Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor

Posted by: everyone

Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/16/09 02:59 PM

I am looking for a way to practice elbow strikes with power in a live environment without causing serious damage. Since kendo armor is made to absorb strikes with a wooden sword, would it also work well for elbows? Anyone tried it? Any other suggestions? Is there enough mobility in kendo armor to make it work?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/16/09 03:34 PM

A full suit of kendo armour is going to cost you some serious cash

What about the kit that a baseball catcher wears? They have a body pad and a helmet that have to stand up to some serious impact. Probably a lot cheaper and more easily available as well.

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/16/09 03:43 PM

The full set is about $300. Just the brest plate and helm will be a bit less. I'll look into the catchers pads.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/16/09 03:52 PM

For kendo armour to fit well (and therefore be of protective benefit), you have to have all the undergarments and bandaging/padding that go with it. Youl also need to know how to wear it all properly- its a skill in itself.
Without all that, I am not at all sure that its a wise or usefull investment even for its intended purpose, let alone being walloped with an elbow.

Maybe ask this in the sword forum- those guys will know more about the impact resistance of the armour.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/17/09 05:34 AM

I would say that the practice of elbow strikes is not for the dojo. The only pad system I can think of that protects was the Body man armor I wore assisting an Officer during self defense for women during the serial killings here in gainesville ~1990ish. Save the elbow practice for uncontrolled heavy bag work so it becomes a street weapon, The heavybag is a great tool and if put into motion simulates the random motion of fighting.P.S. elbow someones face in a fight and you will get free meals, a cool orange jumpsuit and lots of romance.

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/17/09 09:30 AM

Here is some Kali stick body protection that may work...
http://www.mykaratestore.com/store/pages...-protector.html

And a heavy chest shield...
http://www.mykaratestore.com/store/pages...est-shield.html

karl314285 - Elbows are too large a part of my art to just practice on a heavy bag (IMO). They are part of the attacks/defenses/throws/groundfighting. The more I can realisticly train in a safe manner the better. For example: I can practice a throw by using my forearm as the inertia to push over my opponent but the technique is actually a elbow strike that is also part of the throw. I feel practicing the way the technique was intended to be executed would be very valuable. Thus the quest for armor.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/17/09 12:47 PM

I agree with Karl. You want to practice elbows then use a heavy bag; either hanging or lying on the floor. There seriously is no need to practice elbow strikes on anybody no more then anybody is going to let me strike them full in the face with my hands or feet. Training is training.

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/17/09 01:29 PM

Dereck - With gloves and a helm you can do some good sparring and not get hurt with controlled hands and foot strikes. I'm just looking to do something simular with elbows. I think there would be some great training if I could do this safely.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/17/09 06:52 PM

everyone

Perhaps a heavy bag might be just as good?

Not exactly "sparring" but my guess is that you'll end up hurting your elbow with anything thick enough to render the blow "safe" for the wearer---which in turn will make the sparring less than "realistic" for you.

Several karate groups use "hard" armor and steel face masks----and a couple of problems seem to crop up with it....one of which is......

The stuff that can really hurt your has to do with bouncing your brain around on the inside of your skull----a situation that armor can't really prevent---the impact transmits thu the armor----sure you don't get a broken nose but you might get some brain damage---and the effects of such impacts seem to be cumulative.

As a genral rule I would advise being really careful with certain strikes when sparring-----the really thick protective gear renders such blows often less than seemingly effective and lesser gears can still transmit dangerous levels of force/impact.

That is why the gods (small "g" ) invented heavy bags.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/18/09 11:05 PM

OK
its not sparring, it is conditioning a part of your body (forearm though-elbow was born conditioned), it is a partner drill, start a pattern slowly or elbow meets face, move around during drill this isnt static.
Basically you will create this between yourself and others so ideas are fresh. Its just like sinuwali (sp?) stick drills, elbow to elbow while varying foot and rotation direction, vary striking low crouch to erect short stance (e.g. your Rt 45 downward meets partners Lt 45 upward, etc, downward vert meets forearms together fists facing), even lightly this will hurt and post practice treatment as Iron Palm Hot/Cold alternate immersion followed by Jow (dont spend a fortune use tiger Balm) why? Lg Intestine channel runs down biceps to forearms and fingers, avoid damage to meridians if possible by post treatment. avoid exceeding med force after conditioned, bones still break and while the great vessels of the arms are interior, nerve and lymphatic damage is possible and bad, blood clot bad. That is the best idea I have to satisfy your desire...Body conditioning w/ impact near large blood vessels and nerves et al is dangerous but if you like this idea...dont use pads, pain is a signal, lets you know you are alive...be careful

Re: Elbow Strikes vs. Kendo Armor - 02/19/09 08:35 AM

Thanks Karl, not exactly what I am looking for but it looks like a good drill. I also appreciate the caution statements that go along with it.