Punching Bag Advice PLZ!

Posted by: Laidback

Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/15/09 02:32 AM

Hello all, i have a dilemma. I want a punching bag but i dont have the support beam in my basement to hang it from the roof. I looked into a free standing punching bag but those things almost 8 times the price of a regular punching bag. So i got an idea.

I will be doing some of my training around trees so i was wondering if there is some type of punching mat that you can wrap around a tree, tighten it, and punch kick away. Does anyone know if an item even exist, and if not, does anyone know of a product i can use as a replacement for my idea? All advice is welcome,
Posted by: Cord

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/15/09 02:53 AM

I dont know of any specificaly made item such as this, but if you go to your local hardware/DIY shop, you should be able to buy a big slab of 6-8 inch thick, high density foam that would probably do the trick. Get a couple of lengths of rope while you are at it, and use these to tie to a sturdy, upright tree (with no fruit on its branches- dont want to get hit back ).

I would use gloves whilst using the foam though - will make protect your hands should the foam not be quite enough between you and the tree, and will also reduce wear nd tear on the foam.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/15/09 12:34 PM

Why not just get a heavy bag stand if you main concern is not having the beam?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/15/09 01:16 PM

laidback -

Free-standing bags are not 8 times the price of a regular heavy bag, LOL. I have seen some new Wavemasters for about $140 or so. You can also look at consignment sports equipment shops. They sell them used for cheap.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/16/09 03:55 PM

http://store.titleboxing.com/heavy-bags.html?gclid=CJm5_eGW9pkCFdhL5QodU0k1Rw

your welcome!

VDJ
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/17/09 01:06 AM

Hi,

UUHH 1st
-this is a pitch that, if swung at always pays for YOUR labor and time at LEAST with knowledge and ESOTERIC skills in use of tools need for std Dojo upkeep of bags (my former self appointed task) and rapidly fading knowledge of things maritime which are no longer common/required knowledge of adult men and women....and possibly a perfect bag to HANG...HANG (standing water type 'bags'-SUK YO GRANDMAS EGGS...and , well I know THEY ARE THE AMWAY OF USELESS $$$$ cost to YOU...thats all I'll say of those wavey good for 3 technique bags that will never do 90% of the creative variety a good (read homemade or Everlast)...ehum, WELL HUNG bag can give you HEADing to perfect technique)

...and I think indoors is best (((if there are more than, 'cough', one rafter...3-5 4x4 post support and 2 techniques to spread wt to several rafters (also given extra structural support by 'multiple board skegging') using the lost science of division of total force to multiple chains diverging from initial bag chain so each of 3-5 skegged/post to ground weight bearing rafters gets 100 - 200 lbs force from a slammin' side kick to a 100lb bag))) unless you want a stanky moldy c rotch rot smell of a bag over time outdoors.

***But Karl,you long winded sack-o-poo, that's more money...where ever can I get all the $$$$$ ?

GOOD question, laidback. that $69 Everlast will do, buy 3-M duct tape for the future (not like thats bad or even uncomon)....or DEDICATE YOUR WIFE/G'FRIENDs' hotttest best girlfriend to ME..HAHAHAHAHA...ME and loads of initial learning curve time and manual dexterity/labor and WE can buy some Heavy weight canvas, You do the below with more detail of course and save $50 off that everlast, more if shipping charge high...soooo, w/o further adieu, a rough sketch of making YO Ideal TyeDyed canvas heavybag, if you made it this far and finish and are curious bout more detail, I,ll try to catch the post, but sadly my time on your quaint dirt ball, UH "Planet" may alter drastically as soon as 2-3 wks, long enough to get all the detail and maybe even THAT which you so DESIRE, a 6ft 200lb black canvas bag with exacting bone/muscle/acupressure points in white for bone and red PP highlite, heck we can even put in pressure sensors for perfect hits, but I think it may cost more and hang somewhere Built for your bag, not you, by F.Lloyd Wrights' 10 best living students

And with the "potential" [have to point out first try may not fly] $$$ savings [yeah, gotta buy an Awl, a sewing Awl specifically and spools of the waxed thread made just as rope, maybe some specialty Awl needles, why buy a marlins spike when you probably have one in the house under the guise of fishing/boat/BBQ accessory, learning knots (for a heavy bag only 3-4 need be learned, knot too hard atoll...ha) Your custom PERFECT for you heavy bag is so close to free...the second time, as you now own the needed tools and have befriended the manager or hottie seamstress at a large cloth production or actual clothiers busy shop for the 98 lbs of DRY cotton cloth shards needed and take ssome beer to a local carpentry shop so you can drink too while a happy future scrap EXOTIC hardwood five finger discount devil-may-care hands you perfect Ipe or other desired wood type so you can make your own tonfa, custom fit for you including a you hand size only handle (need to get some good chisels/few hammer wt and type/~5-6 swedish or finnish wood carving tools [sorry kids, I'd rather the Japanese tools aside from the kidney I had to sell to buy them])...but back to the pitch

