Biggest hit you've ever taken?

Posted by: Prizewriter

Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 02:39 PM

Got the idea from Paul's recent posts...

Just for fun, can you recall the biggest hit you ever took? The definition of the question is open to your own interpretation!

Mine wasn't actually in boxing, it was at a Systema seminar in 2008. The teacher was doing an odd relaxed punch, sort of like a cross but with a whipping motion.

Anyway, during some group work, his senior student caught me with it right in the solar plexus. I didn't go down, but I was badly winded.

The reason I consider it the hardest hit I took was because the shot went right in to me, nothing like I've ever felt before. There was a straight line of pain almost from my Solar Plexus to my navel for 2 days afterwards. It was very odd!

What's the biggest hit you've ever taken?
Posted by: paul40

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 02:59 PM

heel stamp to the chest.puked. whole body quivered.fell straight down.incompacitated for 10 minutes.thought i was dying.wished i was dead.

still hurts where i got hit 20 years later.

fear short japanese men to this day

wearing 10 inch pad.

but you knew that already smile

peace
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 04:19 PM

Full power round kick to the ribs (broke the floating rib), whole new experience getting in and out of both bed and the car (bed was worse). You never realize how much you use the upper body until you experience that!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Prizewriter

Just for fun, can you recall the biggest hit you ever took?

2.5 litre bucket-bong of Gold seal resin. In one go. Held for 50 seconds. Total incapacitation for around 90 mins. Able to do nothing but eat jaffa cakes and listen to radiohead for a further 2 hours.

Bow to your sensimilla.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 04:42 PM

Spinning elbow to the jaw from my instructor. Luckily I was in close so I got more of the back of his arm then the bone of the elbow. Dazed me for a sec, but I was good to keep sparring.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/21/10 05:29 PM

Where do I start...... :P

I'll have to use categories, LOL.

* Most TKFO - Spinning hook kick to my jaw. Ever been KO'd so bad you didn't even know it? Yeah, I have. He hit me and I hit the floor. Good night, Irene.

* Most distance - Right cross from a 6'6", 300lb muscular MMA fighter at a Bullshido throwdown in Baltimore. He hit me so hard I went flying through the air, until I landed. Whereupon he promplty seized me in a neck crank, ending my first MMA match in about 10 seconds. But at least he didn't knock me out! *sniveling*

* Most god-awful painful - Spinning back kick to my coccyx, which broke it. You don't realize how much you use your a$$ until you can't. And yeah.....it takes a long time to heal. Sure, laugh it up.

honorable mention:

1: Butterfly and his instructor doing thigh kicks. The first one, I was like HOLY SH1T, just hold it together. Second one, I was like DON'T SCREAM DON'T SCREAM. The third one I said "If you hit me like that again, I won't be able to walk again - ever." I limped for several days, and had some truly impressive bruises for about 3 weeks. The sad thing? They were doing them very lightly - no kidding.

2: Either of the times RazorFoot broke my ribs (both sides, to keep me from leaning). Coughing? Laughing? Crying.

* Most WTF?! - Jeff Speakman (of Perfect Weapon fame) hit me with a 45 degree downward hammerfist into my kidneys that made me lose feeling in my legs for a few seconds. Somehow I remained standing. Was it scary? YES.

Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 02:42 AM

I was in a tournament in Philly back in the late seventies. I was down 1-0 and the timer called 30 seconds left. I came in with a big, over the top reverse punch. I saw my opponent start the roundhouse kick and then felt it connect with my left jaw.

I woke up after (I think) a few seconds. There was something about getting kicked and they tell me I bounced my head off the concrete floor that adds up to a lack of consciousness.

When I sat up I looked over at a big ring out of place to my left, which seemed odd because it belonged over there...to my left. The world sorted itself out after a few seconds and the ring was back where it belonged...to my left. Another odd thing was that the first thing I wanted to do was cry. I wasn't sad or anything, just some reflexive thing. By the way, I didn't cry because I was this big, tough, martial artist.

My wife appeared next to me, which also seemed odd because she had to fly down from the stands in the few seconds I was out.

The ref started asking me simple questions like, "What is your name?" I got that right but they wanted me to be checked out by the medics anyway. They asked much tougher questions like, "Do you know where you are?"

Well, yeah, I knew I was either in Philadelphia or New York. For some odd reason they decided I should go to the hospital, something about it not being a good thing if you can't remember what state you are in.

