scuffed floor and students

Posted by: alphawolf

scuffed floor and students - 02/09/08 10:04 PM

Ah well, as some of you know already, I have hyperhidrosis on my hands/feet. Anyway, after a few months now of being in a new dojo my current sensei( and owner ) is giving me crap about his floor being marked up by my shoes. He is giving me the option of leaving or not using the shoes, and the latter really isn't very realistic in my situation. If you were him, would you give up a student for your floor?
Posted by: oldman

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/09/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

He is giving me the option of leaving or not using the shoes, and the latter really isn't very realistic in my situation.

The choice is yours. That is the reality.

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/09/08 11:03 PM

that IS the reality, yes, but the problem is that this is the second time I have had to leave a place because of an owner's nitpicking BS on something I have no control over. I need to understand the mindset here; If someone opens up a dojo, why in the hell would they assume their floor would not get marked up?

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/09/08 11:21 PM

If you have decided to leave already why put up a poll. Whats is the point. Do you want people to say how mean the owner is. In each school the owners gave you the opportunity to continue your training. You (it appears) are ready to leave not because they have a problem with your situation but because you do.

You say you have no control over your problem. The owner has not asked you to control your sweating. He has asked you to not damage his mats. That, you have control over.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 12:27 AM

wrestling shoes if you are on a mat.

non-slip socks if you are on a wood floor.

or if you have some kind of special shoes you are prescribed, then slip over a pair of those stretchy underarmour socks.

oldman's right - the only problem that you have is not the floor, not the sweating, not the 'rules'...it's getting over assuming a victim's role and start to get innovative to solve the minor obsticle that will prevent your training which you enjoy more than complaining about obsticles.

...or not.

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 01:16 AM

I couldn't care less what people think about his personality. I put the poll up to understand why he is being a jackass. If a majority agrees with him, then maybe he's right; if not, hes wrong. Also, socks don't work because the sweat will go through no matter what--i've tried it.On shoes, it doesn't. Bare-foot training is nigh impossible. It isn't a matter of just getting over it mentally, its a physical problem that requires shoes.
I also haven't made my mind up about leaving yet because I can't afford to. The closest place is way too far when work and time is considered. Might be easier to just sit at home and vegetate
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 01:43 AM

It's his floor does he not have the right to protect it. It is you who has to find a solution to this not the instructor , you are the one with the condition not him. and you have to be the one to adjust. why is he a jackass, sounds like your a whinger to me..

Bottom line it's his floor and he has every right to demand no shoes on it. if you are unable to meet those terms then Bye Bye. and please don't go hinting at discrimination, discrimination doesn't hold if damage is a result of inclusion.

There is another option that you haven't thought of.......
why don't you offer to have the floor professionally polished every 6 months or so. he may not except this because in the mean time you are still scuffing his floors and that reflects on the dojo.

take on board what has already been said and stop acting like a whinging cry baby, get over it and find a solution.

Do you spa with shoes on isn't this a bit unfair and dangerous to your partner. do you use training equipment isn't it a bit unfair that your also marking up the equipment.

before you start calling me a jackass I Teach RBSD with the shoes on, because thats most likely to be what your wearing in a self defence situation. but even I recognise the right for an instructor to demand a no shoe policy.

vent over
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 02:00 AM

sometimes I have to wonder if people actually read and take words in for processing.

Quote:

I couldn't care less what people think about his personality. I put the poll up to understand why he is being a jackass. If a majority agrees with him, then maybe he's right; if not, hes wrong.

could you point out the part of my post where I even remotely mention anything related to this part of your response? I get your message though: "No advice wanted."

got it.

Quote:

Also, socks don't work because the sweat will go through no matter what--i've tried it.On shoes, it doesn't. Bare-foot training is nigh impossible. It isn't a matter of just getting over it mentally, its a physical problem that requires shoes.

no. it IS a falure of YOU coming up with a solution. YOU are responsibile for your training. you are not a customer that needs to be accomidated, you are a student responsible for your own problems. If a student had a bowel irregularity problem, would the teacher be expected to mop up after him or would it be assumed the student would figure out on his own a diaper solution?

Quote:

I also haven't made my mind up about leaving yet because I can't afford to. The closest place is way too far when work and time is considered.

You seem to be in sabatage mode. If you are at a place just because it's a last resort, have no quams about bad mouthing your instructor in public, then it would seem you have already pretty much made up your mind....or your fate, whichever materializes first.

Quote:

Might be easier to just sit at home and vegetate

ahhh, it's the easy solution you are looking for, I see. in that case yes, that is your best option. get your foot fan out and enjoy the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PN7Xbexq4

lol...good luck and hope the attitude works out for you, kido.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 02:42 AM

I sympathize w/ your predicament but I'm not on your side. Check-out your poll - you're wrong by your own words.

