa Kenpo, and Boxing(which I can do at home)

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 04:13 PM

I train in Ryukyu Kempo.

Here's me in September 2009.... I'm ALWAYS the little guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hgZ2ESIxiQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOEHlELYLg

in the second one I had the pleasure of fighting our 265 pounder.... So far I'm the only one he hasn't knocked out... then again I'm the only one with the sense not to stand in front of him willingly ha!

I've been training for 14 years and now I'm on my own. If you want an occassional work out partner let me know. The people here can vouch for me I'm legit.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/30/10 06:00 PM

It looks very interesting, but the clip with the guys in padded suits lacks a bit of reality because they don't make grabs for her or anything. They just seem to run up to her and bump against her. If someone had grabbed her around the neck and pulled her down it might have been more realistic.

Likewise, the clip in the rain had someone in a tight skirt attempting a kick and another guy trying a high kick in wet, slippery conditions.

Of course, I have no idea of how the programme works or what level the people in the film were at, so it is not really fair of me to make too harsh an opinion. I'll assume that that is why they do this kind of training, to find out what not to do.

It does look interesting.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 01:33 AM

I really liked the second video. You did great in avoiding the big guy. And you really have that step through side kick down. In fighting the bigger stronger opponent will always have the advantage it's just genetics. But with your training you managed to nullify is weight advantage over you. Being that you were both padded up you can't really gauge the effectiveness of your shots, however if this were a real fight. I would say the shots you landed on him would have been enough.

It's difficult to press the attack on a larger opponent when your all padded up during sparring. Because of the padding it makes it sport, and even though he takes his shots you can't hurt him to realistically stop him, so once your done delivering your attacks, its his turn and that's when he basically has you, because now your in his range of attack and with his size advantage he owns you. Luckily you never stood in front of him for to long. I think there were around 3 times when you actually were in trouble. Once was hen you decided to trade shots with him toe to toe, face to face and the other two was when you went to the ground with him, he was on top of you. Like i said though great clip, great work.

If you need some motivation why not taking up sports TKD to work on your footwork and kicks. You really did well for someone of 152 lbs. vs 200+ guy. Improving on what you already know just might inspire you to train again. I know your tired of all the kids, but if its one thing sports Tkd teaches is footwork in conjunction with kicks. Forget about the fancy kicks just stick with the basics. That's what I do.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 04:07 AM

I still think that the actuall training displayed in the footage looks f*cking awful. Compliant guys overeacting while wearing padding and I honestly have no idea what the 1st clip is about other than its not fighting.

You will get more out of some proper alive training of realistic techniques, than playing Karate Kid under a sprinkler system.

Harsh, but true.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 08:08 AM

Woah, woah, WOAH.

I just took a look at this thread from the first post. I didn't see those first 2 youtube video's. I was only commenting on Raul Perez's clips.

As far as those other one's I have no idea WTF they are doing. I thought the first one was a joke but according to the clip it's advertising for the school.

The second video was no better. Mass attack training has to be as real as possible meaning the guys who are fully padded up have to really try to take you down. That lady was barely using power in her strikes. Those guys were pretending to attack her, there was no reason for any of them to miss a take down or to even fall on their own face. They are giving her a false sense of security.

If you have multiple opponents coming after you and you have to defend yourself the first thing you do is pick up a weapon. Same thing against an armed opponent, you must always find an equalizer.

They have that poor woman thinking she is Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan holding off opponents from all sides... Shows the level of knowledge the instructor has.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By: TeK9

If you need some motivation why not taking up sports TKD to work on your footwork and kicks. You really did well for someone of 152 lbs. vs 200+ guy. Improving on what you already know just might inspire you to train again. I know your tired of all the kids, but if its one thing sports Tkd teaches is footwork in conjunction with kicks. Forget about the fancy kicks just stick with the basics. That's what I do.

Thanks Tek... I'll never stop training. I'm going to be dojo hopping when I need bodies and some sparring. I have a few contacts around the Island that will accept me to train with them. I'm just cutting through all the BS and going straight to training. AND if my woman allows I'll make some long distance treks to hang with a few of you knuckle heads sometime in the near future.

