My previous Instructor is now my student

Posted by: Dobbersky

My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 04:01 AM

Sensei, Sempai, Kohai, Shifu, Kru, Arjan

I am at a dilemma, My Tang Soo Do Instructor is now my Student in Ashihara Karate. I'd not seen him for many years apart from now and again through passing in the street.

He has joined my Dojo, and was willing to start from the beginning. I insisted that he wear his black belt. I am grading him directly as a 1st Dan. I just feel strange talking to him as a student. I know Ashihara is different to Tang Soo Do but I just don't know.

Your thought please

Osu

Posted by: General_Neo

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 04:20 AM

Well..personally i think you said it..
It IS different..when starting a different MA..you start from the beginning.
My Uncle is a 2nd Dan in Shotokan..he joined the Taekwondo club where i practise..and started from white again.

Personally..i think..i would be same as you in feeling a bit weird talking to your old master as your student..but he is a master in Tang Soo Do.

He still has to start from the beginning in your art..

Hope i helped.

Take care,
Neo
Posted by: Cord

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 04:58 AM

I think it is unfair of you to insist he wears his black belt. If you respect him that much, you should let him make his own decision. It is a completely different art, and I would think he will feel uncomfortable having attention drawn to his unrelated experience whilst tackling a new and unfamiliar set of challenges.
Excellence in one thing, does not guarantee, nor imply excellence in all.
Did you ever think that he might be looking forward to just relaxing and being a beginner again? there is a weight of expectation on instructors, maybe he is just looking to recapture the fun and spontenaeity of the arts again?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 05:08 AM

Definitely agree. He could be there to learn nothing more nothing less..Seems like he is fine/content with starting as white again. I am sure with his prior experience he will advance rather quickly....

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 05:19 AM

I see where you are coming from, As I am a Kyu Grade in Wado Ryu and there to enjoy the training.

But its the fact that He was my instructor. I thought that for him to wear any belt other than black would be dishonourable.

Within the Ashihara UK syllabus, there are only 4 kata to practiced for 1st Dan (I am only grading him to 1st Dan and he will have to grade through the Dan Grades within his own timescale), I am teaching him these. Then we can work through the full syllabus in his own time through all the kata etc.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 05:54 AM

Why would it be dishonorable? Different style...One belt in one styles means nothing in another....

The man makes the belt not the belt makes the man...
Posted by: Cord

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 07:02 AM

Quote:

But its the fact that He was my instructor. I thought that for him to wear any belt other than black would be dishonourable.

If he had issues being taught a different syllabus by a former student, he simply would not have joined your class would he?

ever consider the pride he must take knowing that someone he helped on the martial path, has achieved the skill and understanding to teach in their own right?

He seems to a have no hang ups about the situation, or doubts in your ability- i suggest you follow his lead.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 07:38 AM

Hi Ken. I realize that this is somewhat uncomfortable for you. I do agree with Cord and MrMoyer that he should be treated as anyone else - no more, no less.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 07:55 AM

Quote:

...But its the fact that He was my instructor. I thought that for him to wear any belt other than black would be dishonourable...

I agree with you, Dobbersky. Both styles are karate. Had it been say TKD and judo, I could see starting over. But you are recognizing his past accomplishments.

There must be similarities (particularly in grappling) between the styles.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 07:58 AM

Thank you all

For your guidance and I will start to treat him like every other student of mine.

Although it has already been agreed that he will grade as 1st Dan then continue through the syllabus before he will be able to take his 2nd dan. My other students have accepted him into the group too as a blackbelt

Osu
Posted by: Dereck

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 01:03 PM

I'm with the majority and treat him like a student because after all he is a student. He is not teaching the class, you are, so he must learn like everybody else does. With his skill he will most certainly advance faster then most and will be at the appropriate belt levels in no time as did one of our students who was a black belt that decided he's start at white again and then progressed quickly through the system. He was allowed to test from what he felt comfortable so the first time he tested from white to blue belt and then the next from blue to red/black belt. Then his third test was the black belt test. As for this gentlemen, your student (old Instructor) must show each level to advance like any other student.

I understand how you feel as I would feel the same way however you also have to look at it from the student's side as well as how your other students see it. Allowing to advance faster due to his skills is one thing but letting him jump through a system that is different is another. And ultimately it is your choice. What would your old Instructor want you to do? What would he do if the roles were reversed? Just some thought.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/07/08 01:31 PM

I just found this thread now.
I applaud this teacher's humility in saying he will start as a white belt.
Having him start as a white belt should not be considered demeaning or disrespectful at all. You can still respect him as a black be;t and teacher of Tang Soo Do.
But this is Asihara. He does not know Asihara. He can not help teach or fulfill many of the other roles the black belts play.
The juniors will always be looking at the black belts for leadership, to follow how they do things, ask them for help with technique, kata, etc. He can't do that.

It's probably best to have him wear the white belt, even if his first test will be for Shodan.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 08:24 AM

Hello Ken:

This is an unusual & interesting situation, keep us all posted would you?

Jeff

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 11:48 AM

I will definately keep you posted on how this develops,

The worst time was giving him pressups for getting an already practice Kata wrong.

He did them without question.

