Sean Hannity on youth MMA

Posted by: MattJ

Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/12/08 09:47 PM

Sean Hannity (popular conservative TV personality in the USA) gives his uninformed opinion on the rise of youth MMA. For someone that has lambasted Al Gore and 60 minutes for their "lack of research" in to various subjects, he leaves himself wide open for the same criticism. Repeating the old "bare knuckle" screeching, despite video in the peice that shows otherwise, he also tells an MMA instructor that he is "rationalizing".

See for yourself:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9AYrSQavads
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/12/08 11:09 PM

lol Hannity is a tool. My favorite part is when Hannity says that everyone he has spoken to thinks it is brutal, and then the coach asks how many martial artists he has spoken with, to which Hannity responds "I know a lot of people, I'll ask them about it!" lol really Hannity? You get paid for this?

It isn't called "rationalizing" if something is intrinsically rational, then its called "explaining"
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 02:49 AM

Can't say as i'm surprised, he hasn't exactly set the bar too high for himself with his standards of "journalism"....

Erm.. won't editorialize any further on the subject, but to simply agree with you.
Posted by: floatfishski

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 04:24 AM

deleted for political views.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 12:50 PM

Quote:

Can't say as i'm surprised, he hasn't exactly set the bar too high for himself with his standards of "journalism"....

Erm.. won't editorialize any further on the subject, but to simply agree with you.

Hannity has NEVER claimed to be a journalist ! He typically does a very good job in his research. I cannot comment as of yet on what he is saying in the clip as my computer(s) have been having an audio issues and I can't hear what he was saying. I can say this though, it seems that I may be on the "other" side of what the previous posters have already put up about his past comments regarding other topics, which I have found to be VERY truthful, ESPECIALLY in regards to Al Gore (sorry Matt)!

VDJ
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 06:07 PM

deleted for political views

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 07:23 PM

deleted for political views

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 08:22 PM

Now it's DEFINITELY going to get locked down, LOL. Sorry Vince! Couldn't resist.

Avoiding the liberal/conservative handbag swinging for the moment (bad idea on my part, but Hannity decribes himself as a conservative constantly), my main objection was his lack of research on the subject.

Kids are allowed to practice boxing, and kids are allowed to practice wrestling, but kids doing boxing and wrestling at the same time is "brutal" and "human cockfighting". Uh.....Ok.

MMA and martial arts in general are just as safe as any other sport - look at football or hockey. And again, if Hannity had simply watched the video shown on HIS OWN piece, he would have seen the kids wearing all kinds of safety gear. Gloves, head gear, shin pads, etc. Not "bare knuckled". Ridiculous.

If you want to talk about the mental pressure that MMA brings about on kids, that is another story. One that I could possibly agree with. But the physical safety issues are no more damaging than anything else kids can get into at that age.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 08:48 PM

Quote:

but kids doing boxing and wrestling at the same time is "brutal" and "human cockfighting". Uh.....Ok

This is where I think people in our community are out of touch with the general public.

The perception is that MMA is fighting, and most people find that barbaric and brutal. Other sport MA's, Judo, TKD, wrestling and even boxing to some degree, have managed to put a soft edge in their sport both in the marketing and in the watching.

Even though Hannity is not a person I respect, he is seeing MMA through the eyes of the general public, and at first glance there is not question it looks rougher and more violent (by a long measure) then any other sport out there.

This may not be 100% true, but perception is reality.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 08:53 PM

Kimo -

Quote:

The perception is that MMA is fighting, and most people find that barbaric and brutal.

This is a valid point. Modern MMA has marketed itself towards that end too, despite the fact that training MMA is not nearly as brutal as it would appear from the UFC and WEC commercials. Between all the gashed skulls and pre-fight smack talk they show, I can understand how the public can get the wrong idea.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 08:55 PM

Quote:

I also find that the leftist are far more likely to go to dirty name calling once holes have been poked into their beliefs.

