Cross-Training

Posted by: everyone

Cross-Training - 01/31/08 12:13 PM

Has anyone found that cross-training in a non-martial arts skill helped them in their MA practice? I have heard of sword masters training in calligraphy to improve their martial skills. There is also things like origami, bonsai tree, rock gardening, etc.. the traditional masters would also practice (at least in the movies).

For me, yoga has helped flexibility, learning Spanish helps to exercise some brain cells I need to remember kung fu techniques, and gardening reminds me of the need to cultivate through patience.

Posted by: schanne

Re: Cross-Training - 01/31/08 12:46 PM

MMmm...I wouldn't consider that cross training, more for relaxing if your constantly training. Cross training would be more like if your training at a traditional karate school and you visited a BJJ school once in a while to beef up your ground skills.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Cross-Training - 01/31/08 01:10 PM

It was common for the Shaolin monks to train in another skill outside of their Marital art training. It was considered self awareness skills as painting, writing, music and poetry etc...

I once a knew a TKD man that studied ballet to enhanced his MAs skills, he felt that both enhanced each other where enjoyable. Though I kidded him about his tu-tu and tights he was a bad man tournament sparring, fair street wise still strong and fast.

Thats shoulder and hip stuff he did before jumping in dance I thought was graceful but amusing. I was ignorant thats was near perfect technique for dancing.

Cross training is training in various fields of study, it doesn't have to be Martial arts or competitive skills. As long as you learn differ skills.