While I rode up front with the ambulance driver, I noticed that I was talking a mile a minute. Something must have worked because I figured out that I was definitely in Philly.

Got checked into the emergency department and was told to take a seat as they had a multiple gunshot, stab wound victim coming in. He tied up the whole place for hours so I checked myself out AMA.

I went back to the tournament and ended up meeting Bill Wallace for the first time. We ran into Jimmy Roberts on the way out and ended up giving him a ride to his car.

All in all, it was an interesting day.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 08:57 AM

probably when I was still in elementary school. I decided to jump down something like 20 steps in my home. landed in a squat position and knee'd myself in the jaw. Never got hit that hard before, I was on the ground moaning in pain and grabbing my jaw. I'm surprised that I didn't get KO'd now that I think about it. Couldn't eat, talk or do anything with my jaw for the rest of the day and evening. Could've definitely cut myself on my teeth or broken something, but for the most part I was okay after 24 hrs of rest.

havent been hit that hard ever since
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: MattJ

* Most god-awful painful - Spinning back kick to my coccyx, which broke it. You don't realize how much you use your a$$ until you can't. And yeah.....it takes a long time to heal. Sure, laugh it up.

* Most WTF?! - Jeff Speakman (of Perfect Weapon fame) hit me with a 45 degree downward hammerfist into my kidneys that made me lose feeling in my legs for a few seconds. Somehow I remained standing. Was it scary? YES.

Ok, i tried not to laugh but that was damn funny. Glad it healed nicely Matt. smile

And way cool to train with Jeff Speakman, I always wanted to meet him. Actually it is from that movie why I bought my first pair of escrima sticks. :-) And ruined a couch, j/k on the couch.

I think my worse hit was when I was sparring with my instructor. Somehow was both decided to do the same technique. It was a ridge hand strike while side stepping. Well, he has hands like talons and connected the bridge of my nose. All I remember is counting celing tiles and praying that someone catch me on the way down.

Ok, just thought of one more. :-)

Sparring with same instructor and he mae geri'd me into the wall. After that they put up plywood to cover the hole. :-O

J
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 09:30 AM

It wasn't so much a hit as it was totally unexpected.

That would make it my fault, right?

My nage did a quick irimi which I should have been able to roll out from under. I did not realize his lead foot was behind my ankle. No foot tuck possible. I went straight down on my coccyx.

Like, oh, my, that smarts! eek

Sorry if I stole MattJ's topic. This was already sent when I read his post.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 08:13 PM

Jump-spinning back kick. I moved in to catch it but he was faster than me. My hands were in place to block and I was in the right position. But, somehow he changed the angle on me at the last second so it was coming up and right in between my blocking forearms to sink his heel straight into my solar plexus. It didn't knock the wind out of me as I was already braced for the impact. But it hurt so bad. When it hit me I put my hand up to ask for a minute, then stood real quiet. (so I could hear if my heart was still beating.) It was. So I tried to take a breath, slowly. I could. But, man I swore that kick went all the way through my chest and out the back. I was expecting to fall out dead a la the 5 point palm exploding heart technique. wink Instead, I just had a nice purple bullseye on my chest for a few weeks and a rough time laying down, standing up, or even breathing for that matter.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/22/10 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JoelM
Spinning elbow to the jaw from my instructor. Luckily I was in close so I got more of the back of his arm then the bone of the elbow. Dazed me for a sec, but I was good to keep sparring.

Matt,

You might want to think about taking up martial arts to protect yourself
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/23/10 07:33 PM

Not trying to derail the thread, but...

I while back I came to the conclusion that this is one if the biggest contributors to raising your self-confidence re: self defense. It's one of those things where you think, I smiled, said thank you sir, and kept fighting after takig that hit from a highly trained fighter. In some cases it's a world class fighter. If I can do that, what do I really have to worry about from Joe Blo trouble-maker if he decides to swing? I noticed my attitude change at one point when being pulled into a conflict. Instead of worrying about this guy, I was putting myself calmly into the best position for me to defend/escape and watching his hands, breathing, etc. Just that alone has gotten me out of several situations that could've easily gone bad without even throwing a blow. That confidence shows and can really help you not look like a victim, if nothing else. And if the attack does come, you can react better. Fear of getting hit will get you hit more often than not. JMHO smile

Ok, that's it, resume party.
Posted by: GungFuMang

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/25/10 04:59 AM

Kick to the ribs that gave me a 'seperated rib' hurt for ages.