There is plenty of that on both sides and I think intelligent people who actually care more about what is right then being right are offended and annoyed by the childish antics.

So lets not drive this thread into lockdown but discussing the record of Hannity or any group. The issue he brings up is the view of many people, even if the report is flawed in it's research.
Posted by: archon_115

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 09:00 PM

Quote:

Kids are allowed to practice boxing, and kids are allowed to practice wrestling, but kids doing boxing and wrestling at the same time is "brutal" and "human cockfighting".

This is exactly what I was hoping the MMA coach would say. I don't see how anyone can argue with that - it's just combining two sports that people in general see as safe and acceptable, with some added protection thanks to the headguards, shin pads etc.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 09:11 PM

Quote:

Between all the gashed skulls and pre-fight smack talk they show, I can understand how the public can get the wrong idea.

Yep. No one is going out of their way to dispel these notions either.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 09:29 PM

Treading on thin line folks with regards to political debates. I'm keeping this thread open but FYI I have deleted posts making political stances and arguments. However I've kept the Sean Hannity pic because it amuses me greatly.

Keep this topic on MMA and kids as it was intended. That is all.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 10:06 PM

Raul,

Both mine and fileboy's posts, though they had some political reference were still on topic of the thread but I do understand your reason for deleting them. HOWEVER, I feel that you are also setting a double standard by leaving the Hannity pic simply because it "amuses" you.

VDJ
Posted by: archon_115

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 10:11 PM

The picture is insulting Hannity as a person,

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 10:26 PM

Maybe they just support the view that Hannity is an idiot.

Anyway back to the subject, the things you guys are mentioning about the marketing of MMA seems very relevant here, the fact is that alot of the marketing contributes to the public perception of this stuff.

The stereoptypical image of the trash-talking violent MMA thug type is unfortunately what is in the minds of the general public.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 10:38 PM

Just as before, right to dirty name calling because he's on the otherside of what you believe and then you try to cover it up by "getting back to the topic at hand". This thread should be deleted all together. Sorry Matt, but it just seems that the biases outweigh the level headedness.

VDJ

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 10:57 PM

Whether or not the guy calls himself a journalist, he is responsible for some horrid "investigative reporting" style schlock that belongs nowhere but the garbage can, and this MMA bit is no exception, it's fundamentally irresponsible to "report" on an issue in the manner that he does.

I will say that he is certainly not the first person to do this with MMA though, pieces like this seem to be a dime a dozen.

The lack of standards in these kinds of shows is appalling.

Moving on though...i'd like to know what the MMA guys on here think in general about MMA marketing and how much it is responsible for public perception.

Do you think public perception of MMA is mostly due to the media or the promoters or both?

Also to be fair, I do understand people's concern about kids being involved in MMA, I just don't think most of the reporting on the subject that i've seen has been very good.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/13/08 11:26 PM

...But yet FOX is geering up to include MMA fights on Prime time tv? Go ahead and tell me they aren't marketing to kids.
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.ht...p;sMPlaylistID=

http://www.foxnews.com/fightgame/

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/04/11/video-fox-news-talks-mma-on-cbs/

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=561041062&channel=370573720

largest sponsor of Network MMA: Burger King.

ah yes, Sean Hannity, your own network is geering up to cash in on this cow - they cannot ignore the money. and soon your network's FOX logo will be side-by-side with an MMA logo, on a kid's happy meal at BK.

What's funny is the conflicting message FOX is putting out: 'Fox and Friends' are promoting MMA during the morning/day. meanwhile FOX's "Orightly" and "Inhannity" are bashing MMA at night.

...or maybe they are just trying to be 'fair and balanced' ? LOL

money doesn't lie folks. follow the money and you'll likely find out closer to the truth.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 12:30 AM

That was the most insightful post on this thread so far.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 08:46 AM

It's interesting to see the reaction to this from folks.