My sympathy for your situation ended the second your sense of entitlement became clear. Giving you "crap" about his floor is his prerogative because it's his business. Although our society tries to accommodate & include as many people as possible, we can't accommodate everyone.

Maybe YOU need to make the accommodations now instead of expecting the world to cater to you. Why don't you just accept things as they are & try Arnis, JKD, TKD, Wrestling, Boxing, Savate, Krav Maga, Fencing or any number of hybridized MA that allow it's practitioners to wear SHOES.

And if you decide to get all "ACLU" on your instructor, you'll show what you're really made of.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 08:45 AM

Alpha -

Have you tried different kinds of shoes? What about something like Tabi, etc?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 08:53 AM

Well, i agree with the majority. His school, his rules.

Like hedkikr said, find something else that allow you to wear shoes? What is your goal in the art or systems?
Posted by: SNieves

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 10:32 AM

Why not join a school that allows shoes, i.e.-Wing Chung, Jeet Kun Do, or most Kung Fu schools? You get what you are looking for (Martial Arts Training) and don't have to worry about scuffing up floors.

These options given to you might work. Instead of harping on the negative situation, find a solution. Oh, someone said that already? Sorry.

Careful what you ask in public and accept the answers given (even if you don't agree it's our opinion). This isn't about right and wrong, this is about your needs and the sensei protecting his establishment. They are both NOT wrong, what's wrong is your inability to cope.

Osu.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 10:58 AM

Quote:

I put the poll up to understand why he is being a jackass.

He's not,you are. Look at it from his perspective. Do something to comply or leave, the choice is yours.

p.s. quit whining!
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 11:50 AM

Hello ALphawolf:

I've followed your misfortune since you first wrote of it. Help us... how you are presenting it to him?

Marked up in what manner again??? I agree creativity on someones part should be the blessed solution! If your shoes are damaging the mats... then other shoes are required. If we're talking about drag marks, scuffs of that kind... his floors obviously but IMHV he is a complete loony.

Get us pictures !

Jeff

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 01:51 PM

oldman
Quote:

The choice is yours. That is the reality.

alphawolf
Quote:

that IS the reality, yes, but

The problem is not hyperhydrosis or a looney teacher. The problem, at least as I see it is...

Quote:

yes, but

You think someone or something should do something or be something different than they are doing or being.

This is just one of lifes lessons. There are things you can't control. One of them is other people.

The other lessons..

People seek their own intrests.

Life is not fair.

Or, this situation is not happening to you. It is happening for you.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 08:15 PM

It seems to me that the instructor has already tried working with you to handle your "situation". I don't know what kind of "scuffing" you are doing to his floors, but remember, flooring is expensive, and depending on the kind of scuffing you are doing, time consuming to clean.

Proper MA shoes should not leave scuff marks on the floor. What kind of shoes are you wearing? Try a different brand, or for that matter, get some foam sparring foot gear that is fully enclosed on the bottom.

You ask, why is he being a jackass? How would you feel if you had just spend several hundred dollars on putting down new carpet and someone walked in off the street with muddy boots?

If you are damaging his equipment, then you need to take responsibility for cleaning or replacing it, and at the very least stop any more damage from occurring. Quit whining about it and work towards finding a solution.

Laura
Posted by: cxt

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/10/08 08:20 PM

Alpha

If you really are "marking up" his floors then its not exactly "nitpicking BS" now is it????

Good, sprung, hardwood floors are an investment---and if your renting--your RESPONSIBLE for any damage to the floors--and getting scuffs and marks off is often expensive.
Might very well be a highly unfortunate business decision--the cost the fix the floors might be more than you pay for training.

Not sure if were are just talking "marks" as in stuff that can be cleaned up with a little sweat and elbow grease---which if your responsible for said marks---then you should be providing BTW.

Or actual damage to the floor itself?

Might make a difference---it would to me.

Seems pretty simple to me---as pretty much everybody has pointed out.

A-Quit, there is no "right" to martial arts training.

B-Find a pair of shoes that don't leave "marks" if they can up with shoes that don't mark up a basketball court--then presumably you can find a pair that won't mark up your teachers floors.

C-Find a school where shoes are requried--such a boxing gym etc.

D-See if you can't cleant he floors yourself.

Gotta say it though--judgeing by the general attitude you have expressed on this particular thread---the problem may not just be the marks on the floors---if you approached the teacher like your tlaking about them here----well--I would not want to help you--I'd want you gone from my school.

Sorry to say it.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: scuffed floor and students - 02/11/08 10:13 AM

I voted early. Practicing a barefoot art, I can appreciate what it is like to work on a clean floor. Scuffs or grit can make a mess of a hakama real quickly.

How to I get to see the results of the poll?