Other than that nothing ever broken, even after being 2 years full time bouncer with multiple fights.

or lucky wink
Posted by: Ives

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/25/10 06:19 AM

My biggest hit ever taken was a brown Ford Taunus, which cracked my skull an eardrum. I was in hospital for three weeks, laying flat.

In karate my instructor turned my legs to jelly while explaining a pressure-point combination. Result: different sized pupils, a iron-taste in my mouth, wobbly legs. I managed to keep on my feet, take a couple of breaths and I got the idea of the pressure-point combination.

One other time I got a mawashi-geri in the back, just above the kidney. The pain kept for a day or three. Breathing was dificult for two days. But the game was fun an instructive though.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/25/10 11:41 AM

sparring at a seminar with a huge black belt who has a fairly long competition history. he hit me in the chest with a cross hard enough to bruise my soul. i stagger and we keep going, no big deal. then in the after noon session, a pain in my chest stops me from doing push ups or even holding my arms out straight. the instructor, who is a massage therapist, puts me on my back, leans on my ribs, 4 pops later i'm 99% better. i only had to live with the bruise for a few days. good times.

another time the instructor who helped me in the last story hit me in the chest hard enough to make the skin on the back of my head tingle and all the lights in the room kind of bleed together and i think i might have passed out for a second.

i used to wonder what a shot to the liver felt like, after watching bas rutten drop people in pancrase. so one time i was sparring with a friend of mine, a black belt in tae kwon do, kick boxer and he's done a little muay thai. i block a cross, fire one of my own, catch a round house to the liver go down exactly like how your supposed to when you get hit in the liver. the pain kept me off my feet for a few seconds and it kept up for a while after. a liver shot really takes the fight out of you, lol.

during judo class one time we were sparring and i was with a brown belt who got me with a wicked shoulder throw, over i go to land on my head on dried out, 20 year old high school wresteling mats, then the brown belt was kind enough to come with me, and also land on my head. i woke up a minute later on the side of the mat. they told me they needed the space my unconcious body was occupying on the mats for more people to train. i miss judo a lot.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/25/10 08:01 PM

Got a few. 220 volts standing in water.

Fell twelve feet on my face rock climbing.

Got floored by a steel dolly hauling a 200 pound roll of paper to the temple.

Jumped of a school bus.

Got kicked in the face while sitting on the couch watching a movie, totally unaware.

Self inflicted nunchucka shot to the face while practicing. KO'd

How embarrassing
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/25/10 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Chen Zen
Self inflicted nunchucka shot to the face while practicing. KO'd

How embarrassing

Winner!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/26/10 03:12 AM

I got into an altercation in 10th grade. I turned my back on the guy and was hit square across the shoulders with a 2x4. I don't know where that came from.

Working at a steel mill the hoists were carrying an 80ft steel beam. I was grinding some welds and never saw it coming. It knocked me across the shop about 25ft into the walls. I woke up a few seconds later and couldn't feel my whole left side.

Took an hard roundkick during my nidan test. It broke two of my fingers and two ribs. I stepped right into that one.

oh, my sister kicked me in the balls a few times. grin
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 02/26/10 05:40 PM

Gee Thanks, Not exactly the kind of competition I wanted to win, but since Im here lets add to the pain list. Should be easy as Ive had tons of "Accidents" and altercations.

"Launched' a two liter( Done by shaking, slightly releasing the cap and slamming into the ground, makes a nice homemade rocket) straight to the chin.

Took a line drive baseball to the gut while pitching

dislocated knee from football.

shattered my left forearm in six places on a staircase

Took a knife to the gut, required intestinal surgery and left a 20 inch scar across the abdomen

tha was definately the worst.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 03/01/10 11:54 AM

