Posted by: MattJ

UFC and the US Marines - 03/27/10 10:03 AM

Interesting vid of some UFC fighters training at the Marine base in Quantico:

http://modules.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=misc.marines
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/27/10 11:32 AM

I want to do the last of the mohicans course!!! cool

Couple of things:

1. After the initial demo, the very first encounter on the course, Stann gets swept with one of those very techniques in alive test. Sweet cool

2. Secificity is everything, so the Marines wouldn't have done any better in the cage, than the UFC guys did in Bootcamp.

3. The UFC team were all very reticent to really get stuck in, and declined the conditioning drill because they were all clearly worried about injury due to temperature and the lack of traction underfoot.

4. The change in conditioning protocols for the military is a massive step forward. Charles Polloquin has taken it a step further with the fitness work for the SEALS, as they have communication, decision making,problem solving, and skill specific, tasks built in to their drills, all taking place at highest point of oxygen debt.

Great stuff, and a deserved bit of profile for those who kick ass in our names. Oorah!
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/27/10 06:36 PM

big difference in mentality and approach of their fighting methods. And not to raise anything against MMA, because I like it, but MMA fighters aren't the best fighters in the world. I find these clips to be a clear cut example that MMA fighters arent the end all be all of martial arts.

And I'm using MMA as the kind of training and fighting that you'd experience in a standard MMA camp. Because the Marines use a MMA training method too, its just different.

I think its cool too that the UFC decided to take the fighters out and experience a different side of martial arts (and also support the military).
Posted by: Kathryn

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/29/10 01:52 PM

Over the years I have had the opportunity to meet and work with a range of military personnel, and it is the Marines who blow me away with the level of their knowledge about martial arts. They understand it from both the physical and psychological levels. Many of them train at MA schools in Okinawa and other overseas locations.

I know Army personnel with that level of knowledge as well, it's just seems more imbedded into the Marine traditions.

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/29/10 03:21 PM

I would have been interested to see one or more of the Dog Brothers be let loose on the 'Last of the mohicans' course, as their MA training and application is closer to the Marine regime than sport-MMA's, and this would be a truer comparative evaluation of military vs civilian MA skills.
Posted by: Landus

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/30/10 06:34 AM

I really enjoyed that video and felt gutted that I had to wait for the next episode laugh I was surprised not to see the UFC guys get stuck in as I thought this sort of thing would be right up their street. I think I have had a view that because a lot of MMAists I have seen/trained with are big, strong and 'macho' that they are in some respects elite warriors, but really they are just elite sports people and it's interesting to note the difference and similarities between a fighting sport and a fighting career.

I'd love to do that baton course haha they really went for it; and when one of the UFC guys slipped a little down hill, the marine lept at him laugh

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/30/10 02:10 PM

Landus, I think that specificity is an important point here. As I said before, had this been the same Marines invited to the 'TUF' octagon fo the day, the footage would have shown them getting their a$$es handed to them.

You cant expect guys trained to fight in the octagon to excel at weapon based training scenarios, anymore than you can expect guys trained for military action to excel in a cage with no weapons.

Its all about your experience in application.

Look up The Dog Brothers gatherings on youtube. That's some hardcore weapon fighting right there, and guys who train FMA, and other weapon-centric arts are much more suited to the Marine's challenges, even though they are neither military, nor elite athletes.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/31/10 01:04 AM

LOL I think it was Gonzaga who had a bayonet who was approaching a soldier with a bayonet and he turned his back on the other soldier only to get clubbed from behind. After that it was all over.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/31/10 01:52 AM

Cord - are these the guys you speak of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 03/31/10 03:44 AM

Yep, thats them. You can take any weapon(s) you like - chucks, bo, hanbo, bokken, shock knives. If you train in it, and want a truly free environment that includes all ranges of combat in which to test yourself, then this is the place and these are the people. As you saw, you can even go empty hand and try those disarms that work so well in drills and demo's wink

The Dog brothers themselves, are a small group of friends who trained FMA together as far back as the 70's, and over the years, their zero BS philosophy attracted more and more attention, until today where they hold 1-2 open 'gatherings' per year for like minded folk to attend.
Posted by: Landus

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 04/01/10 03:35 PM

I watched an open gathering video of The Dog Brother's and found it to be really interesting; my cup of tea. I like the realism to it and how some of the contestants were going for brutally powerful hits. Didn't like the knife to the naked face as I wasn't sure about the persons eyes but they were not deterred. The fight around 4:44 was incredible, and even reminded me of the sort of fight scenes you see in films.
Posted by: davidfrank

Re: UFC and the US Marines - 01/17/13 02:26 AM

There are main difference between athletes and Marines is simple the warriors which are only marines but not the athletes. But Marines are claiming the safety as Army requirements but real life of marine is different than army.