Anyone for Japanese? or Korean?.(starting a class)

Posted by: charlie

Anyone for Japanese? or Korean?.(starting a class) - 12/12/08 11:51 AM

Hi Fighting Arts people.

can someone please explain to me what is involved in starting a club for either TKD or Karate?

I have always thought of having my own classes but have never taken the step to do so - one of the reasons is because I'm not sure how to go about it.

I say TKD or Karate because - I have 4th DAN in Shotokan (but I would mix in other influences of other arts I study like Aiki Jujutsu) I also have 1st DAN ITF TKD (grading for 2nd in March next year)

I'm not only confused as to how to set up a class(s) but also which style to teach as I like them both. My roots are Karate - which I am loyal to and I love the Japanese arts. Having said all that I also enjoy TKD too - does anyone out there teach more than 1 art. does any one have any ideas or input on the subject?

I was looking at perhaps starting something in the new year, after my 2nd DAN (if I pass) in TKD.

I have many reasons for starting - I enjoy teaching, people have tell me I should have had my own classes ages ago as I am a good teacher. I am also 29 years old and working as a fitness Instructor on really, really poor wages - I might as well be a student at uni with the wages I'm on......infact does any one want to give me a job....or the winning numbers for the lottery! UK or Euro is fine!

I have started to make some plans on paper but thought I'd also get feed back here. sorry if it's been asked before!!

Thanks, Charlie.
(UK)
Posted by: Ames

Re: Anyone for Japanese? or Korean?.(starting a class) - 12/12/08 12:07 PM

(this might be better in the M.A buisness section of the forum)

I only briefly instructed a training group (not for profit) when I couldn't find a decent place to train for a year before I moved. There are others on the forum that know more about this subject, but I'll give you my thoughts (which are pretty basic).

1. Find a location where a dojo that teaches the style you intend to instruct isn't already present. If that is impossible, at least try to find a location where there isn't someone of much higher rank.

2. It's usually best to start small, without too much overhead. This way you can focus on gradually building your student base, so that the out of pocket expense when you do decide to open your own facility won't be as high. So it's a good idea to look into space you can reat: community centres,school gyms, or other dojo's are all good places to start out. If you already work as a personal trainer, maybe it would be a good idea to try and start something where you already work?

3. Do some simple advertising. Put up some flyers at coffee shops, on poles, at the gym etc. The internet is a great place to do some advertising. Sign your name on to every 'School directory' you can find. Establish an email list and hold some special events where you either bring in more well known instructors, or have day seminars coveringa specific aspect (like a self defence workshop).

Keep in mind that for the first bit, you will most likely be losing money (which is why it's important to have as low overhead as possible). But if you work at it, and are passionate about teaching, you have a great chance, imo.

That's about all I can think of.

Good Luck,

Chris