Do I agree with MMA for kids of 6 years old. No. But then again I don't particularly agree with karate for 6 year olds either. (As I've stated in posts in the past)

The problem I have is two fold. First of perception and then of realities.

Perception.

Let's look at what is being marketed (to the untrained person) Many of the fighters have shaved heads, mohawk cuts, considerable tattoo's and when talked to couldn't string a sentence of more than 5 words together. In addition the reality show for UFC presented similar folk (Chris Leben is truly a representative) who was out of control, wrecked a house, and generally behaved in a way that would not be considered acceptable in society.

If this is what's presented as role models for kids, them I'm sorry, forget it. I wouldn't let my kids within a mile of somewhere where this sport was trained and this kind of person and their behavior was held up as a virtue.

More traditional MA's (Karate, Judo etc.) have long held the values of control and self discipline as fundamental to their practice. This is a fundamental difference to the "let it all hang out" philosophy of MMA.

Reality

The idea of 6 year olds, however well protected and controlled, being put in a competetive environment where they can beat on each other, I find abhorent. I would find the same with boxing, karate, etc at this age, but from the look of it I can see why the public may look at the kids in a cage and be shocked.

If MMA wants to continue its growth as a main stream MA (and I believe that BJJ and MMA did a lot to dispel a lot of BS prevelant in TMA) then it needs to look at what it's presenting in the long term in lieu of short term.

If it wants to project itself as unrestrained violence that simply satisfies viewers bloodlust, then don't be suprised when the arbitors of public tastes come down heavy on it and it goes the way of the Dodo.

I believe that MMA has both good and bad sides to it and in order for it to be seen in the right light and continue its development, its image needs to be carefully considered.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 10:01 AM

I agree with the post by VDJ and request that the picture be deleted. Despite the fact that it 'amuses' a moderator is no reason to leave it there
Posted by: SNieves

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 10:34 AM

Well said McSensei. Last I knew, a moderator's job was to enforce the rules, not go by their own personal feelings.
Hasta.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 10:55 AM

Tony -

This thread is not a political statement. It was more a statement on hypocrisy in the media when discussing kids and MMA. Some people have no problems teaching kids how to use firearms, but balk at combat sports. Is that hypocritical? How about how MMA is marketed? Is that hypocritical?

Does anyone agree that Hannity did a good, fair job on the story?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 11:07 AM

In general, part of the problem is that MMA is kinda a victim of its own marketing.

The sport has taken great pains to show how "tough" and "real" and yes..brutal..the fights and training can be.

And its worked.

In a nut shell, now that they have convienced people MMA is the real deal...people are getting worried about kids doing it.

(and to a lesser extent non-pro adults)

Not saying its right of course...there is no reason why, with the proper coaching, MMA is any more dangerous than anything else...such as boxing or football etc.

Its a brand problem that is going to have serious repurcussions for years to come.....how do you take an activity that markets the "blood and guts" and present it as safe for people esp children to practice without hurting and undercutting the brand??????

Tough question....for which if I had a good answer I would be calling Dana White.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 11:12 AM

Guys
I have de-politicized the posts. If you're upset, tough.

I leave it to Raul to decide if the picture should stay or not.

Let's keep on topic. I think it's an important one that should be discussed and taken further.

Thanks for your cooperation.
John

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 11:18 AM

cxt

It's also interesting to note that when BJJ came on the scene (the pre-cursor to MMA events) and dominated events, many of the fights won by Gracie and subsequently focused on were won by arm locks, leg locks, and strangles. The publics perception of these was one of tolerance because it seemed an almost non-violent method of ending a conflict.

I know that many were bloody affairs but the focus was more on the Gracies.

