Is it the writing, or is it the message?

Posted by: harlan

Is it the writing, or is it the message? - 05/22/08 10:14 AM

Just musing a bit. Was reading about bloggers, internet, writers, and found myself 'turned off' when I came across one writer that was using the 'friends' section to post comments that basically promoted her upcoming book.

Personally, I've tried the 'myspace' thing, the blogging thing, and find that while I like to write...I don't really want people reading it. If there is a message, at all, when I step back and read what I've written (be it on paper or via the keyboard)...it's really to myself. I don't have any interest in finding an audience, of 'sharing' on a widespread basis...of getting 'the word' out. And it struck me...that martial artists could be viewed in a similar way.

I've met karate types that seem very dedicated, and don't feel compelled to share that interest. And others, that are just as passionate...and feel compelled to talk about it. Sometimes, when I come across a person that is really passionate about their martial art, and feels the need to share, being from the other camp, my first reaction is one of suspicion. 'Is this person promoting themself?' On reflecting, I guess it's not a bad thing. If a school doesn't get new members, it dies out. A martial arts version of 'publish or perish'.

Do others think on this? The desire to do one's own thing, vs. the onus to 'get the message out'?
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Is it the writing, or is it the message? - 05/22/08 11:03 AM

Hi harlan,

MA is so much a part of who I am that I find myself talking about it often. Many of my best friends over the past several years have been training partners. It is not all of who I am (in general company I definitely talk about my kids more than I do MA ), but I do not hide my interest, experience or training.

I am long past the stage of my life and training when I felt a need to promote myself as some kind of "tough guy" (lucky for me, because I am not ), and as I am not in a position to teach anymore, I do not have to be drumming up students for a club or school. My conversations about MA end up giving me other benefits - sometimes folks who have no knowledge or training express a curiosity or interest, and I can tell them a little about what to expect if they were to start training. Other times I find new training partners - folks who may have been out of training and wanting to work out with someone to get back into it. And yes, there are the "what would you do if I did this?" responses aplenty, to which I reply "I would use my ninja smoke bombs to blind you, then do the five-fingered death touch to kill you slowly over 50 years". This usually gets a smile or chuckle .

Long story short, I don't hide my MA life, but don't wave a flag either.

Hope this is the kind of response you were looking for.

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Is it the writing, or is it the message? - 05/22/08 10:01 PM

i've found that unless i'm talking to other martial artists about martial arts, im not talking a whole lot.