Is this really humanly possible?

Posted by: Emotionless

Is this really humanly possible? - 05/10/08 12:08 PM

I heard a story about someone who could defeat swordsmen without using any weapon. Is this physically possible cause how do you block the sword or parry off strikes. You can't effectively dodge all sword strikes...opinions please?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/10/08 12:25 PM

Emo

Depends on how you define "possible"---that some people have done so is probably accurate...that any given person can so is a HIGHLY problematic.

The variables involved are legion, how good is the swordsmen how good is the un-armed guy, what is the actual siuation, how close are they are, are they in armor etc.

Percentage wise the old-timers often figured that even armed men had about 1 chance out of 3 of getting out of a sword (weapon) fight alive and more or less with all your limbs intact....consider how much LOWER a percentage you would have with no weapon.

IMO in "theory" its possible....but in "practice" the chances are "slim" and "none."

Of course if you have no other choice--"slim and none" starts looking better.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/10/08 12:59 PM

You only have to dodge one sword strike. Or better, keep the sword from ever being drawn.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/10/08 01:50 PM

There are specific techniques for a unarmed person to use against a swordsman. However, to actually do it and survive in real life depends on alot of variables. Your skill, his skill, environment, mental preparation, and what cxt said. You could ask in the sword section and get more info there as well.
Posted by: jeff_andle

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/10/08 03:31 PM

Quote:

There are specific techniques for a unarmed person to use against a swordsman. However, to actually do it and survive in real life depends on alot of variables. Your skill, his skill, environment, mental preparation, and what cxt said. You could ask in the sword section and get more info there as well.

Let's say that "live practice" is an oxymoron...

That said, my only personal hope of surviving the encounter would seem to be rushing the attacker, being inside the strike, and trapping an arm. The almost certain failure says my shape would be more slim and my number of uncut limbs would be none.
Posted by: puffadder

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/11/08 01:38 PM

With a full suit of armour I might stand a chance. However, think it might slow me down slightly!

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/11/08 02:16 PM

Quote:

That's what bokkens were invented for Also proper control of distance and tai sabaki are what I see to be the most important, I personally would be very wary about rushing a swordsman. I know I keep saying this but if anyone has actual questions or want more responses from more experienced members please post in the Sword Forum.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/11/08 06:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's what bokkens were invented for Also proper control of distance and tai sabaki are what I see to be the most important, I personally would be very wary about rushing a swordsman. I know I keep saying this but if anyone has actual questions or want more responses from more experienced members please post in the Sword Forum.

Non-lethal at least but still my limited exposure to gum-do includes this gem --

One of the people I consider my instructors - now a sixth degree - was giving a clinic in my direct instructor's TKD school. He wanted to give an example of why a sword high block is angled tip down so he called me out and asked me to do it wrong (level). he knew i could hold the block...

... if you know where this is going already shed a tear...

... he puffed his chest, rose onto the balls of his feet and chambered the mother of all overhead strikes. It connected mid-point on my bokken, oak to oak. The 1/3rd of his bokken beyond the impact flew into the crowd of students(oops, unintended) and the remaining 2/3 shattered in two from the vibration. My bokken faired better - the whip effect of the impact ejected a 4" long 1/4" thick slice from the tip.

I think that taking that strike with a bokken would have been - if not lethal - permanently disfiguring.

On the other hand, all 50 students had *excellent* high blocks all day.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/11/08 06:23 PM

maybe shinai would have been more resilient?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/11/08 11:59 PM

More idiots running rampant giving fa.com even less credibility and more onlinemcdojoism than ever.

Let's all go give the chi dork more advice on his hands,shall we?

Unfriggin believeable.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/12/08 12:32 PM

Off topic slightly I know people who have defended against a shotgun so anythings possible pending the near perfect application of technique, range and the element of surprises.

What one must know is everything has a proper distance for maximum effectiveness, in close minimizes the sword effectiveness and shorten it uses. So at a certain range anything probable.

A 50 caliber Machine guns is near useless if you are behind the barrels, so it is with a sword at a certain range a knife is better.

Anythings possible and should be tried when you look at the option of being chopped up at range or getting close and have a probable chance to live.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/12/08 09:09 PM

Jeff: bokkens are not safe, they were not designed to be safe; what they were designed to be is safer then the alternatives. Also shinai were created so that swordspeople could, when combined with Bogu(Kendo Armor) hit each other on the armor with some force. I have seen splintered shinai after a match, it all depends on the variables.
Brian: I don't like to be mean but I agree with you about the intentions of the original poster. Especially since he/she never responded once the discussion got serious and he/she didn't take the time to post in the proper section.
Neko: Very true and I agree with you.
Posted by: The_Master

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 04:01 AM

I am a dork talking out of his a$$ about something I dont understand.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:25 AM

Brian, to be fair, I think MAists often have themselves to blame for the idea anything is possible.

I've seen a demo film by Bruce Lee where he shows how to disarm someone with a sword. can't blame the kid for asking. At least he didn't post a vid on Youtube showing how.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:33 AM

That's true.

Martial artsist that inflate their claims (Steven Segal,Frank Dux,etc) as well as movies are to blame,but have some common sense people! Kung Fu hustle is not real!!!

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:37 AM

But I've also seen Aikido guys show how to disarm etc.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:39 AM

Well, I've seen disarming deom's too,but they are just demo's aren't they.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:41 AM

You mean Stevie Seagull CAN'T really do that stuff?

You should see how Cord just disarmed the master... as well as dismembering him!

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:42 AM

That was great!

Trevek,

You really should take your turn at moderating.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:43 AM

Thanks Brian,

Maybe one day.

Re: Is this really humanly possible? - 05/14/08 10:35 PM

I think we can declare this thread dealt with. Thanks for all the serious responses for a thread that started as a not very serious one.