Have taken several. A few have been MAs related (But not the worst). The most memorable one (And I've had ribs as well as my nose broken, been KOed, etc.) took place during a grudge match with this big guy in the dojo. We didn't care for each other, and as the sparring went on, it got heated.
At a given point, the guy comes in with a front kick. Since I was much faster, and wanted to submit him to my utmost contempt, I decided to counter with a step away/side kick, since given the added range of that kick and my longer reach, his front kick had no chance of reaching me... Or so I thought!
So I step back, chamber, and disdainfully land this beautiful side kick high on his chest. The kick was powerful enough that it unbalanced him and pushed the upper part of his body back. The problem was that the motion also projected his hips forward beyond where they would normally have been had it been a normal kick, giving him a crucial couple of extra inches of reach. Also, on being unbalanced, the guy changed the motion of his kick from the normal arcing-upward-but-thrusting-forward to just plain arcing up, as he got ready to topple backwards. Meanwhile, here I am with my leg extended high up there, and my crotch exposed in all it's glory... And that's exactly where he unintentionally connected, on his way to falling on his @$$ from my kick.
Did I say he was a big, powerful guy? The kick landed hard, right on my jewels. Nonetheless, in the first second or so, there was no pain. So I landed back on my two feet from kicking, and stood there for a bit. Just as the thought entered my mind that, by some miracle, I had somehow lucked out of the usual effects of a nut shot, this incredible wave of pain just shoots up out of my boys and takes over the rest of me.
I also wound up on the floor, holding my injured "boys" with both hands, rocking back and forth, wondering if I'd ever be able to stop hurting.
On a serious note, I rolled on the floor for a good 15 mins. before I could shakily stand up. The guy was up from my kick in a couple of seconds. Had it been a street fight, he could have put the boot to my head easily, as it was conveniently on the floor for his benefit. Needless to say, I don't counter kicks with another kick from that point in my Karate career onward!

P.S.: It was only after my then wife announced that she was pregnant with my daughter that I quit worrying about that hit!
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 03/01/10 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: GungFuMang
Kick to the ribs that gave me a 'seperated rib' hurt for ages.

Other than that nothing ever broken, even after being 2 years full time bouncer with multiple fights.

or lucky wink

IMO, lucky.
That's not a putdown of your skill level, just familiarity with the odds. No matter how good you are, do this long enough and the "Steve Irwin factor" will catch up to you.
Posted by: WarblyDoo

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 03/01/10 02:48 PM

I've got two roundhouse stories.

The first was back when I was a yellow belt. I didn't keep my teeth together and got kicked in the jaw. Drove my teeth together hard enough to chip my molar. Problem is that my tongue was in between so my teeth perforated it. Was spitting out blood for an hour.

The second time was several years later during blackbelt competition. All I remember was that I was competing against this one guy with phenomenal timing. Then I was on my back pushing smelling salts away from my face listening to the PA announcing; "First Aid to ring five! First Aid to ring five!" and thinking "Hey that's for me." I was told later that I dropped my hands for a split second and he landed a roundhouse right on the button, dropping me like a stone. Oh and if you are curious he went on to take gold.

I am now a real stickler about keeping those hands up.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 03/02/10 04:03 PM

When I was maybe a green belt I tried to jump in on a talented, 6'5" brown belt who side-kicked me across the dojo. Hurt for about a month. As a black belt, got kneed in the common perineal and the thigh was knotted up for 5 months.

Also, while hurrying a sai kata at the end of a class and looking elsewhere, clipped myself in the left eyebrow. Saw stars, almost went down, and had to get a few stitches.
Posted by: Daiymo

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 03/04/10 09:13 AM

while at uni a few years back i was tight on cash so while my friends were in the bar i stayed in our house and drank a carryout. later i walked down to meet them. as i neared the bar i walked past a group of around 8 guys. one of them said hello, i responded sayin hows things, youse headin out tonight? just as i finished speakin one of them completely blind sided me with a massive punch to the jaw- i didnt go out, jus took a knee for a second, his friends pulled him away so i got a good look at his face.

i promptly stood up and went on my way to meet my friends. got them out of the bar and a local kid told me were the other group of guys had went. i walked in, turned him round and delivered around four clean shots to the face, then clinched him and landed a few knees. i'm sure he won't be doing that again in a hurry

but what was probably worse was during a hurling match i had a hurl broke over my head which cracked my eye socket- the doctors told me i was milimetres from loosin my eye. cant rem the end result of the game or the 2hour journey home!
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/17/10 03:28 AM

Old thread but I have some good ones so...
Grandpa put the collar on a dumbell too tight, grabbed a pipe wrench and tried to loosen it...the wrench flew with the full force of my bicep and shoulder (this was a couple years after getting heavily into lifting) right into my nose. Left a nice dent, saw the bone, not fun.

Went for a shot on a wrestling coaches legs, shot sucked, and he jumped straight up for some reason kneeing me square in the forehead with his body moving upwards with a lot of power.

