Learning the same Kata, but different method.

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Learning the same Kata, but different method. - 03/28/08 10:05 PM

Since I have been back practicing karate I ofcourse have been working on the katas I remember from Goju. I remember them rather well. The last one I was working on was Shisochin but I don't really do that too much because I don't remember all of it.

Since I'm practicing with a different teacher with different methods of training, and different forms of katas I don't personally like doing their katas. I want to learn them for the sake of being a part of the class and ofcourse expanding my knowledge this way. The Sensei just doesn't train on katas like my previous Goju Sensei did.

Everything seems more sloppy, not as crisp, sweet, and serious. Ofcourse if I were to be leading the students through a kata I would teach them how I was taught to do kata. Kata is important to the class and the Sensei understand this he just isn't as good a teacher when it comes to performing kata.

If we do a kata that is familiar in both Goju and his martial art I typically ask which he would like me to do. I'm sure he wants me to work on learning their kata more than focusing on mine.

Should I still practice and focus on knowing and understanding the Goju kata that I have the most experience with or should I just completely focus on these new ones?

I'm just sharing my thoughts but I don't want to give up the original katas I learned, but I also don't want to mix up and confuse katas from both systems.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Learning the same Kata, but different method. - 03/28/08 10:56 PM

Quote:

Everything seems more sloppy, not as crisp, sweet, and serious.

I've never tasted kata. Um,anyway, I think you should concentrate on what your current school does rather than on what you did before, or both. Your kata don't have to look sloppy just because theirs does.

What kata are you learning?

This might be better suited for the karate forum.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Learning the same Kata, but different method. - 03/29/08 02:20 AM

You can do any style's kata in your own manner. Never get sloppy and lower yourself to others' standards. Maybe your new sensei never was an exceptional karate-ka prior to becoming a teacher...you can't teach what you do not know.

If you're committed to remaining @ this new dojo, learn their kata but don't forget your old kata. Just do it the best that you can and you may become the "gold standard" and bring every one else's technical skill up a notch or two.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Learning the same Kata, but different method. - 03/31/08 06:28 AM

By...
Quote:

different methods of training, and different forms of katas

...do you mean to say that the katas are the same but you're looking at different applications, or that the katas are somehow intrinsically different?

If it's a case of a different kata, I'd say it's a case of learning the new kata and studying it as you will. I get the impression that's not quite what you meant.

Another thought that occurs; you seem to have a different skill set to others in the school. It may just be a different training emphasis that makes their kata performance seem sloppy or otherwise inferior to yours.

Can you give an example of something within a kata that is causing conflict?