VDJ hooked you up dude...depending on what you want and your max upper cost for whole project...I say project as I will freely express my experienced bias (i.e. what "I" like best and have even made from scratch, the everlast 100lb canvas bag is a steal (but, they use sand in center construction, I'm old skool...I want 2lbs of drydrydry sawdust in a not so perfect 3mil plastic bag placed center of mass/geometry of HOMEMADE 100lb Heavy canvas bag [height, circumference, extra re-enforcements SEWN w/ AWL at stress critical points] all determined by JUST WHAT YOU WANT...yes time is money and making your own is frustrating 1st time and may rupture for repairs on your first shot , I want to offer this idea later as you will, by necessity acquire the rare skill of sewing heavy canvas or leathery crap using the Dojo owners bag saving tool ...THE AWL (pause....Gasp...what's an Awl???) and in the mistakes and types bag to make, tools like...wait......THE marlin spike? and will (if you do not know some yet) learn how rope (the awl's thread) is made, and a variety of knots
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/17/09 08:30 AM

Dude, take your ritalin and learn punctuation.

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/17/09 09:07 AM

HIHIHIHIHI,

I like Faulkner and his literary creation "stream of consciousness writing" and so what i'm thinkin' JoelM is that you are SO LAST in saying that very comment that Jesus was painting Lazarus' toe nails pink before resurrecting his ol hine when the first huminoid told me that one and YOU ARE TOTALLY L.A.S.T. you didnt remember to tell me to lrn tu spell.
Dont like it dont read it...or you could continuously reprint and post a corrected version of the BAD post and even take points off ooops ya probably gettin' all riled by now ya got to love a ribald roast OR you have a sense of humor AND the right to personal style or ya suk bat guano cause ya already put me on yuz ignore list...

-Karl. Peace, Love Ya Baby...name that show
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/19/09 01:25 PM

Errrr... Razwell, izzat you?
Posted by: GungFuMang

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/29/09 12:46 AM

You can safely take 2 lengths of heavy duty canvas, making a long pocket, stuff it in with rags and saw a few, 3 to 5 'pockets'. Then create hooks and loops around each end and wrap it around a tree or hang it from a wall.

works great if you keep the rug stuffing solid and stitching tight.

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/29/09 01:31 AM

Hi, MAGon
took my RRRitaninnn ww/w/w/w 222 22lots of puffs from mmmy loooong acttin beta-2-adrenergic agonist ....wheeezzzeh, asthma in in in halere

Yo MAGon I am Karl channeling the transcended being you call....Razwell. ok not

GungFuMang got it, lots of ways to make your own, In this case if yu tear some drywall and nail in bag big plywood wont get tree funk...than again...so what... That will be cheaper, quicker and more easy than my hot air diatribe above.

Stitching Tight- I still expound the virtues of lost arts like the sewing awl, fold the ends to be attached sew length, combine (now 4 layers, Heavy canvas) and sew. only an awl gets thru that, unless you can access 10lb+ critter hide tools for sheath makin in a knife shop...be hard to split.

The bags Ive redone in our dojo were either 100lb everlast no duct tape could hold...fillin for me is coarse shredded cotton or linens, packed tight w/ a soon to rupture bag -o-sawdust...

does any one care why? or did my computer just register 695 logouts?

As the sawdust (please no sand) bag ruptures you have reached a good level to train differentially, slowly sawdust trickles to base, some near middle, packed well the top may still need more (cool but breakable yet easily fixed zipper top helps..awl)

Now low body hooks and cheapo groin uppercuts begin to be capable of snappin yo wrist like a real body...unless you strike with good technique....great to train shins and forearms, isn't the motivation to hit well and then hit well and strong worth a little detail?

Plus you will have to train upper/mid/lower combos not only having to adjust for body part density, but find out FAST just how much a ridgehand to the groin...oopps thigh in the way...snap.

I DO Totally dig the hanging method, if I got the idea right.

-Kar. Razwe. no KarlRazwellKarlRazwell...whos there
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 04/30/09 03:14 AM

OK, let's take a look at a different kind of bag altogether. One of my favorite training tools is a bag of balloons. Get some of the round ones that are about the size of a head. Those are easy to hit. Then get a bag of the teardrop type. These are seriously humbling. Now the name of the game is to kick it and keep it off the ground.

You can play catch with a partner, kicking it back and forth. Or you can tie it to a string and hang it from the ceiling. A little imagination goes a long way with this.

You don't always need the gratification of pounding on a heavy bag to improve your punches and kicks.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Punching Bag Advice PLZ! - 05/01/09 09:17 AM

Thank you for making the assumption that I have already placed you on the ignore list, you have not yet recieved that honor.

While I do enjoy the artistic merits of stream of consciousness writing, I find that using it in the context of a how-to post in a non-art forum where members have all the time in the world to edit their posts it comes up short of actually helping someone. You post ends up falling somewhere between the appearance of the medication-starved ramblings of a psych ward escapee and a third grade dropout who played one too many games of dodgeball.

If I were trying to give someone helpful advice I would actually make the effort to make sense. But, as they say, to each his own, so my apologies for my terse statement before.