Kicked in the pills by a TKD instructor while sparring. It was clean. Wasn't wearing a cup (never made that mistake again in TKD...though I have in muay thai, no wonder I'm infantry). I somehow sucked it up and kept going albeit with an enormous decrease in ability. It burned and I wanted to puke very bad.
Posted by: Phenix_Rider

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/17/10 08:15 AM

Hard to say really, I've been hit, kicked, and cut so many times. Just last night, I caught two solid side kicks to the hip, and a light hook kick to the jaw. Too slow on a spin back kick on both hip shots, and dropped a hand to block something else with the hook. Unfortunately, I paid that hook kick back with a low-high roundhouse... first kick brought down the guard, second went to the jaw... Misjudged that a bit, and tweaked my partner's neck. Luckily, I was going for "fast" not "hard." Still feel horrible for taking them out of class.

One of the worst was when I bashed my knee and thought my motorcycle had fallen on it and tore/broke something. Wasted an entire day in the ER to get a 10 second X-Ray. Walking around Indy that weekend sucked, and the 8 hour ride home was a bear. Taught me to wear knee protection though...

Caught a roundhouse kick to the head one sparring session, and later a straight punch that clicked my teeth, and then later that same night a hook punch to the jaw that had me seeing stars. Needless to say, I was surprised several times that night by the speed and range of an opponent my size and larger when I'm used to sparring smaller people. The hook came from a guy that moves like a semi or sumo- square and straight on and no stopping it.

And getting cut- or rather, dealing with a cut just plain sucks. It happens so fast you don't really notice for a second. That horrible taste in your mouth, and the tingle, and knowing that flap of skin shouldn't do that. ugh.

And none of it in a street fight LOL Guess being long tall and ugly is worth something as a deterrent.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/17/10 01:56 PM

Biggest hit I've ever taken. Well this is up for interpretation as Prizewriter said in the beginning. Mine was July, yes month. It was financial not physical. $5000 for first year college for my daughter. $8000 for shingles and eaves for house. $1900 for new hot water tank. $1500 for my wife's and my holiday. $1500 for my bike trip. July Total = $17,900. I'm feeling the money crunch now; badly. That is my biggest hit.

As for physical, probably the first time I injured my neck and crushed my C6 and C7 vertebra. Grappling accident that put me down for the count for months. Was hip tossing a guy that countered while in the air that drove my head and shoulder into the ground. Many visits to the doctor, lots of meds, MRI, CT Scan, PAIN, loss of feeling in my right side for a long time ... it was nasty.

While I have been punched and kicked and all of that stuff, I think adrenalin stops the pain from registering to the brain. I've suffered cuts, bruises, broken bones, surgeries galore; I know pain and it knows me very well.

Some childhood pain. Grade 4 across a beam in the playground playing king of the hill. Older kid tossed me to the cement below and I broke my wrist and arm; looked like the letter "Z" for Zorro. While that hurt the more painful part was when the doctor proceeded to put it into place while my mother and nurse held me down ... no meds. I guess back in the early 70's that was just what they did.

Another childhood pain. Age 3-4 playing outside with our toy shovels. Plastic blade but hollow aluminum shaft. While the end was also suppose to have a plastic piece, mine was missing. While leaning on it I slipped and it went in my throat and out the back of my neck. Pulled it free to only have copious amounts of blood pour from both wounds. Rushed to hospital and stitched including re-attaching the hangy ball that was damaged as well. Still bare the scare on the back of my neck. This just missed the spine due to the angle the pole went through. Kids have very soft palates but thankfully kids also are resilient for recovery.

And that is only to share a few.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/17/10 03:48 PM

Dereck, I'm pretty sure that takes the cake (the shovel thing), holy hell man. The things kids live through...
My worst financial hit was 7,000 bucks thrown down a few months ago for a 30,000 dollar truck my wife wanted.
Posted by: kvnkane

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/22/10 10:39 AM

all of yours sound very painfull. my biggest hit was in my first MMA lesson where the instructor thought it would be funny to front kick me in the chest without no p[adding on. knocked the wind right out of me.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Biggest hit you've ever taken? - 09/22/10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: kvnkane

My biggest hit was in my first MMA lesson where the instructor thought it would be funny to front kick me in the chest without no p[adding on. knocked the wind right out of me.

Great, another baboon teaching martial arts. As if there weren't enough already. I realize I don't know this coach but as first impressions go, man, they sound like an a$$hole.

Also, welcome to the forum!