That seems in marked contrast to the striking oriented affairs (especially from the mount) which seem to influence peoples perception of events today.
Posted by: SNieves

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA *DELETED* - 04/14/08 11:35 AM

Post deleted by JohnL
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 11:53 AM

Personally I rather chuckled at Raul's keeping of the picture and if I'd been modd'ing this thread I'd have done exactly the same thing! It's a bloody internet forum for god sake, smile and see the humour in it! Why don't we get back to commenting on some of the interesting points raised in this thread rather than bitching about how crap the moderating team is? Don't you think we already know that? We've accepted it, so should you, now move on....either in this thread, or if the forum as a whole is so unbearable...ease the pain man!

Now I for one totally agree that MMA marketing is to blame for all of this. Sensationalism sells. The fighters are buying into it for bigger pay cheques. The Promoters are buying into for bigger pay cheques. The networks are playing the same song too. And whose supplying the dollar bills for the bigger pay cheques......the consuming public. To me the UFC is now 90% WWE and only 10% about skilled athletes fighting. Like John I don't want my fighting in a cage, but I believe that's a billion times safer than a lot of other sports. And public perception is as it is because of the way Ultimate Fight Championship and it's ilk are promoted. I wouldn't now watch a live PPV if my life depended on it, I'll tape the free re-runs and whizz through the BS amateur dramatics to get to the athletes competing. The MMA industry complaining about this where really it only has it's self to blame.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 12:10 PM

John L

Excellent observation!

The thing that possibly marked the end of the gracies was less effectiveness and perhaps more ratings.
Dana White version/concept is clearly a winner in terms of public interest and market share.

People on the news are fond of saying "if it bleeds it leads"....pretty sure that is a pretty good way to get viewers of pretty mcuh anything.

From a business standpoint MMA and the UFC are an interesting case.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/14/08 07:16 PM

Quote:

Raul,

Both mine and fileboy's posts, though they had some political reference were still on topic of the thread but I do understand your reason for deleting them. HOWEVER, I feel that you are also setting a double standard by leaving the Hannity pic simply because it "amuses" you.

VDJ

VDJ I deleted one sentence of yours that dealt with politics and another post completely because it completely dealt with your politcal views. Anything that had substance relating to the topic at hand I kept.

The pic is simply calling Hannity a douche, which, is friggin hysterical no matter what your stance is. It doesnt call him a douche for his politcal views but for his personal views. I actually LIKE Hannity for the most part which also shows how screwy my sense of humour is.

Here's a pic of me:

Format it and call me a douche if it makes you feel better. I'll print it out and put it in my cube.

The pic stays.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 07:32 AM

I thought conservatives in the US had a strict interpretation of the Constitution - therefore MMA shouldn't be banned. Or Hannity is a liberal. Maybe I'm confused.

Non martial artists sometimes don't get it. Look even at the Kimbo Slice movies. When he fights chumps in the backyard he helps them up, shakes their hand, sees if they are alright. There is a hell of a lot of respect in MA, and I would say perhaps more so in MMA (I am a traditional/classical MA) because you have to back up your smack talk with actions.

Fox News presenters would love it if youth got the respect, compassion and pro social attitudes for yourself and others that MA can teach you.

John L -

"The idea of 6 year olds, however well protected and controlled, being put in a competetive environment where they can beat on each other, I find abhorent. I would find the same with boxing, karate, etc at this age, but from the look of it I can see why the public may look at the kids in a cage and be shocked."

We don't let kids do contact except until they reach high school pretty much. We let them hit us (adults). We still teach them to grapple and do submissions to a limited extent.

The idea of human beings hurting each other (of any age, in any way) is abhorrent, except that martial arts are done for self preservation and personal development. Although I do respect your point of view - it is worthy of consideration.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 08:08 AM

That moron has absolutely no basis for his argument whatsoever than just his ignorant observations.

What a dolt....
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 02:20 PM

If MMA is to survive past it's present point of saturation, then we have got to look at things from both perspectives. I personally do not enjoy watching kids doing MMA. From a parental perspective, the whole thing from the cage to the modified MMA rules just seems exploitive in my opinion. This coming from an instructor and athlete...