When it comes down to it all full contact styles are extremely similar. Hit, destroy, repeat.

Raul
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 09:49 AM

Quote:
AND if my woman allows I'll make some long distance treks to hang with a few of you knuckle heads sometime in the near future.

Keep Razor and I in mind if you get near the PA/MD/NJ area. smile

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 10:25 AM

Top of my list baby... top of my list smile

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 12:39 PM

Im def looking for something full contact. BTW Raul great videos you did awesome brotha! What art is that?

Take a look at this and tell me what you guys think, its a lot more contact then Modern Warrior.

http://www.okinawakenpokarate.com/

The video:
http://www.okinawakenpokarate.com/kumite.wmv

Go to 3:13 and its full contact sparring.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 01:15 PM

Master Higa shares the same Master as my system does. The only difference, from what I was told in the past by my senior instructors, is that Higa learned from Shigeru Nakamura when Nakamura was in his advanced years. So his instruction is much different than what my Lineage's master (Seiyu Oyata) learned from.

Nakamura introduced Bogu Kumite to Okinawa and therefore any decendent from his system, to truly honor him, WILL have full contact fighting as part of their requirements. Same is said for my system of Ryukyu Kempo as devised by Seiyu Oyata. Oyata was the all Japan Bogu Kumite Champion so you better believe we FIGHT!

The fights displayed were from kyu grades I would like to have seen some Yudansha bogu kumite fights in that clip. They would probably have displayed better timing, technique, and angles of attack.

I've heard good things about his school. Check it out.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 01:45 PM

Master Higa shares the same Master as my system does. The only difference, from what I was told in the past by my senior instructors, is that Higa learned from Shigeru Nakamura when Nakamura was in his advanced years. So his instruction is much different than what my Lineage's master (Seiyu Oyata) learned from.

Nakamura introduced Bogu Kumite to Okinawa and therefore any decendent from his system, to truly honor him, WILL have full contact fighting as part of their requirements. Same is said for my system of Ryukyu Kempo as devised by Seiyu Oyata. Oyata was the all Japan Bogu Kumite Champion so you better believe we FIGHT!

The fights displayed were from kyu grades I would like to have seen some Yudansha bogu kumite fights in that clip. They would probably have displayed better timing, technique, and angles of attack.

I've heard good things about his school. Check it out.

Thank You for your answers bro, always great and detailed.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 01:56 PM

No problem hope I helped.

My offer still stands if you want to get together and train behind the scenes from time to time.

Raul
Posted by: trevek

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TeK9
Woah, woah, WOAH.

I just took a look at this thread from the first post. I didn't see those first 2 youtube video's. I was only commenting on Raul Perez's clips.

Yeah, there's kind of two threads in one here. it was the first two i was commenting on.

Raul, I enjoyed your clips. Looks a great place to train.

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 07:19 PM

No problem hope I helped.

My offer still stands if you want to get together and train behind the scenes from time to time.

Raul

Ill def keep that in mind bro. Where do you train?

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 08:27 PM

Anywhere I want really. if you are interested email me at rep@cfcd.com

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 10:14 PM

Anywhere I want really. if you are interested email me at rep@cfcd.com

I meant to say the town that u train in where ur matial art is located

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 03/31/10 10:53 PM

Patchogue, NY
Posted by: Ives

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 04/01/10 06:58 AM

@ Tek9: Bogu-karate as done by Raul and the kind I do, is not sport believe me.

Have you ever hit a modern bogu-helmet full on bare knuckled? You don't want to be inside that helmet. Nor do you want to have bad technique.
Bogu (as I use) is to protect the target, not the weapon. It punishes bad technique, while sparing your partner. It is just a tool.
The padding is minimal. You can feel the hits. You can get the wind knocked out. You can get elbowed in the face. You can get knocked out.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Modern Warrior - Bo Fung Do - 04/01/10 09:50 AM

I remember doing bogu back in the day. Definitely not ideal for spinning movements, especially kicks. That helmet is heavy.