I made it!

Posted by: sunspots

I made it! - 04/08/08 05:03 PM

Just gotta enjoy the moment a little... Last Thursday night I tested for my 3rd degree Brown Belt and passed. It was a long time coming...

Thank you to all the posters here who have answered questions and shared experiences with me.

sunspots
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: I made it! - 04/08/08 05:10 PM

Congrats on your achievement. Feel any different? Do you have to start teaching alittle now? I ask because some schools do and that is the part I'd be nervous about when I reach it. Congrats again.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: I made it! - 04/08/08 06:35 PM

Congratulations!

What is 3rd degree brown belt? I didn't realize kyu levels had degrees..??

Is equivalent to 1st kyu?
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: I made it! - 04/08/08 10:06 PM

Hey good job man, keep it up

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 02:10 AM

I can't speak for sunspots school but in general for those that do it, the last three kyu grades are considered all brown. So sankyu, nikyu, and ikkyu became basically third degree brown, second degree brown, and then first degree brown respectively. That is my knowledge of it in general. Sunspots, is that how it is done where you are?
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 08:50 AM

Congratulations, sunspots. Basically, brown belts are black belts in training. They KNOW just about all they need to, but have to polish it up. And I believe brown belts should always have a bruise on them somewhere, or they're not training hard enough.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 08:55 AM

Congratulation!!! 3rd kyu is a new level for you time to re-learn and modify some your techniques. Things are going to start to get REAL good now!!!

Good Job!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 12:08 PM

WD -

Sunspots is a female.

In American kenpo, there are three degrees of brown belt, going in descending order from 3rd to 1st. They are continuations of the rest of the kyu ranks, although that term is not used in AKK.

Congrats sunspots!
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 04:48 PM

Oops thats embarrassing. I mean... I know shes a girl, I just use "man" for everyone
Posted by: sunspots

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 07:29 PM

No offense taken to being called "man." When I teach a class I get called "Sir" a lot. I figure at least they are trying to be respectful and proper.

For Joshua: In my school we start teaching officially at about Blue Belt, but are always expected to help out the lower ranks. I will be doing the same thing with a little more authority now!

Thank you again to all!

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 07:43 PM

Thanks, I am quite aways from that myself.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: I made it! - 04/09/08 09:32 PM

you go girl!
well done!!
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: I made it! - 04/10/08 10:25 AM

Hello Sunspots:

Congradulations... now the "work" begins

Jeff
Posted by: horizon

Re: I made it! - 04/10/08 10:31 AM

Congratulations Sunspots!