The media is pushing the MMA fighters as personalities and role models for the kids to emulate. WWE, except for real. It is not surprising that the kids watch the events and see the recognition, respect and attention given to the competitors, then they too would like to try this "extreme sport". I think it will be a long time before mainstream America is willing to accept young kids "fighting", no matter how statistically or anecdotally "safe" it is.

My personal opinion is that the adults who are behind these events are looking for a pee-wee model of the UFC to line their own pockets more than they are looking to provide a legitimate sporting opportunity.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 02:42 PM

Fletch

Good post.

People are also pushing the "bad boy" image of MMA on TV shows like the Ultiamte Fighter.
Like all reality TV they thrive on conflict and their rateing ie money, depends on it.

The trash talking, personality conflicts, aggression, smart ass comments, put downs, insults, disrespect etc all make great TV--"great" in this case means "good for rateings."

But again, it becomes the public face of the art---and for people to cash their checks on Monday for purposely creating such an impression then BMW'ing about such a perception being somehow being "unfair" on Friday strains credibilty.

If somebody is spending a ton of time, money and effort marketing and presenting their art as "X"---then they should not be surprised when folks not only belive it but act on their belief.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 05:07 PM

Agreed. The whole TAPOUT "In Ya Face", Extreme, whatever else you may call it... has a bred an image that the young and impressionable wish to identify with. The idea that something that is so close to actual combat can be acceptable as an "Extreme Sport" with it's own fan base, culture, clothing, etc., is very enticing. Especially so when the pay per view $$$ spending adults are seeing an opportunity to get their kids into something that has the image and notoriety of MMA.

"My kid is an Ultimate Fighter"

"My kid can destroy your honor student in a cage match."

ad nauseum...

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 05:42 PM

Tru dat!

Personally, I don't like to see the little ones going at it. There's just something not right about it.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 05:42 PM

Quote:

Non martial artists sometimes don't get it. Look even at the Kimbo Slice movies. When he fights chumps in the backyard he helps them up, shakes their hand, sees if they are alright.

And you're using THIS to justify why 6 year olds should be allowed to take part in MMA competitions. Doing so would set back the development of MMA about 3 decades and quite rightly so.

The other concern I have with MMA is that while you watch UFC, Pride, etc. at events/meetings that are professionally run with full medical teams and experienced referees, the undermarket is not so pleasant.

I have been to MMA events where the practitioners were amateurish and mis-matched, the referee's stopping fights reluctantly and only when the crowds blood lust was satisfied, totally inept medical coverage, and more fights in the audience than in the cage.

I don't believe you can judge a element purely by looking at the elite level. Scratch the surface and sometimes you're not pleased with what you find.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 06:10 PM

While I still think Hannity did a terrible job with this story, here is MMA shooting itself in the foot:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15994723

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Non martial artists sometimes don't get it. Look even at the Kimbo Slice movies. When he fights chumps in the backyard he helps them up, shakes their hand, sees if they are alright.

And you're using THIS to justify why 6 year olds should be allowed to take part in MMA competitions. Doing so would set back the development of MMA about 3 decades and quite rightly so.

The other concern I have with MMA is that while you watch UFC, Pride, etc. at events/meetings that are professionally run with full medical teams and experienced referees, the undermarket is not so pleasant.

I have been to MMA events where the practitioners were amateurish and mis-matched, the referee's stopping fights reluctantly and only when the crowds blood lust was satisfied, totally inept medical coverage, and more fights in the audience than in the cage.

I don't believe you can judge a element purely by looking at the elite level. Scratch the surface and sometimes you're not pleased with what you find.

I never said six year olds should take part in MMA competitions. All I meant was that the social conditioning that MA gives people would shut up these talking heads, and there is nothing wrong with slowly and with caution introducing a child to a martial art as they grow up.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 10:30 PM

Children training in an MMA format is great. When they get old enough and can make an educated decision to fight, they should be well prepared. Putting them in a Little League Cage Match so they can be "Junior Fighters" is not the way to develop mainstream MMA.