Sparing after Class is better than I remember it too. As blackbelts we tend to put more power into the strikes etc but it always starts and finishes with a bow
Posted by: schanne

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 11:52 AM

For what it's worth, if someone has trained at another school for many years and has attained a dan rank I will let that student be put on a probationary period of a year. They do not have to wear a white belt and they cannot wear their previous rank either, no belt. After about a year they can test for their first dan. I feel this is fair since they have to learn a new set of kata's self defense ect.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 12:12 PM

As I always say you can't take the skill/knowledge away wheather he wears a white belt or Black belt you and those that practice with him will know that he is NOT a white belt beginner, basics are basics.

I find that he is a very humble man and has that prepetual student attituded that will take him far imho.

I've done that myself and practice that among my students in animal class each Dan r> guides the monthly class in what he feels that day is of important, this is a class where rank is not acknowledged, just can you kick a$$. But if you want to learn something you should go were the skill you seek is being taught.

A former student or past instructor. I think the thing is to don't skip over anything the fine points that others may not appreciate he will/may because he can use and recognize these fine points. But don't be too basic either with him.

I personally like taking Dan level people aside and working with them mono mono and drilling the lower level basics and useable applications. Being that progress is based on indivdual effort and accomplishment I want to take him at a level that he can learn the system as full and effiecent as possible. Where beginers may take 4-5 years to reach a certain level it may take him only 1.5 - 2 years, pending his effort and purpose.

Another thing is there is no greater compliment is for a former Instructor to see your growth as Martial Artist that he wants to learn from You. Be proud he has pass you the torch.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 01:08 PM

Quote:

For what it's worth, if someone has trained at another school for many years and has attained a dan rank I will let that student be put on a probationary period of a year. They do not have to wear a white belt and they cannot wear their previous rank either, no belt. After about a year they can test for their first dan. I feel this is fair since they have to learn a new set of kata's self defense ect.

Schanne, I'm guessing that only applies to if the school they were at did the same curriculum that you teach, correct? For myself achieving a Dan grading in TKD and having 3 years experience on and off of BJJ, I just started Judo on top of my other training last night and I am a white belt and rightly so; a whole different system.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 01:14 PM

I am curious, what is "already practice Kata".

And you guys give punishement for doing kata wrong? How wrong was it?

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 01:32 PM

Most MA foundations are very similar and a person with years of expierence usually catches on very quickly and can adapt to any new style....most.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 01:53 PM

Is that a shot at me with that gremlin Schanne? If so then I totally disagree. If you did only Taekwondo or Karate with no ground work then stepping into a grappling art like Judo and BJJ you would not have a clue and your experience may even be harder as you have to untrain some of your previous thinking of how things are done.

While I have ground skills, last night in my first class of Judo there were many differences and many barriers I will have to overcome. There will also have to be some untraining of things I'm used to doing in order to move on. At least they are both ground work type of arts which will make it easier but there is no way that a TKD/Karate guy is going to walk in and cake walk through this, no way at all. Two different arts at two different levels of training.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 01:57 PM

Quote:

I can't speak for this but it may be like our system. When doing patterns some days as a group, if you do one incorrectly you may have to do some type of physical punishment such as push-ups or monkey-jumps or a combination of more then one. In fact when doing patterns a couple of weeks ago out of 10 patterns I had to do 80 push-ups (8 patterns, 10 push-ups each). I had got so lax in my patterns as they are not a high priority with me that I never trained them like I should have been doing and paid for them. Grant it I can do push-ups till the cows come home and 80 does not even break a sweat, however it is a good training tool.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 04:41 PM

Hello Schanne:

What's your position re: uniforms, given your belt policy?

Jeff

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/08/08 04:45 PM

Hello Mr Moyer:

<<How wrong was it?

Jeff

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/09/08 01:42 PM

eh? How wrong was what?

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/11/08 05:26 AM

Quote:

With reference to this I espect a Higher Level from potential Dan Grades. As for the Grading to 1st Dan, No mistakes are allowed, hence the reason why the 'punishment' this is two sided

A - It makes the student more determined NOT to make a mistake in his/her Kata.
B - It helps increase stamina for the Grading which includes 10 3 min fights.

Not Too sure if this is considered 'Old School' but it seems to work well

Osu

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/11/08 08:26 AM

Let me re-phrase the belt thing. They can choose to wear a white belt if they want but most will not. They can't wear their previous belt until their probationary period of about a year is up and they test. I do require all student to train in a gi unless its an MMA class, I don't teach those guys anyway...that's for the young bucks. We have two students right now, a father and son who came from a TSD school and they had their BB's in that style. Both have been training with us now for about a year learning their new self defense, kata etc and have acclimated fine. They are both testing for thier BB in April and have not had any problems with our probationary period. I find them very polite and eager to learn.
Posted by: trevek

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/11/08 08:32 AM

It sounds like he is still your master in your mind. If so, ask him to tell you what is best.

He sounds like a very humble and genuine person. Not many people would don a white again. Could you introduce a system like a black belt with a white stripe to show this person is a BB but not in your system?

Maybe ask your superiors in the association and see if they would agree to fast-track him or something based on 'time-served'.

Re: My previous Instructor is now my student - 02/11/08 08:57 AM

Guys

I have also discussed this with my Sensei in Ashihara. He is of the understanding that a BB is a BB, He's told me he is happy for my Friend to adorn his BB although he will not be able to grade at the same grade as he was in Tang Soo Do, this in itself is a big step down. However He is able to grade to First Dan Directly.

The one thing is Black and White belts tend to be worn by GKR representatives who are still lower grade Kyu grades so unsure what this would summise.

Wow, this thread has received some excellent thoughts and guidance, I am truely grateful for you responses

Osu