It's one or two steps above those back yard ghetto fights we all hate where the adults are all yelling at their sniveling child to go "kick that kid's a**". The kids are doing more for the entertainment/amusement of the adults than for their own personal achievement.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/15/08 11:20 PM

I don't have a problem with the MMA training method for kids (of course, if taught properly/safely).

what I have a problem with in martial arts in general is this "Win, Win" mindset that gets kids chasing belts and trophies and titles...only to find later, that what they have gained is so relative and insignificant, it doesn't relate to anything that helps them in later life.

back to topic, if FOX really gave a crap about kids - it would be the number one education channel for them. it isn't. it's the top adult entertainment in the industry...sortof like porn. Sell-out sensational-based news is basically the same as porn. except instead of appealing to people's sexual fantasy, they appeal to their emotional ones.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/16/08 11:06 AM

As an outsider to MMA, MMA folks always annoyed me as arrogant thugs until I saw Human Weapon and Fight Quest. Also have a lot of respect for Tito Ortiz after seeing him on celebrity apprentice. You guys rushing to defend cagefighting for kids has set me back in my opinion.

If you don't want to be seen as a thug act as a gentleman. Calling someone a douche bag because you don't like there political opinion or uninformed opinion doesn't buy you legitimacy in the public's eye. Highlight the success stories of troubled youth responding to disciplined training instead of bravado and insults.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/16/08 09:10 PM

Fletch - I largely agree with Ed. Sorry if it seemed I didn't think kids couldn't be taught safely. We do teach them similarly and safely.

"You guys rushing to defend cagefighting for kids has set me back in my opinion. "

I did not infer such an opinion, please refrain me from this "group" you refer to.

"If you don't want to be seen as a thug act as a gentleman. Calling someone a douche bag because you don't like there political opinion or uninformed opinion doesn't buy you legitimacy in the public's eye. Highlight the success stories of troubled youth responding to disciplined training instead of bravado and insults. "

Maybe that is what that idiot Hannity should have done. Research, like what real journalists do.

Edited for political comment (last 2 sentences)

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/16/08 10:10 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Please refrain from using conservative, liberal, right wing, left wing, green party, republican, democrat, etc in a manner which voices any polictal opinion. Even innocently it could provoke additional political debate which is against forum policy.

The thread is going along nicely and I would like to continue it to do so.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/16/08 11:10 PM

Quote:

As an outsider to MMA, MMA folks always annoyed me as arrogant thugs until I saw Human Weapon and Fight Quest. Also have a lot of respect for Tito Ortiz after seeing him on celebrity apprentice. You guys rushing to defend cagefighting for kids has set me back in my opinion.

If you don't want to be seen as a thug act as a gentleman. Calling someone a douche bag because you don't like there political opinion or uninformed opinion doesn't buy you legitimacy in the public's eye. Highlight the success stories of troubled youth responding to disciplined training instead of bravado and insults.

Why do you paint with such wide strokes in the first place?

If someone defends their pov on the subject then your entire opinion of mma changes?

Do you like TMA to be seen in such a way?
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/17/08 12:25 PM

It's natural for outsiders to paint with broad strokes. My view is setback because of what people practicing that martial art say in the public forum. "Sean Hannity is an idiot. Sean Hannity is a douche bag" and other edited comments doesn't point towards public legitimacy.

Some have made good arguements about how Hannity did not research fully and misrepresented the MMA community. Hats off. I don't think my criticisms apply to them.

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 04/17/08 07:03 PM

I'm not in the mma community. Hannity is an idiot imo.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sean Hannity on youth MMA - 06/06/08 05:43 PM

I echo what Fletch has provided throughout the thread. Nothing wrong with the training and when adults or old enough to make the decision to fight they can otherwise it is exploitation for money by those promoting it.

The video said only 1 state allows this to go on; I don't see that changing anytime soon.